Thread: Virtual torque tables and nitrous

Tuner in Training

Virtual torque tables and nitrous

If i'm running a 100 shot of nitrous, would I want to increase the virtual torque tables 100 ftlbs when the nitrous kicks in? Thanks

Tuner in Training
    I guess I?ll try it along with raising peak tq and dd. I?m really just trying to get the trans to shift better.

Advanced Tuner
    Unfortunately I've never really dealt with nitrous, and I have heard most of the time its kind of a hack to work it in with stock engine controllers with switches and fooling sensors to add fuel.

I also wish I could help you more but I have the exact same questions on changing virtual torque, but since it looks like no one has an answer, my answer will be definitely yes, it should be adjusted.

That being said depending on how you are doing your nitrous control, or how you are "faking" or "tricking" your ecm into thinking its got more airflow when you hit nitrous you would have to account for it in different ways. If you have a controller that will trick your MAF sensor to increase when you hit nitrous, then technically you shouldn't have to adjust virtual torque, since your airmass value should go up. Now airmass isn't solely dependent on the raw MAF reading. So it may be easier to go the MAP route and adjust the MAP portion of the torque tables.

I should probably stop there and let someone else who knows more and knows more about nitrous come in, I just wanted to respond since no one else has. I think GM, even with its emissions and durability constraints, is the best tuner out there by far so I like stock tables as much as possible. Its my opinion that for mods like porting, only the MAP portion of the VT tables should have to be adjusted since all you have done increased the efficiency of filling the cylinder and therefore, the same MAP values will let in more air; so that means the airmass portion of the VT tables shouldn't be touched, since any airflow increase should be picked up by the sensors and then it just references a higher portion of your stock/unchanged VT table that has a higher torque number. Now when you increase compression or change cylinder head design then it seems like you should have to adjust both.

The big question with my theory about leaving airmass portion of VT table stock and modifying the MAP portion is how much of the cylinder airmass (which is the y axis in the VT tables) calculation comes from the MAF sensor, is it completely dependent upon the MAF or is it a combination of MAF and speed density, I believe it is a combination of both so that complicated things.

Sorry I know I kind of rambled and don't really have a good answer for you but hopefully it will open up the thread and we can get someone who knows.

Advanced Tuner
    To spray a Gen V, you basically have to tune it in SD and have a stand alone fuel system for the nitrous.
    2023 Ford Maverick 2.0T AWD