Thread: Trouble Reading 3.8 v6 ECU

Potential Tuner

Trouble Reading 3.8 v6 ECU

Hello,

I have a 1998 Pontiac Firebird with a 3.8 v6 engine. This engine still has the IAC valve in the throttle body. I have put ECU part number and operating system below, which I got from the calibration details controller tab. I have had this car for about a year now. I wanted to make some changes to the ECU so I purchased the HP Tuners MPVI 2. However I am running into issues already. It is not auto detecting the VIN. After I cancel entering the VIN and select the P04 GMv6 controller it will read from the ECU. The VIN shows up as a bunch of "y" and the OS page is blank. Yes I did check the advanced view also. I am not sure P04 is the correct option to select to read my ECU but its all I could find on the internet. I also unchecked the high speed read option and took three separate reads from the ECU and I have the same issue with each. So it seems like there is something wrong with the way I am reading the ECU or a problem with the ECU itself. The car drives and works fine at the moment. Does anyone have any idea of what is going on and how to fix it?

ECU Service Number: 16236757
    ECU Hardware Number: 16200870
    Operating System 16268296

VIN: yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Potential Tuner
    It appears when the VIN is yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy it seems like HP tuners considers that blank. I went through the wizard and plugged in my actual VIN number and wrote that to the ECU. It took it then asked for the credits after I changed the VIN and cycled the key. Now when I read the ECU it is able to auto populate. The P04 option appears to be the correct option when reading this particular ECU. As for why the OS page is blank in VCM editor it seems it is suppose to be unless there is custom options you can add to your OS. My OS 16268296 does not have any custom options and that is why it is blank. If you want to verify what is the latest OS from GM you have to use https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/ and enter your vin. For your factory ECU it will tell you what is the latest OS you should have. It started and seems to be working after my first flash with HP Tuners MPVI 2

Those V6 computer do not have OS upgrades.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.