Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: B8 A4 2.0TQ6MT Tuning Stage 1/2 94/91Oct (2011)

Advanced Tuner

B8 A4 2.0TQ6MT Tuning Stage 1/2 94/91Oct (2011)

Hey guys!

finally got bored enough during this Pandemic and decided to pickup the credits to license my own vehicle and do some tuning

I have a few logs of the car when it was stock and one from after my tuned file, its currently on 91oct while tuned but I plan to switch to 94 once its empty and see how far i can push the envelope. I must say I'm pretty impressed with the overall HPTuners experience the first flash took about 3mins and 30sec, but every flash after only takes about 20-30sec very surprising for an MED17 controller, still getting a few params added to the logger so I can really push her but they have been very responsive for support on this vehicle.

This is what i have so far, there's a huge difference in WOT power and the regular drive ability hasn't changed at all

if anyone has any questions or query's let me know

B8-A4-2LT6MT-8K2907115AD_0004-Stock.hpt
    B8-A4-2LT6MT-8K2907115AD_0004-Stage1-Catless.hpt
    20-04-06 13-00-45.hpl
    thirdrev2.hpl
    MED17.Layout.xml
    AudiA420-6MT-StockLog.Channels.xml

Tuner
    Heh... I expect your boredom will be our gain!

Thanks, hopefully I can learn something by studying what you have done.

Tuner
    Thanks for the reference tunes and layouts! HPTuner just added support for my calibration so now I am able to read the calibration. I have a A4 B8 2.0TFSI Q but with the DSG, it has a unknown stage 1 tune so your stock reference calibration is really nice for comparison! I am fairly new to tuning so bear with me... First thing I noticed was that my wastegating seems to be disabled, is that a correct conclusion?
    There are some RPM cutoff for VSS Fault differences but maybe this is related to the different gearboxes, not quite sure what this parameter is controlling though. I haven't looked in to the transient fueling differences too much just yet. There is a axis difference in the indicated torque map which I don't think is a big deal, even though I might benefit from adjusting the indicated torque map since I have deleted the balance shafts and mechanical water pump. The rest of the differences are all in the driver demand torque management. I have to admit that I have not yet understood the meaning of the different variants.
    I am extremely annoyed with the lag I experience when coasting towards an intersection and going back on the throttle, it is in the multiple seconds range! On this subject I wonder if the anti-jerk TIP-in hold of 2.5s can have something to do with it?

I need to dial in the controls of my electric water pump before I can do any real logs to understand my calibration better, but hope to have that sorted during next week.

All comments appreciated
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Welcome if you dont mind making your own post id be glad to help you tune your car and would also be interested in seeing some logs of this "tuned file"

Happy tuning!

Tuner
    @TylerDubbs: Thanks! Some help is extremely appreciated. I did actually start my own thread on what to expect before getting the software to work, it is here: https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...build-HPtuners

I am still trying to dial in my cooling system which is right now utilizing the can bus on the OBD-II port to read coolant temperature. I want to get rid of that communication before starting to log some pulls with VCM scanner. So it will at least be a day or two more before I have any logs. I see in your logs and others that you are running a bit lower coolant temperatures compared to mine, I wonder if there are different thermostats.

I'll continue in the other thread.

Cheers!!

Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    Hey guys!

finally got bored enough during this Pandemic and decided to pickup the credits to license my own vehicle and do some tuning

I have a few logs of the car when it was stock and one from after my tuned file, its currently on 91oct while tuned but I plan to switch to 94 once its empty and see how far i can push the envelope. I must say I'm pretty impressed with the overall HPTuners experience the first flash took about 3mins and 30sec, but every flash after only takes about 20-30sec very surprising for an MED17 controller, still getting a few params added to the logger so I can really push her but they have been very responsive for support on this vehicle.

This is what i have so far, there's a huge difference in WOT power and the regular drive ability hasn't changed at all

if anyone has any questions or query's let me know

B8-A4-2LT6MT-8K2907115AD_0004-Stock.hpt
    B8-A4-2LT6MT-8K2907115AD_0004-Stage1-Catless.hpt
    20-04-06 13-00-45.hpl
    thirdrev2.hpl
    MED17.Layout.xml
    AudiA420-6MT-StockLog.Channels.xml
    Thanks for the files!! Perfect timing! Im learning the software now, and working on adding a larger t3/t4 turbo in series with the stock ihi on my a5 2.0t and adding my diy water meth controller!! I've heard some of the parameters on the med 17.1 are a little illusive. Im not quite sure where to start tuning wise as pluming for the secondary turbo is being completed now.
    From what you've seen are there any limitations or tips i should be aware of as far as fuel demand and integrating a second boost curve into the mapfrom the compound?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PhortyOzProphet View Post
    Thanks for the files!! Perfect timing! Im learning the software now, and working on adding a larger t3/t4 turbo in series with the stock ihi on my a5 2.0t and adding my diy water meth controller!! I've heard some of the parameters on the med 17.1 are a little illusive. Im not quite sure where to start tuning wise as pluming for the secondary turbo is being completed now.
    From what you've seen are there any limitations or tips i should be aware of as far as fuel demand and integrating a second boost curve into the mapfrom the compound?
    Honestly that sounds like a crazy setup haha, no experience with compounds on ME in general so i guess we will need to see logs and go from there

Advanced Tuner
    Also I’m not sure if anyone may find this information important but I found out today while messing with waste-gate control that the B8 has a 3bar pressure sensor LOL.... I always thought it was a 2.5bar sensor like most other vag cars

Tuner
    Gee, that's tragic.

