Thread: Idle surge problems

Tuner in Training

Idle surge problems

I have this car running great other then 2 spots. I have tried torque changes in the idle area of MP15 and friction loss in the same area to no avail.I also have a bad surge at low rpm medium load. I am not sure how i got this thing to run so good most of the time especially in boost (made 700hp on the dyno) but can not get it to idle. It seems to settle to near its desired idle then surges up and down till it dies. I feel like it is something dumb but spent 4 hours tonight with no change.
    Attached Files Attached Files

stock IMRC or locked to open ?
    Turbocharged COYOTE

PM for E tune / Remote Tuning
    [email protected]

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by small tuner View Post
    stock IMRC or locked to open ?
    Locked open. A friend of mine has a 19 with a cobrajet setup and I deleted his IMRC the same way in his tune and his car runs perfect. Idles mint at 650rpm my car will not even stay running at that low a rpm.
    Last edited by turboanything; 04-14-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Tuner in Training
    it has to be something with your spark timing. minimum spark at 30*? also MP15 table very jagged, try smoothing? also your idle rpm error is not updating the info, it's just stuck at 750?

Tuner in Training
    I noticed the RPM error too. But when i look at a log from another 2020 a10 car its the same way. Then i look at a 6-speed car and it shows the actual error.

Advanced Tuner
    are u using stock throttle body ? and under fuel/ general / stoich why 10.80

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by suprmario96 View Post
    it has to be something with your spark timing. minimum spark at 30*? also MP15 table very jagged, try smoothing? also your idle rpm error is not updating the info, it's just stuck at 750?
    So i copied the MP0 and MP1 timing tables to MP14 and MP15 and it actually got a little better. But i am noticing now as it come back to idle from even a rev it will start bouncing and never stop. I honestly never thought to touch the timing maps because it works so well on my buddies Cobrajet car.

Senior Tuner
    With IMRC now locked open, the idle airflow is different than what it expects at an given throttle angle. Desired load is to high, throttle angle gets caught between trying to satisfy desired angle and desired load. Spark never really takes over control. There's only one table under idle>airflow. Try larger angles at same airflow, go up in 5% increments. Idle is usually in the .9-1.1 Lb/min range depending on RPM, spark control should be whats controlling the torque needed to maintain idle (any thing between 0-20*, The higher the spark advance and more likely its going to open the throttle to meet torque demand/ keep it from going lower than 0 and stalling the car). Its just a matter of finding the angle that gives you ~1 lb/min around 800RPM(or what ever your target is) and puts your source in the "spark control window" torque control, not in an airflow control mode like dashpot, or RPM control like target N. You want to see ~.2-.25 load around idle.

or smaller angles like the ones in the 2018 cobra jet file you can find in a search of the forum, but thats for a big Mono blade TB. I still think larger angles with IMRC locked open and no change to manifold ot TB.

Theres always potential physical issues with the TB.
    Last edited by murfie; 04-15-2020 at 04:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by murfie View Post
    With IMRC now locked open, the idle airflow is different than what it expects at an given throttle angle. Desired load is to high, throttle angle gets caught between trying to satisfy desired angle and desired load. Spark never really takes over control. There's only one table under idle>airflow. Try larger angles at same airflow, go up in 5% increments. Idle is usually in the .9-1.1 Lb/min range depending on RPM, spark control should be whats controlling the torque needed to maintain idle (any thing between 0-20*, The higher the spark advance and more likely its going to open the throttle to meet torque demand/ keep it from going lower than 0 and stalling the car). Its just a matter of finding the angle that gives you ~1 lb/min around 800RPM(or what ever your target is) and puts your source in the "spark control window" torque control, not in an airflow control mode like dashpot, or RPM control like target N. You want to see ~.2-.25 load around idle.

or smaller angles like the ones in the 2018 cobra jet file you can find in a search of the forum, but thats for a big Mono blade TB. I still think larger angles with IMRC locked open and no change to manifold ot TB.

Theres always potential physical issues with the TB.
    So i was having this same issue car was hunting for idle when in Dashpot and would random stall i added 5 percent to the throttle angle airmass at idle and is doesnt surge as much even with rpm idle set to 650 . ill continue to adjust and see if it goes away complately playing with this table