Thread: How to pop and bangs in Tacoma 1grfe?

Tuner in Training

Lightbulb How to pop and bangs in Tacoma 1grfe?

Hi everyone! I need help us, is posible "pop and bangs" in Tacoma 1grfe? I have not found any information. Just modify the spark minimum to -20 degrees. What other value should I change? I cannot come up with a solution, I have searched for fuel but nothing.

Stock
    spark_minimun_stock.png

spark_minimun_20.png

tacoma_2010_stock.hpt

tacoma_2010_pop_and_bangsv1.hpt

Regards

Luis

Quote Originally Posted by Luis1grfe View Post
    Hi everyone! I need help us, is posible "pop and bangs" in Tacoma 1grfe? I have not found any information. Just modify the spark minimum to -20 degrees. What other value should I change? I cannot come up with a solution, I have searched for fuel but nothing.

Stock
    spark_minimun_stock.png

spark_minimun_20.png

tacoma_2010_stock.hpt

tacoma_2010_pop_and_bangsv1.hpt

Regards

Luis
    Two things -

1) You should match your Min Final ("Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Minimum Spark") value to the Spark Minimum table, as that value will override a lower value in the table itself. In this case, you have -20 degrees in the Spark Minimum table, but your Min Final value is -15 degrees, which will cap the amount of spark that can be pulled at -15 degrees. This isn't a huge deal, but IMO it's generally good practice to have everything match up unless you have a good reason not to.

2) Spark Minimum is only part of the equation - that table is allowing it to command low timing, but nothing is actually commanding low timing.

With a Tacoma we have a convenient tool at hand to try, which is the Rolling Idle table ("Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Rolling Idle -> Retard from Main SPK Base") - by increasing the amount of retard to a high value (say, 60 degrees), we'll have a commanded spark that should be low enough to get some popping.

Along with this change, we need to reduce the corresponding Idle Spark Advance tables ("Engine -> Spark -> Advance -> Idle Spark Advance"), as the PCM will use whichever is greater of the following:

a) Spark Minimum + Cold Adder
    b) Min Final
    c) Idle Spark Advance
    d) Current Main Spark Base - Retard from Main SPK Base

The attached example has the above changes - in this example, I've only reduced the Idle Spark Advance in the A/C Off tables, and only for higher RPMs, which should give you a crude way to enable/disable on the fly (besides, if you have the A/C on, you'll have the windows up, and not much point in making noise in that situation). The usual warnings apply about this being hard on the cats and for off-road use only...

tacoma_2010_pop_and_bangsv1 _ EDITS.hpt

Tuner in Training
    @SlowNStock

Hello! First of all, apologies for the delay, with what is happening around the world, and I have been a bit stuck with my tests. I wanted to tell you that I could test the tacoma with the file you sent me, it works. You have to tune up to make it sound better, but it sounds! I really appreciate your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis1grfe View Post
    @SlowNStock

Hello! First of all, apologies for the delay, with what is happening around the world, and I have been a bit stuck with my tests. I wanted to tell you that I could test the tacoma with the file you sent me, it works. You have to tune up to make it sound better, but it sounds! I really appreciate your help.
    No problem, glad to hear it worked for you! Fine tuning to get the exact result you'd like is to be expected, but once you're on the right path it becomes much easier