Thread: Shift firmness on 6L80, first steps

Tuner

Shift firmness on 6L80, first steps

Hey everyone, I am ready to get the trans dialed in on my 14 Sierra 5.3L. Engine side of things are dialed in and I am ready to focus on trans tuning. From what I've read the best results come from requesting quicker shift times and disable tq mngment upshifts and power downshifts.

So here's my real question as I dive into these tables. Do i start with the Shift Timing>upshift>torque adder tables and just start knocking those times down by 10% at a time on all tables or is the Transition Time tables where i start.

A little shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks in advance!
    14 GMC sierra 5.3

For the most part you should not touch torque mngt at all. You don't want to disable it on upshifts or power downshifts, that's just a good way to end up with real clunkly and harsh shifts.

I've posted many times about changes you can make, stuff is floating in threads somewhere.

Here is my trucks file, use it to reference some of the changes made. Some things require the pressure presets be reset after the change is flashed and before the vehicle is started, otherwise the change won't be learned.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Thanks i tried doing some keyword searches before i made a new thread and the closest i found was the trq management suggestion along with shift times, but that was for the 8 speeds they were talking about... I'll see what you have changed and go off that for now. Stock they shift flare at times bad and don't know what dang gear to be in rounding a corner and rolling into it but mostly the soggy shifts are what i want to crisp up. Thanks for getting back with me 5F.
    14 GMC sierra 5.3

Tuner in Training
    Here are 2 videos I found very helpful to get started:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L006vkWbkQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8vi7A7RGEs

Use these as a guide, I was much more conservative on the pressures. I think I am around 1000KPa line pressure and 350/450/550-600 or so on the oncoming pressure presets. Also use the bluecat video to get a start then tailor the shift speeds to suit what you like. I have changed almost all of mine since I started. I've also kept the converter from locking until 4th gear. Don't miss adjusting the inertia factor profile tables under the shift general tab, that is where you can do the most difference in shift feel along with shift pressures and oncoming presets.
    New to tuning, but not to cars. Just here to learn!

I assume the same principals apply to the 8L90E?

I havent unlocked my trans yet. But changing the Minimum commanded spark smoothing the table and bringing the numbers up a bit made a larger difference in the shift quality than I expected. Did that based on one of the videos suggested.

great info here thanks

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    For the most part you should not touch torque mngt at all. You don't want to disable it on upshifts or power downshifts, that's just a good way to end up with real clunkly and harsh shifts.

I've posted many times about changes you can make, stuff is floating in threads somewhere.

Here is my trucks file, use it to reference some of the changes made. Some things require the pressure presets be reset after the change is flashed and before the vehicle is started, otherwise the change won't be learned.
    what specific setting has to be reset? i have the same truck but 3/4 feel terrible

Tuner
    scanner - special features - transmission - reset then preset.