Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey guys installed a cam and ported/polished throttle body

Tuner in Training

Hey guys installed a cam and ported/polished throttle body

newb here !! Any help?
    My 07 Avalanche 5.3 Flexfuel V8, 4L60E had 190k and got a refresh. So I recently installed a Summit Stage2 Truck cam(8701), Crane Springs, timing chain, ls7 lifters and ported/polished the throttle body. I had the engine idling on a base Diablosport 87oct tune. Then I bought the HP, ported and polished the TB. I am having a difficult time with getting the truck to idle, at the current tune it surges up to 3000rpm and dies. I do not have a wideband O2 yet which I know is worth the money but I've watched numerous videos about getting started but to no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated. attached is my tune file and log fileEric WORKING TUNE 2007 Avalanche 4x4 flex 5.3.hpt and 20-04-03 20-34-04.hpl
    Last edited by WickedAvalanche; 04-04-2020 at 05:30 PM.

Senior Tuner
    The tune looks pretty bad.
    The VE tables are zero'd out.
    The Startup airflow tables are zero'd out.
    The minimum airflow tables are stock.
    The timing tables are all set to 22 degrees.
    The injector flowrate table is populated for stock non-flex injectors.

Here's how you can get it running.

Copy/paste the stock VE tables into your calibration.
    Copy/paste the stock Startup airflow tables into your calibration and multiply the entire table by 2.
    Multiply the minimum airflow table by 1.5.
    Return the Adaptive idle tables to stock.
    Copy/paste the flex fuel injector data into your calibration. I'll attach a mostly stock Avalanche flex fuel file for reference.
    Change the Dynamic Airflow enable/disable rpm to 400/390 rpm. This will allow it to run on Mass Air only.

2007avalanche53Lblackmonstock.hpt

Tuner in Training
    thank you ill let you know how this helps!!

Tuner in Training
    Here is my updated tune and log
    I have tried dialing in the idle airflow
    Is it possible the ported and polished TB is the cause for the airflow?
    should I zero out adaptives?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by WickedAvalanche; 04-06-2020 at 06:18 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I tried as you instructed and these were the results, It revved up was not stable enough. Not sure what parameters are ideal to change.

I think it's better if you don't post this stuff in 4-5 different threads when all you gotta do it start a thread and keep with it. More threads is normally just more dead ends.

Please read my post in this thread you posted in. This is your biggest problem. You likely did something you shouldn't have and now it will not run. Go back to square one without the speed density OS applied and I bet it runs for longer than 2 seconds.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...697#post605697
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry for the unnecessary threads, new to the forum so I do not know the best approach. I got it idling now but still loopy. I did not know that upgrading my OS to 2bar actually messed me up I thought it was just an update. How can I get rid of this 2bar OS? also, if I resort back to the old OS, will my tune differ? I made some newb mistakes, I converted the original to 2Bar, now im SOL !!
    Last edited by WickedAvalanche; 04-06-2020 at 08:41 PM.

I said you have to flash back to the tune before the 2 bar OS. So I would hope you have been saving each tune under new names so that you can revert back to older tunes in case you do something wrong.

The 2 bar OS is not an update, it is used for application where people install superchargers or turbo chargers and want to be able to use new tables to control fuel beyond 1 bar.

Continue tuning without the 2 bar OS and this should go smoother. It's still going to take days/weeks of tuning if you new to this to dial it in. A wideband will be your friend.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I have a stock version file saved but I already applied the OS 2 bar. can I tune with the 2 bar setup?
    2007 Chevy Avalanche LT 4x4
    Rough Country 7.5 Lift
    Engine:2 Bar LC9 5.3L Flexfuel DOD delete
    Volant Cold Air System, Ported Throttle Body, Jet PowrStat 180
    Summit Stage 2(8701) Cam
    Stock bottom-end
    Longtube headers, Cat-less y-pipe
    Trans: Mad Dog L3 4L70E

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    I said you have to flash back to the tune before the 2 bar OS. So I would hope you have been saving each tune under new names so that you can revert back to older tunes in case you do something wrong.

The 2 bar OS is not an update, it is used for application where people install superchargers or turbo chargers and want to be able to use new tables to control fuel beyond 1 bar.

Continue tuning without the 2 bar OS and this should go smoother. It's still going to take days/weeks of tuning if you new to this to dial it in. A wideband will be your friend.
    Can I populate the tables with base values ?
    Rough Country 7.5 Lift
    Summit Stage 2(8701) Cam
    Stock bottom-end

If you can't return to stock then you will have to download a stock tune from the tune repository to get the information you need. Or take the file that Kevin gave you in post 2 for this data you need.

