Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: B8 A4 2.0TQ6MT Tuning Stage 1/2 94/91Oct (2011)

Tuner in Training
    Hi Tyler, I am having a look at your tune files and they look very good, what would you do different for a similar setup (EA888 Gen 2 K04) with a DSG tranny?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGP View Post
    Hi Tyler, I am having a look at your tune files and they look very good, what would you do different for a similar setup (EA888 Gen 2 K04) with a DSG tranny?
    1)Might need to go a little higher on the Driver Demand torque tables just to avoid torque monitoring

2) increase rail pressure until Start of DI angle is around 180-200* advanced (this will be around 160-165Bar range on pump gas

3)Boost duty tuning for a different wastegate setup

Those are about the only thing I can suggest

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the advice, by looking at the files you uploaded (pump vs E30) I see different values on Fuel and Timing as expected, but fueling is almost the same, with E30 there's about 10% more fuel required to keep the same AFR, are you letting your STFT/LTFT to compensate for that?

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the advice, by looking at the files you uploaded (pump vs E30) I see different values on Fuel and Timing as expected, but fueling is almost the same, with E30 there's about 10% more fuel required to keep the same AFR, are you letting your STFT/LTFT to compensate for that?
    I used DI injector slope based on LTFT adjustment to dial in the fuelling for E30

Tuner in Training
    Sounds good, simple yet effective for that small of a change. I tried to do the same but I am having some wired issues with my LTFT, they are always 0.0, they seem to be turned off but I do not find where to activate them, or perhaps it is related to the fact that my ECU runs mafless, what do you think?

Potential Tuner

New to this site/forum

Hey Tyler looking to talk about tuning for a 2010 Audi A4 2.0t manual with ko4 and other add ons. Just bought the hp tuners kit

Advanced Tuner

Newest File + Strategies

Attached is the newest file I've been working on for my B8 with Stock turbo and now custom built HFC instead of catless test pipe.

A few things I've been working on are getting the injection angle advanced in WOT and maintaining homogenous injection strategy instead of maxing out HPFP pressure to use stratified injection, Cam angle is now drastically advanced at peak torque and slightly retarded from OEM by redline.

At idle the torque reserve is decreased and the cam angle is more retarded to result in a smoother idle that is more torque focused and less emissions focused, this was a drastic improvement over the crappy OEM stumbling idle.

B8-A4-2LT6MT-8K2907115AD_0004-Stage2-94oct-NEW39+CatDel.hpt
    New39-drive2-Pull1.hpl
    New39-drive2-Pull2.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Sounds good, simple yet effective for that small of a change. I tried to do the same but I am having some wired issues with my LTFT, they are always 0.0, they seem to be turned off but I do not find where to activate them, or perhaps it is related to the fact that my ECU runs mafless, what do you think?
    Tyler would know more than me but I dont think it will ever be right running mafless. The maf is needed for load/torque which is how everything works on these ecus.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaptuning View Post
    Tyler would know more than me but I dont think it will ever be right running mafless. The maf is needed for load/torque which is how everything works on these ecus.
    LAGP has a variant of MED17 that runs in true speed density with a real MAP sensor, he's not running "MAFless" and ive been trying to help him for a while now with some things being a mystery haha

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    LAGP has a variant of MED17 that runs in true speed density with a real MAP sensor, he's not running "MAFless" and ive been trying to help him for a while now with some things being a mystery haha
    Ah ok yea, its a pretty odd/rare setup that was only on like 1 yr of TT or something. MED17 ecu but almost a gen3 engine setup. Does HPT support that ecu?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaptuning View Post
    Ah ok yea, its a pretty odd/rare setup that was only on like 1 yr of TT or something. MED17 ecu but almost a gen3 engine setup. Does HPT support that ecu?
    The ECU is MED 17.1 and the engine is kind of a transition between Gen 1 and Gen 3 TSI, it is supported by HPT but many PID's are not available.

Potential Tuner
    Hey, not to revive a dead-ish thread but just looking over your two pulls at post 27 and it shows boost pressure doesn't drop off. Is that just the doing of the HFC/test pipe? I daily drive the audi and have plans for my wrx but I would really like to make my audi hold its boost through the rev range and not just drop off at 4500-5000 rpm like it does. I know a k04 would change that but does removing the restriction from the cat allow the stock turbo to keep the boost pressure up? Or am I off base here in assuming the cat even does any of that and its just built into the stock tune? Anything you got would be great

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kgheitz View Post
    ...not just drop off at 4500-5000 rpm like it does. ...
    That's a function of the stock turbo. K03s are daily driving turbos (read 3-5k RPMs)... not performance oriented. I went from a Stock Tune/Cat to a Tune w HFC and gained about 30hp and slightly better spool time, but it still fell on it's face past 4500. It was falling to 8-9psi rather than 5psi, but it was still falling! It held it right to that line... then died.

