Thread: Time out error during write

Time out error during write

So yesterday, I was messing with a couple things, mostly was working on the shifting, timing, speeds and firmness. They felt quite stout at lower speeds/rpms, which I fixed, but I did have a glitch in the process.
    While I was writing the tune (I had my same laptop, full battery, no cables/charging ac/dc stuff, all vehicle components off, heater/ac, even disable DRL's and while about 30% through the TCM write, I get a timeout error. 1st time ever and it kinda freaked me out, but I stayed calm and did a re-write.
    So all seemed good, truck felt good, shifted nicely, but then out of the blue It goes all Christmas tree on the dash, and truck is in worse than limp mode feeling. (I may have figured where as far as the timing of when, based on a wide variety of vehicles functions/operations it happens) and after the first time, I'm thinking ok, it was something to do with that timeout so I stopped, read and cleared all DTC's and tried it again. Same thing all felt good, even when I stabbed the throttle a bit, or even eased into it up to full throttle, felt and sounded great, but then, stop sign. I turn the corner nice and slow and I eased into the throttle a bit and boom, back to your screwed mode, same error and activity, basically turning off all TCC and STBL Track, check engine, service engine and all, so now I'm trippin. SO, I pull over, pull up the previous tune with previous settings on tranny (only slight differences I think) and did a "write entire".
    Take off again and all is good, shift soon, smooth and seems ok even with a little throttle activity, so I proceed on and we get to some point on the journey and boom, it happens again, only this time I was very aware of exactly what I was doing and the throttling and speeds and rpm's when it happened so I am thinking there is more to it likely since I can drive anywhere, at many speeds, cruise the highway and even around town. I can stab the throttle, ease into it, get it to kick to low and launch from rolling just near the skip shift point and all was well, over 30 minutes of cruising on a variety of roads/conditions. I come to a stop and I ease the throttle to take off and purposely do it like I did the last time it went into failure mode and there it was, "screwed mode" again.
    So while I read a tone of information, I see various items from other tuners that say it can possibly be a multitude of things voltage, shift points, timing and speeds, torque settings and all these things that if they get just far enough out of line can cause this error.
    The timeout error bothers me quite a bit, but based on this post;

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?83984-Currently-have-a-MPVI-pro-afraid-to-update-anything&p=607448#post607448

Unless there was an error in software/firmware updates, and/or cable issues that I did wrong or have, I still think it may be a tuning item causing the error, which I am researching now based on a couple previous tunes that worked fine, I really don't wanna go back to the dealer for a TCM flash unless absolutely necessary.

I have (last night) and still up to know been looking at all the items that were pointed out to be a possible setting that could cause the error and I can describe what and how it happens based on the log, I'm just still trying to learn the setting/s that may cause it.

So if I can get answers to the linked post here, I can better make decisions on how to proceed and possibly even having to go to the dreaded dealership for a flash.

But, until then, I thought I could describe it and even share the log file so another could see the activities revolving around when I get this error, but (since I love righting short stories), I'll still describe it to my best ability.