The VVE editor in the EDIT tab has the data you require. This Virtual VE data will have to be copied and pasted into the 3 new VE tables.

The catch is that if you look at the axis's from the VVE tables and the axis's in the IMRC VE tables, they are flip flopped. You will have to use an excel spreadsheet to flip/flop the data around so you can paste it back into your tune. All 3 tables will use the same data.

Tuner in Training
    If you can't return to stock then you will have to download a stock tune from the tune repository to get the information you need. Or take the file that Kevin gave you in post 2 for this data you need.

The VVE editor in the EDIT tab has the data you require. This Virtual VE data will have to be copied and pasted into the 3 new VE tables.

The catch is that if you look at the axis's from the VVE tables and the axis's in the IMRC VE tables, they are flip flopped. You will have to use an excel spreadsheet to flip/flop the data around so you can paste it back into your tune. All 3 tables will use the same data.
    Thank you, I have my stock tune. I only adjust the DOD to the stock file and applied the 2 bar OS. Although I do not see a VVT table, only a virtual torque.
    Rough Country 7.5 Lift
    Summit Stage 2(8701) Cam
    Stock bottom-end

Slow down a little bit and re-read my post.

I'm trying to tell you that if you DO NOT have the stock file WITHOUT the 2 bar OS applied you have to do what I typed above.

Kevin in his reply posted a tune file with the data you need. That tune file has the VVE data you need. Use that file to get the data you require.

Your 2 bar tune removes the VVE data and replaced it with the VE tables............................................ .................................................. ...
    Last edited by 5FDP; 04-06-2020 at 10:25 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Slow down a little bit and re-read my post.

I'm trying to tell you that if you DO NOT have the stock file WITHOUT the 2 bar OS applied you have to do what I typed above.

Kevin in his reply posted a tune file with the data you need. That tune file has the VVE data you need. Use that file to get the data you require.

Your 2 bar tune removes the VVE data and replaced it with the VE tables............................................ .................................................. ...

Isn't that tune only registered to that VIN? Or at least that's what I had been thinking.
    Rough Country 7.5 Lift
    Summit Stage 2(8701) Cam
    Stock bottom-end

What?

Where is the disconnect here?

You are only using that other file to copy data from. You are not flashing someone else's file into yours.

Kevin's file has the data to copy from.

Tuner in Training
    What?

You are only using that other file to copy data from. You are not flashing someone else's file into yours.

I found where to change the VIN on the .hpt file, in EDIT> VIN Wizard.
    Rough Country 7.5 Lift
    Summit Stage 2(8701) Cam
    Stock bottom-end

Tuner in Training
    What?

I tried to use Tim's file, I changed the VIN in VIN wizard and it's still asking me for a license. How do I copy Tim's OS with NO 2BAR to my licensed file?
    Rough Country 7.5 Lift
    Summit Stage 2(8701) Cam
    Stock bottom-end

Tuner in Training

Great im learning a lot through mistakes. thanks, any guidance on how to flip flop the tables? and I also downloaded the Bluecat VE program if that helps. How can I populate the three tables from one?
    Rough Country 7.5 Lift
    Summit Stage 2(8701) Cam
    Stock bottom-end

Wicked.

I am not sure where I am losing you here. I never once said that you should flash someone else file into your truck.

I don't know what you aren't understanding about copying data. Think of this as a word document and you are copying words and pasting them into another section of text.

The file that kevin posted has DATA that you need and that DATA is something you have to copy and paste into your tune.

This is why I typed this out. You MUST take that data and use an excel spread sheet to make this work. I don't know how to explain this stuff any other way.

Tuner in Training
    Wicked.

I am not sure where I am losing you here. I never once said that you should flash someone else file into your truck.

I don't know what you aren't understanding about copying data. Think of this as a word document and you are copying words and pasting them into another section of text.

The file that kevin posted has DATA that you need and that DATA is something you have to copy and paste into your tune.

This is why I typed this out. You MUST take that data and use an excel spread sheet to make this work. I don't know how to explain this stuff any other way.
    I realize this now.... I was trying to just save his file with my VIN...
    talked to HP customer support and they cannot revert my enhancement back to stock.

So I copied the VVE table into excel spreadsheet but How should the table be flipped?
    There is a transpose option that doesn't flip the table right....
    is the flip Left to Rightt? or Top to Bottom? or Both...

Thank for your understanding and I appreciate your time guiding me through this.
    Rough Country 7.5 Lift
    Summit Stage 2(8701) Cam
    Stock bottom-end