Thread: 5.9 magnum timing

Potential Tuner

5.9 magnum timing

Whats up everyone, im working on a tune for an 01 ram with the 5.9. Im curious what everyones done with timing on these. through a little research on the forums ive read that theres a little bit of power to be had by adding some timing up top but when i pulled the factory tune from the truck i saw that it was already at 40 degrees which seems like a lot to me. i also noticed the torque management in the ecu pulls 7.5-15 degrees of timing out over 4k rpm depending on gear.

will just getting rid of torque management give me what i want or will it still be too much timing.

Any suggestions on what would help make the truck run a little better would be appreciated.

attached is the stock tune01ram59.hpt

Tuner
    Check grand Cherokee tune,I think the tune on those is for premium fuel

Tuner in Training
    Looking at the bottom right corner of the timing table on my 5.9 grand Cherokee there is as much as 34 degrees where my 5.9 Ram only has 27 at WOT. I used the jeep table in place of the one on my ram and it made it about .25 seconds quicker to 60 according to my stop watch.

Tuner
    post your gc 5.9 file here

Potential Tuner
    yes please post it. I would like to compare.

5.9 jgc stock tune.

Quote Originally Posted by alexfloresaz View Post
    yes please post it. I would like to compare.
    1998 Jeep 5.9.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheapjeepoffroad View Post
    Just curious, why does that 5.9 tune list VATS instead of SKIM?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RoosterX View Post
    Just curious, why does that 5.9 tune list VATS instead of SKIM?
    I have seen that too with HP Tuners and the JTEC PCM's. My guess is that it's the way HP Tuners has written the software for the VCM Editor.

Do you have a JTEC PCM that you are currently tuning and see SKIM listed as VATS? If so, what year PCM are you tuning or are you just referring to the 5.9 Jeep Grand Cherokee tune file that is posted above?

Tuner in Training
    I downloaded the Jeep 5.9 file and just opened it in the editor. I did download a 5.7 file (for my 08 Ram) and it said SKIM. Haven't connected either vehicle, as I just picked this up last night. I was just curious as to why it listed a GM security system.

Tuner
    Because they did not have Sentry key, they had VTA.

stock 5.9 don't like more upper rpm timing advance. i tested this at the drag strip. i went slower with more timing at high rpm.

you will get a performance increase by advancing the timing in the mid range tho.

stock i ran 15.5@85
    advance timing in mid range 15.0@90
    2000 Dakota R/T
    gt45
    42lb
    honda map
    10psi