The K04 ( or insert turbo type here) is the only way I found to get it to breath past that. My FT23L (K04 basically) is now doing 26psi for most of the range dropping to low 20s only at the redline. I love it!!!

There are lots of options to get it to flow... but all involve some form of turbo upgrade. Poor little K03 just won't do it!

Good Luck!

KS

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Botbasher View Post
    That's a function of the stock turbo. K03s are daily driving turbos (read 3-5k RPMs)... not performance oriented. I went from a Stock Tune/Cat to a Tune w HFC and gained about 30hp and slightly better spool time, but it still fell on it's face past 4500. It was falling to 8-9psi rather than 5psi, but it was still falling! It held it right to that line... then died.

The K04 ( or insert turbo type here) is the only way I found to get it to breath past that. My FT23L (K04 basically) is now doing 26psi for most of the range dropping to low 20s only at the redline. I love it!!!

There are lots of options to get it to flow... but all involve some form of turbo upgrade. Poor little K03 just won't do it!

Good Luck!

KS
    Ah alright, I read a quite extensive post on audizine about using the ebay k04 turbo and some people claim really good results, debated using it but its just weird trying to trust the ebay stores, especially when there's reviews that claim oil leaks within a few thousand miles. I'll have to look into the FT23L, is that just an ebay turbo that you found or is it sold by CTS/APR? Thanks for the quick reply, didnt know how active this side of the HPTuners forum was.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by kgheitz View Post
    Ah alright, I read a quite extensive post on audizine about using the ebay k04 turbo and some people claim really good results, debated using it but its just weird trying to trust the ebay stores, especially when there's reviews that claim oil leaks within a few thousand miles. I'll have to look into the FT23L, is that just an ebay turbo that you found or is it sold by CTS/APR? Thanks for the quick reply, didnt know how active this side of the HPTuners forum was.
    FrankenTurbo! http://www.frankenturbo.com/new/F23L.html

I have had mixed results with a eBay sourced turbos. Have one on my scratch built Lotus 7 replica. It's awesome! Due to the complexities in replacing it in my A5, I wouldn't trust it as a daily only due to the effort needed to work on it!

FT offers a 2 year fairly liberal warranty. Doug is a good source to work with (missing parts in my shipment were replaced without issue) and responsive to emails. And the price for the value was great! It's only fractionally more expensive than a stock K03 replacement!

A local Stage 2 S4 owner loves my car and how it delivers it's power... and keeps delivering it till you chicken out! He's mentioned a trade if he could get the SC whine on it! I gotta admit that the V6 growl and SC whine is intoxicating!

Stick with a name and you won't go wrong, but remember, buy once, cry once. Don't cheap out unless you intend to do it more than once!

KS
    Last edited by Botbasher; 04-05-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Potential Tuner
    I'll have to look into that! I did the wastegate repair on my stock turbo last spring and I hated every second of it on the A4, which is also the biggest thing keeping me from just getting a new turbo. I'll get into something one of these days, maybe when the turbo seals decide they're done or the shaft snaps. 163k on the turbo and the motor got a rebuild at some point before I got it but I can't confirm when and whether OEM or Aftermarket parts

Tuner in Training

VVT delete

Hi guys, I deleted the VVT on my engine and now intake cam is fixed at 14 deg. instead of 28 deg. also changed some of the parameters on the "Variable Camshaft" section, but I keep getting a Crank/Camshaft correlation CEL. Here is the file, if there is something I am missing please advice.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by TylerJDubbs View Post
    Attached is the newest file I've been working on for my B8 with Stock turbo and now custom built HFC instead of catless test pipe.

A few things I've been working on are getting the injection angle advanced in WOT and maintaining homogenous injection strategy instead of maxing out HPFP pressure to use stratified injection, Cam angle is now drastically advanced at peak torque and slightly retarded from OEM by redline.

At idle the torque reserve is decreased and the cam angle is more retarded to result in a smoother idle that is more torque focused and less emissions focused, this was a drastic improvement over the crappy OEM stumbling idle.

B8-A4-2LT6MT-8K2907115AD_0004-Stage2-94oct-NEW39+CatDel.hpt
    New39-drive2-Pull1.hpl
    New39-drive2-Pull2.hpl
    is This e30 or 94 pump gas?