Advanced Tuner
    Haha man, this opens up huge opportunity for the big turbo side of things being that the wastegate control is feed forward closed loop control to 29.5psi

Also I’m not sure if anyone may find this information important but I found out today while messing with waste-gate control that the B8 has a 3bar pressure sensor LOL.... I always thought it was a 2.5bar sensor like most other vag cars
    What part # is that? where did you find that i have always been under the apparently misinformed impression it was 2.5 also as i posted a few weeks ago in elaws thread and the 4 bar sensor is PN: 0281006059

Advanced Tuner
    038906051E

I actually wrote Bosch to get a spec sheet for it to confirm, still waiting to hear back.

But I did also hit 2.8bar absolute pressure which was read by the pressure sensor, also the sensors linearization value in HPTuners software would suggest its a 3bar

hear back from bosch yet?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bb-tt View Post
    hear back from bosch yet?
    Trust me, when i know ill let you guys know first

Advanced Tuner
    Trust me, when i know ill let you guys know first
    What version of HPT are you using? Im on 4.6.3 and cannot open it...

***DISREGARD... I needed to update my beta...***
    Last edited by jaydubb71; 04-28-2020 at 05:38 PM.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Tuner in Training
    Also I?m not sure if anyone may find this information important but I found out today while messing with waste-gate control that the B8 has a 3bar pressure sensor LOL.... I always thought it was a 2.5bar sensor like most other vag cars
    I think most of the newer vehicles use 3 bar MAP sensors. Your slope and offset are similar to mine and I was running the 038906051K. My slope was 65.22 instead of 65.88.

My MAP failed at the track, so I ended up switching to a 3.5 bar AEM sensor (30-2130-50) in the manifold and 4 bar (03k906051) sensor in the throttle inlet. It's a super easy change to swap the wires and then switch the slope and offset in HPT.

For future reference, the values I'm using are:
    30-2130-50 - slope 86.18 offset -43.12
    03k906051 - slope 87.50 offset 6.25

Note that 03k906051 can't read much vacuum, so you can only use it in the throttle inlet.

Advanced Tuner
    *Update* Well just like that..... my clutch is starting to slip from the torque of 4th gear WOT on the highway LOL!

The tune I'm running now is a little bit different than the one posted above as I was experimenting with more fuel and more timing at peak torque , around .78Lambda and an extra 5* advance in some places

Just ordered a new southbend stage 2 endurance clutch, the ECS Luft-Technik FMIC kit and I'm going to pull the trigger on a hybrid from a good friend of mine and local turbo builder here in Ontario (Turbo Parts Canada).

The turbo should be good for about 400hp on 94oct so it should get pretty rowdy, just need to pull the engine out and slap all the parts on aswell as fix an oil leak from the filter housing/Accessory bracket that i have been neglecting for far too long

Advanced Tuner

Updated Files

In case anyone was wondering E30 blend fuel will absolutely murder a stock clutch hehe

updated versions of my kill mode 94oct and E30 ethanol blend tunes with logs

THESE FILES ARE SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED TO RUN ON MY CAR AND COPY PASTE OF THESE COULD BE VERY DANGEROUS TO A CAR WITH A TIGHTER WASTEGATE!!!!!!

E30 file is hands down the fastest my car has ever been and for a stock turbo car its actually insane.....

B8-A4-2LT6MT-8K2907115AD_0004-Stage2-94oct-NEW21.hpt
    94oct-killmodebase.hpl
    B8-A4-2LT6MT-8K2907115AD_0004-Stage2-E30-Rev3.hpt
    E30-killmode-pull-rev3.hpl

2011-A4-2LT6MT.Channels.xml
    TylersB8.Layout.xml
    Last edited by TylerJDubbs; 10-05-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Tuner in Training
    038906051E

I actually wrote Bosch to get a spec sheet for it to confirm, still waiting to hear back.

But I did also hit 2.8bar absolute pressure which was read by the pressure sensor, also the sensors linearization value in HPTuners software would suggest its a 3bar
    You are right 038906051E is a 3 bar sensor, EA888 Gen 1 has the 2.5 bar sensor and EA888 Gen 2 (the ones with AVS) use 3 bar