Thread: Having idle and light throttle drivability issues.

Tuner in Training

Having idle and light throttle drivability issues.

Hi Guys,

I have an LS2 with LQ9 heads built with LS1 internals that was running pretty good on 60lb injectors but have now switched to 1000cc injectors and it runs rich and not smooth. the idle is all over the place up and down timing jumping like crazy and AFR going rich and then spiking lean... I was wondering if someone could glance at my tune to make sure I haven't overlooked something with entering in the injector data. I feel like a cam or crank sensor is bad or something...My VE is down to single digits at idle and its still runs rich. I have scaled or think I did the injector data for 50PSI. I just transferred over to a new computer and Wideband so I am pretty sure I am missing a bunch of logging data.....

Any help would be much appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Mark

These were brand new plugs with just some idling on them.
    April10 new ifr table for 50 psi and .15min inj pulse defaut in pulse cut down.hpt
    apr 4.hplFIC1000CC-95LBBOSCHEV14LSXHPT.xlsx plugs1.jpgplugs2.jpg

Cut the min fuel milligrams in the transient fuel tab from .041 to something like .018. That should stop it from being super rich at idle.

The VE needs a ton of help, not sure how you get it to look like Deryck Whibley hair from SUM 41 circa 2001-ish.

Fix the open loop EQ ratio too. It doesn't need to be that rich when warming up. 1.15 while it's cold and slowly get it to 1.00 above 120 degrees.

PE and BE need some changes too.

Your VE should look something like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Cut the min fuel milligrams in the transient fuel tab from .041 to something like .018. That should stop it from being super rich at idle.

The VE needs a ton of help, not sure how you get it to look like Deryck Whibley hair from SUM 41 circa 2001-ish.

Fix the open loop EQ ratio too. It doesn't need to be that rich when warming up. 1.15 while it's cold and slowly get it to 1.00 above 120 degrees.

Thank you I'll make those adjustments. HA HA on the VE table, I've been stabbing at those numbers just to try to get it to run.

Tuner in Training
    not sure how you get it to look like Deryck Whibley hair from SUM 41 circa 2001-ish.
    What a oddly specific comparison. Haha

Nope, that is Dave Kindig's hair
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner in Training

Hey 5fpd, that did help my idle and I got a fair amount of tuning done!

Then I started thinking what does that number mean and is .018 the number I need? I still have idle issues just not rich..

In this log can you help me understand what happens at 12:50 in this scan of idle? It was searching for an RPM the whole time and then all the sudden went stable but rich..

idle.hpl
    Last edited by blacksi; 04-20-2020 at 12:15 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Or anyone else....

The .018 is just a guess. I don't have an exact reason for picking the numbers I do but I just work with it until it stops being a real issue.

You'll have to post your tune file with your updates.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    So I have made some good at least I think good logs to update the ve. The weird thing I am having is that at idle it always logs -15% or so after like 9 or 10 logs it still constantly rich at idle. The rest of the table is pretty good, i've even start to do some logs with pulls into boost. This latest tune file is after I have massaged it based on the last log file.

Edit I did play with the .018, I dropped it to .014 and idle went to like 18afr, bumped it to .016 not much change went to .017 and it seemed a hair better so I just left it there.

ve tuning 4-22-20.hpl VE tuning4-22-20.hpt
    Last edited by blacksi; 04-22-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Smooth the VE out some. Just click the smooth selection once or twice, you need to get rid of the spikes/dips in the 3D graph. You are jumping way to much between cells and it's going to throw the fueling off a lot.

Remove the 1 bar map channel too, it's skewing the map data for logging when you have two map channels.

Tuner in Training
    Smooth the VE out some. Just click the smooth selection once or twice, you need to get rid of the spikes/dips in the 3D graph. You are jumping way to much between cells and it's going to throw the fueling off a lot.

Remove the 1 bar map channel too, it's skewing the map data for logging when you have two map channels.

I have removed it but how does the 1 bar map skew the data? I was thinking you could log every channel you want and then each chart and graph is controlled by what you input??

At idle it doesn't really jump around to different cells it really sits in one cell and reads negative, you can see that for sure at 10min 50 sec into it near the very end.

Senior Tuner
    Do you have your fuel pressure regulator referencing the manifold, or is it open to atmosphere?

It looks like you have hit the minimum injector pulse width it will allow. Lowering the VE table where it idles, isn't going to pull any more fuel out of it. You would have to lower the limits to injector pulse width. Using the VE table, you should be able to smooth out any bumps the MAP sensor may cause and maintain a good idle with fairly consistent fueling, at a very small injector pulse width. It is one of the benefits of SD over MAF. 1.9ms is quite large for good injectors. Eventually, after you figured out where the limit can go down too, you are not going to want to be riding the pulse width limit, but have the VE table control fueling and set the limit just under where that pulse width is, basically to cover changes in weather and altitude you may see. Lower the limits, raise the VE back up to a normal value.