Thread: Silver blade throttle body vs gold blade

Potential Tuner

Silver blade throttle body vs gold blade

Hi folks. I have a 2008 G8 GT and need to replace my throttle body. It is the silver blade throttle body and cant seem to find any for sale anywhere, they've been discontinued from GM. My question is has anyone found a way to use the gold blade throttle bodies? I know they rotate the opposite direction from the silver. I've heard of some people using them and have problems with them around WOT, and some people haven't had any issues. What's the consensus on the gold blades, do they work or not? If so, do they require any tuning?

If I were you I would look for a used silver TB on ebay or one of the forums...I.e. C6 Corvette Forum. There usually are quite a few of them used. Not sure what is wrong with yours but if it’s in good shape there are a few companies out there that do porting including CNC porting and will take yours as a core.

The two are interchangeable until you put a blower on. Then the gold blade LS3 has many issues. No blower no problem. LS2 silver blade has more TQ on the actuator.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Senior Tuner
    They do not seem to ever be totally interchangeable. I've had some not leave the parking lot with the wrong one and others go a month before throwing codes.

For a while it seemed like you could put a gold on a OE silver application and be OK but ever single time I've tried this it's come back eventually.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs