Thread: 71 C10 5.3 L99 swap with TH350 starting point

71 C10 5.3 L99 swap with TH350 starting point

71 C10 with 5.3 and L99 out of the same truck 2006 with NO flex fuel or DOD
    TH350 behind it
    BTR low lift truck cam 224/230 112 +3 .500
    4" intake tube with aftermarket intake
    Catless 2.5" with Shorty headers

I am helping out a friend with getting the LS swap running. He is a mechanic with around 30 years experience and does a lot of work on classics but just got HP Tuners a few months ago for this swap. Long story short I went to help him the other day due to idle issues and decel issues he was having. After doing some reading on here I figured we should start fresh with the basics. I haven't worked on a lot of 3rd gen ECMs or on any swaps with non electronic trans. The main issues were that on decel the motor is pulling timing and practically shutting off and on decel we were getting P0101. So since we are starting over I was hoping we could get some guidance on what needs to be disabled/zeroed out/changed and what parts of the tune will we need to be making the adjustments due to the ECM not knowing when the truck is in gear.

So first adjustments to the tune should be?
    -Turn off all Trans ECTs? (I read some forums that said this was the easiest way to run the ECM without the trans signals)
    -Change trans type to non electric auto?
    -Zero out Idle over and under adaptives under the spark tab? (read a forum where they said to turn off Idle adaptives to eliminate the decel timing being pulled due to the ECM not knowing it is in drive. I think this might be where our decel issue was)
    -Add 10% Idle Air?
    -Add 2 or 3 degrees of Idle timing in In Park (I assume In Drive wont be used due to ECM not knowing it will be in drive)?
    -Add 20% across the board on Eng Diagnostics > Maximum Delta Airflow-p0101 Error (I read that this will eliminate the P0101 code issue and the code is probably due to the large intake tube. Still dont 100% understand what this does)

Other Change that I know I should do
    -Disable COT
    -Disable EGR
    -Disable DFCO for part Throttle tuning later
    -Zero out PE Delays
    -PE Ramp in to 1.0
    -Go through Torque Management

Thanks in advance and feel free to dumb things down for me as I am not the most experienced either. I have attached the Base tune before we have made any changes for reference and I will post the first tune for more scrutiny after my above list is looked over. After we get the base settings right then I will start posting logs.

lee's 71 c10 - original.hpt

So we went back to the starting point and here is a log of the Decel issue and it is pulling a lot of timing on acceleration. Any help would be appreciated!

lee's 71 C10 - 2.3.hpt

log decel issue and reduced timing on aceleration.hpl

At 9:18:04 there is a good example of it pulling timing on acceleration

The low octane timing table has some extreme negative timing in it, not sure how it got to be that way.

Copy your high octane table into the low octane table and then minus 5 degrees from the entire low table. And hand smooth the area's where the timing is still way negative on the left hand side of the table. You can smooth it out to have positive timing and be okay.

You also have the IAT spark correction table removing timing as that table is really aggressive over 86 degree air temps. Don't zero it out but back down how quickly it can pull timing. I wouldn't have it start removing some until right around 100 degrees and make it 1 degree for every 10 degree temp change over 113.

You're not logging burst knock or any other spark correction/torque mngt table to see why the timing is being remove. Being that it's a swap vehicle I would disable burst knock by setting the Enable Delta Cyl Air burst knock table to 8.0 to disable it.

You need to get a wideband and fix the airflow model too, fueling is all over the place based on your fuel trims. You will have to watch your injector duty cycle once you get towards making power, those injectors may be a limiting factor.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The low octane timing table has some extreme negative timing in it, not sure how it got to be that way.

Copy your high octane table into the low octane table and then minus 5 degrees from the entire low table. And hand smooth the area's where the timing is still way negative on the left hand side of the table. You can smooth it out to have positive timing and be okay.

You also have the IAT spark correction table removing timing as that table is really aggressive over 86 degree air temps. Don't zero it out but back down how quickly it can pull timing. I wouldn't have it start removing some until right around 100 degrees and make it 1 degree for every 10 degree temp change over 113.

You're not logging burst knock or any other spark correction/torque mngt table to see why the timing is being remove. Being that it's a swap vehicle I would disable burst knock by setting the Enable Delta Cyl Air burst knock table to 8.0 to disable it.

You need to get a wideband and fix the airflow model too, fueling is all over the place based on your fuel trims. You will have to watch your injector duty cycle once you get towards making power, those injectors may be a limiting factor.

Thanks for the responce! I do have a wideband and I am getting ready to work on the trims. Just wanted to get the other issues worked out first!

TQ MNG Adjustmints.hpl

lee's 71 C10 - 2.5.hpt

So changed the timing in the high and low tables, Change the PE setting, Worked on the TQ Management (This corrected the timing being pulled on acceleration). But I do have a question about the max numbers on the burst knock. The notes say that Enable Delta Cyl Air burst knock table is 0 to 8g but when i put in 8.000 it gives me the warning that I exceeded the limit so I put it in at 7.9. Why does it tell me that it goes to 8g but wont let me do it? Still have it dropping on decel a few hundred RPMs and it falls on its face sometimes on acceleration.I am assuming that is due to fueling so Ima tune that and update if I the issues continue.

I've run into that before with the burst knock, sometimes 8.0 works and other times it makes me use 7.9 which is the same thing.

Also because TM was reduced/removed you will want to change the enable torque in the PE to 50% and lower the throttle enable to like 65-70 instead of 90% just to help.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I swapped a LQ4 6.0 into my 1972 K10 with a NP205 and a TH350 ..could not get it to run right until I added a Dakota Digital speed pulse unit.
    I did not have HP tuners then so I viewed vehicle speed with my Bosch code reader and adjusted the DD unit till it was close to GPS speed. Drive ability increased 100%. Do not know if that's your issue but thought I'd chime in.