Thread: struggling with e38 speed density start up and idle

Potential Tuner

struggling with e38 speed density start up and idle

Im having issues with my 2008 Silverado 4.8l rclb wt with sloppy stage 2 cam (228/230 .585" lift), vsracing 7875 turbo, 75.5# decapped injectors, and efisource 3 bar map. I am still learning hptuners and decided that using a base tune from the sloppy tune cabinet would get me off to a good start on tuning my truck. i used the tune from Matt's wife's truck that is almost identical to mine except for the turbo. I upgraded to the 2 bar speed density os and used copy over all differences from matt's tune into my own. This tune will barely start the truck unless I pump the throttle and the idle surges from about 400-600rpm and dies after about a minute. After messing with the tune for a while i decided to attempt populate my own ve table with the same result and unable to bring idle rpm above 500+. im pretty sure my maf is failing properly. Does anyone have any advise or helpful howtos? Any help would be appreciated. here is the file. slopptune##.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    I think one of your issues may be with your injector flow rate settings. If your injectors tested around 75.5, that's what the flow rate should be in the ~400kpa area in the flow rate vs delta table, but you still need to scale it out for the vacuum drop if you're running a returnless setup.

Also, what's your map say at koeo?

Tuner in Training
    the map on Matt's wife's truck is for a duramax. I think efisource map linear 305.00 kPa , offset 10.33 kPa.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sevinn View Post
    I think one of your issues may be with your injector flow rate settings. If your injectors tested around 75.5, that's what the flow rate should be in the ~400kpa area in the flow rate vs delta table, but you still need to scale it out for the vacuum drop if you're running a returnless setup.

Also, what's your map say at koeo?
    I have changed my flow rate by maxing out the flow rate vs pressure table at 63.5 and using the voltage multiplier to bring the values to 75.5 with little change. I assume i shouldn't have done this for all values with a returnless setup? Should i use values that ramp up to my flowrate at lower pressure delta? My map says 105 at koeo.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chemical View Post
    the map on Matt's wife's truck is for a duramax. I think efisource map linear 305.00 kPa , offset 10.33 kPa.
    yeah he says duramax in video and efisource in wiki lol. ive tried both, I need to leave it at 305/10.33 for consistency's sake because im sure this is a culmination of issues.

Have you tried increasing the idle to 800 or so to keep it running. My truck idles at 900 rpm any lower I get misfire codes. That’s where I started as well as used a stock ve table to get running.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RySmDPT14 View Post
    Have you tried increasing the idle to 800 or so to keep it running. My truck idles at 900 rpm any lower I get misfire codes. That’s where I started as well as used a stock ve table to get running.
    It doesn?t respond to changes in base idle as far as I can tell

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwilkin View Post
    I have changed my flow rate by maxing out the flow rate vs pressure table at 63.5 and using the voltage multiplier to bring the values to 75.5 with little change. I assume i shouldn't have done this for all values with a returnless setup? Should i use values that ramp up to my flowrate at lower pressure delta? My map says 105 at koeo.
    Correct, with a returnless setup you need to keep the ramp in place. Try scaling them to where the ~400 column is near where you want then either use that voltage multiplier or do the double stoich/half ifr method to get it right. 105 is probably reading a little high but it shouldn't throw you off that far.

Log desired idle speed to see if it is actually responding to your requests or not, but I think if you get the injectors closer you'll be in better shape. You may also need more base airflow. What size throttle body is on the truck?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by sevinn View Post
    Correct, with a returnless setup you need to keep the ramp in place. Try scaling them to where the ~400 column is near where you want then either use that voltage multiplier or do the double stoich/half ifr method to get it right. 105 is probably reading a little high but it shouldn't throw you off that far.

Log desired idle speed to see if it is actually responding to your requests or not, but I think if you get the injectors closer you'll be in better shape. You may also need more base airflow. What size throttle body is on the truck?
    ok I have the injectors setup more appropriately with no noticeable change in idle quality or speed. I logged my desired idle rpm and it was sitting at 800. I changed my idle rpm in tune and it displayed higher with no change whatsoever to the idle. I have the stock 87mm drive by wire throttle body. At my 600ish rpm idle my map is reading 85ish and the timing was around 30* which I thought was kinda high? I lowered it to 22* with no change in idle again. idle is sitting around high 12's low 13's afr. the idle is very delicate. It will not start unless I depress the throttle and will not idle until I gently set the rpms into the 1000-500rpm range with the throttle. if I rev at all it will fall and die or barely catch itself. I hope some of this info helps.

Potential Tuner
    OP here. Figured it out. Under idle>airflow>effective area>max fail and percent max. I just maxed them both out and it actually started correcting my idle. I guess the drive by wire throttle was unable to get any movement to correct the throttle because I was failing the maf. Not sure if the percent max was restricting me but I maxed it out just to be sure. Idle and startup are no where near perfect but I can actually start to dial them in now lol.

Tuner in Training
    hey what were the max fail numbers and percentages