Thread: Back Fire at Cylinder 3 392 Hemi and Limp Mode

Tuner in Training

Back Fire at Cylinder 3 392 Hemi and Limp Mode

I have been working on this motor for some time and getting it sounding/running better, but I still can't get rid of this backfire. Here is the scenario:
    The truck starts, runs, and upon start it backfires and doesn't stop. The backfire goes from a load pop to a muffled pop. I went through and removed individually and upon getting to cylinder 3 and removing the power to the coil pack the engine stops backfiring. After a minute or less I can replace the power to the coil pack and the motor does not backfire anymore. However, if I shut the truck off and restart the motor the backfire returns. I have replaced all of the coil packs, all the plugs, gapped the plugs, and swapped injectors from 1 to 3 and 3 to 1 and the backfire continues.
    Does anyone have any thoughts? Can the timing be advanced on just one coil or cylinder?

I appreciate all of the past help and anything going forward.

Advanced Tuner
    Have you done a compression test on the motor to confirm it is not mechanical?

Tuner in Training
    I checked cylinder 3 today it was 180psi. I was worried about broken spring on a valve, but at 180 I think it is good but I guess I should check the other cylinders. I just don't get the unplug coil power and plug it back and backfire is gone.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TunaSRT View Post
    I checked cylinder 3 today it was 180psi. I was worried about broken spring on a valve, but at 180 I think it is good but I guess I should check the other cylinders. I just don't get the unplug coil power and plug it back and backfire is gone.
    Always a good idea to check engine compression with a persistent misfire on the same cylinder as it is easy to do. Have seen several guys on the CT forum where they tried to diagnose a misfire only to find out that the compression on that cylinder was either too high/low compared to the rest of the cylinders (usually a sign of bad exhaust/intake lifter or cam lobe). If you unplug and then plug the coil in and backfire disappears it makes me wonder if there is an issue with the PCM?

Tuner in Training
    Cylinder 3 is the one the backfire has been happening in. The truck is not throwing a code for misfire since changing plugs and coil packs. I just got the obd mx scanner in and I am looking through alphaobd to see what I find.

If I could get it out of limp mode their may be a chance the computer can learn of the Ann, but in limp I can't get it over 5 miles per hour.