Thread: jk wrangler hard start only after being parked - fine in the morning

Potential Tuner

Question jk wrangler hard start only after being parked - fine in the morning

Hi guys/ Gals - I have been chasing a hot start issue for over 6 months now and its stopping me from bolting on the supercharger and having some fun

I am running the stock tune file and logged the issue but nothing is popping out at me - can anyone offer some advise

2012 jk wrangler 3.6 with the below parts being replaced over the last 6 months
    new injectors (oem)
    new map sensor (oem)
    new plugs (oem)
    new IAC (oem)
    New Coil packs(oem)
    new Cas(oem)
    new fuel pump(oem) and internal reg
    new o2 sensors (oem)
    New coolant temp sensor(oem

the vehicle starts great first thing in the morning or if left over night - if its a warm day it will stumble on start up and smell rich
    The symptoms are alot more apparent when the ambient temp is high
    colds starts are fine
    warm starts after a short drive are fine if within 10 mins longer and it stumbles on starting
    hot starts after sitting it stumbles bad and at times needs a few key ons to fire up with a very rich smell

aaron jeep stock file do not edit.hpt20-04-04 18-39-20.hpl
    Last edited by Aztune; 04-04-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    If your running a stock tune on stock motor i wouldn't think it in the tune, I would log o2 and see how they are acting when you get this issue, that would be my first thought. When you start your car cold it runs in open loop but after its warm in goes into closed loop and the o2 take over. something is letting it add to much fuel and the only thing that controls this are the o2 along with a few other things but mostly o2. I would also check your temp sensor, if the pcm thinks the engine is cold it will still add more fuel for a cold start also even if the motor is warm. The scanner will give you all the information you need to diagnose this issue just need to log the correct parameters to see what everything is doing. I try to keep things simple and only look at what controls the issue i'm having and then diagnose those item first
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam

Potential Tuner
    Thanks FstDodgeKY - I have been logging the O2 and it all seems pretty bang on - I will do some more logging and to see whats going on
    quick question is there a way to force the vehicle into closed loop on every start ? this may help me target the issue

Advanced Tuner
    Short answer to that is yes, you can force the vehicle into closed loop but not just when starting, im not sure that would be the best way to go about it because when doing this there will be many variables you will introduce and you would have to make some adjustment for the vehicle always running in closed loop, so i'm not sure that would be helpful. Are you sure the tune is untouched?? sounds like you may have a few multipliers out of wack causing it to dump fuel on warm starts. If your sure the tune is all original them is be looking towards something mechanical, I.E. sensor bad, injector bad-stuck open, fuel pressure off etc... also just remember just because you replaced something doesn't mean it is good, i've bought many things from local auto stores and have them bad right outta the box.
    Last edited by FstdodgeKY; 04-04-2020 at 09:51 PM.
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam