Thread: Desperate need of help

Tuner in Training

Unhappy Desperate need of help

Okay, let me start out with this: I only know enough about tuning to be dangerous. I am not a professional tuner.

Vehicle: 07 Tahoe
    PCM: E38

Motor:
    427CI short block
    Comp 289/293 113
    P&P 317 Heads
    MSD coils
    FAST LSXRT 102 Intake
    DW 72# injectors w/ DW400 pump
    NW 102 TB
    4" intake pipe
    LS7 MAF
    1 7/8" x 3" primary long tubes
    no cats, no rear 02's

Issue:
    I started working the tune for all of the constant values that I know of to try to get in the ball park, and I cant get it to start and stay running.

These are the values I've set in the tune so far:
    Cylinder Volume; ETC Scalar; MAF/IAT Cal (with repository LS7); Manifold Volume, Injector Flow rate/Min Pulse/Short Pulse Adder/Offset vs IGN (had to be scaled due to flow limits) according to DW flow data; LS7 spark tables; and did the typical COTS/DOD/DFCO/Torque Management/MIL disables.
    Once all those were changed, I wrote to the vehicle and started trying to get the startup and idle using the Startup Airflow, Airflow Final Min, and Cranking FA adjusting them up and down significant amounts to see the difference. I got them to where they seem to start the engine but the RPMs take off to about 1500-2000 and it shuts off immediately. Any help would be appreciated.

Tahoe LS7 working.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Your VE tables are the problem. You'll either need to populate them with some proper values or disable them.
    Not only are the VE values wrong, but the X and Y axis values are also populated incorrectly. I would at least entire something that are reasonable numbers in them.
    In order to disable them, just change your Dynamic Airflow High/Low RPM fail value to 400/390 instead of their current values.

Oh, and you might reconsider your choice of ignition coils. Most tuners will tell you that they've had nothing but problems with the MSD LS ignition coils.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Your VE tables are the problem. You'll either need to populate them with some proper values or disable them.
    Not only are the VE values wrong, but the X and Y axis values are also populated incorrectly. I would at least entire something that are reasonable numbers in them.
    In order to disable them, just change your Dynamic Airflow High/Low RPM fail value to 400/390 instead of their current values.

Oh, and you might reconsider your choice of ignition coils. Most tuners will tell you that they've had nothing but problems with the MSD LS ignition coils.
    holy crap... i hadnt even opened the VE tables yet, looks like they got put through a blender. thanks!

Did you also install a 2 bar MAP sensor because this OS has the 2 bar OS upgrade applied to it.

If no 2 bar sensor, return to stock MAP settings.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Did you also install a 2 bar MAP sensor because this OS has the 2 bar OS upgrade applied to it.

If no 2 bar sensor, return to stock MAP settings.
    Yeah, I caught that. I also noticed a bunch of the tables revert to 0.00 when it?s upgraded to the 2 bar too. Not good for a multiplier I guess 😅

Tuner
    security light isn't flashing is it?
    14 GMC sierra 5.3

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt86 View Post
    security light isn't flashing is it?
    No security light, I'm definitely making progress on it. The other guys were spot on. When I converted it to 2 bar, I think it (or I when I was referencing other tunes) changed my map scaling and zeroed a bunch of tables. I changed the MAP back, that was one issue. The charge temp multiplier and TPS multiplier were also zeroed out, so I set them to 1. The VE table was completely FUBAR, I found something to get me in the ballpark and after I made those changes I've gotten it to start and I'm slowly populating the VE table and breaking in the engine.