Taking off from a dead stop with conservative throttling, but then at about 7 to 8mph, add a little and at a bit more aggression W/O actually stomping, but easing heavily we'll say, it starts to go then falls on it's face in screwed mode.
    So if you watch the Chart vs. Time at 17:20:26.5, it is at 1424 rpm/7mph, 32.5% TPS, Tran Pressure mode "steady state", just showing change from gear 1 to 2. Then just less than a full second (on the chart) onward with the mouse, it does a weird thing, as at this time is when I say I start to ease on a bit of throttle, not real quickly, but with more than the moment just a second prior. At that time just as the throttle increase is happening, the time is 1/3 past 17:20:27.2, it just 1650 rpm/9mph, 36.5% TPS, tans mode has been in "shift" for this whole time, it drops the Trans current Gear back to 1 (like it is trying, in the middle of shift 1>2 to shift back to (or remain/somehow stay) in gear 1. In the time blip from 1/3 past 17:20:27.2 to about 60% past, from that 1650rpm up to the 1663rpm/10mph, (36.5% TPS still) is still showing gear 1, then immediately at the (close enough) same time point on chart, it shows 1664rpm/10mph, 36.5% TPS, trans pressure mode still shift, it goes back to gear 2 in the current gear PID (all kinda looking like an attempted/missed skip shift action) then as you pass 17:20:27.4 chart time 1761 rpm/10mph (as I believe this is when it just starts the limp state) you can watch the rpm start to fall, the TPS is now at 37% So all the while realizing, these time differences are REALLY very short and you are feeling (in the seat of your pants) all these things and forces.....it drops to 1470 rpm/11mph, still in "shift" state and now almost 38% TPS, just a bit (very VERY short bit) before it climbs back to 1530 RPM/11mph, but 39% TPS (I'm still easing it down) Trans Mode now says "steady state", I can at this point just start to feel it fall, and even though it says it is in gear 2, it REALLY is in gear one in the truck. So I am still easing in the throttle a bit, up to now 40% TPS, 2167 RPM/19mph trans "steady state" (which I don't know how as I said, gear says 2, but in the truck, it's still "kinda pulling" in gear 1) and again, I'm feeling all this time it isn't feeling like it is pulling like it should (would normally have felt), then just a bit longer, as you notice, I'm dropping the TPS (as I said, I already feel it fall off and go into limp state), but just 1/2 way past the 17:20:28.9, thrans mode goes to "Diag Max" state and she's now just burbling with all the dash lights flashing to the sound of me going "well, I at least know how to make it break, now can I fix it".
    Now remember, I can clear the DTC, drive it like I stole it, and only again if I go through the same exact (or at least as similar as I can simulate) motions, she'd back in "screw you mode" again.
    Starts right up, idles fine, cruises at anything from 35 through 70 no problems, but just at that moment I take off like I just described, it goes into failure. The DTC is always the same, I reset, go on and I'm not sure which way to proceed.
    I tried doing a "write entire", however, I have yet to re-write with my original factory read in any way, so that's another question, should I try that? see if I can make it go to limp mode, or any other ideas?

Here is the log if you care to see it to follow along the timing of my description of events.

20-04-18 17-21-19.hpl
    Last edited by 00GrcyGtr; 04-19-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added link and additional info
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS

BUMP - Anyone?
    Every since this happened, the trans works, and shift fine, but my PID channel for (Trans Shift Mode shows "unknown: 80")
    Quote Originally Posted by 00GrcyGtr View Post
    So yesterday, I was messing with a couple things, mostly was working on the shifting, timing, speeds and firmness. They felt quite stout at lower speeds/rpms, which I fixed, but I did have a glitch in the process.
    While I was writing the tune (I had my same laptop, full battery, no cables/charging ac/dc stuff, all vehicle components off, heater/ac, even disable DRL's and while about 30% through the TCM write, I get a timeout error. 1st time ever and it kinda freaked me out, but I stayed calm and did a re-write.
    So all seemed good, truck felt good, shifted nicely, but then out of the blue It goes all Christmas tree on the dash, and truck is in worse than limp mode feeling. (I may have figured where as far as the timing of when, based on a wide variety of vehicles functions/operations it happens) and after the first time, I'm thinking ok, it was something to do with that timeout so I stopped, read and cleared all DTC's and tried it again. Same thing all felt good, even when I stabbed the throttle a bit, or even eased into it up to full throttle, felt and sounded great, but then, stop sign. I turn the corner nice and slow and I eased into the throttle a bit and boom, back to your screwed mode, same error and activity, basically turning off all TCC and STBL Track, check engine, service engine and all, so now I'm trippin. SO, I pull over, pull up the previous tune with previous settings on tranny (only slight differences I think) and did a "write entire".
    Take off again and all is good, shift soon, smooth and seems ok even with a little throttle activity, so I proceed on and we get to some point on the journey and boom, it happens again, only this time I was very aware of exactly what I was doing and the throttling and speeds and rpm's when it happened so I am thinking there is more to it likely since I can drive anywhere, at many speeds, cruise the highway and even around town. I can stab the throttle, ease into it, get it to kick to low and launch from rolling just near the skip shift point and all was well, over 30 minutes of cruising on a variety of roads/conditions. I come to a stop and I ease the throttle to take off and purposely do it like I did the last time it went into failure mode and there it was, "screwed mode" again.
    So while I read a tone of information, I see various items from other tuners that say it can possibly be a multitude of things voltage, shift points, timing and speeds, torque settings and all these things that if they get just far enough out of line can cause this error.
    The timeout error bothers me quite a bit, but based on this post;

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?83984-Currently-have-a-MPVI-pro-afraid-to-update-anything&p=607448#post607448

Unless there was an error in software/firmware updates, and/or cable issues that I did wrong or have, I still think it may be a tuning item causing the error, which I am researching now based on a couple previous tunes that worked fine, I really don't wanna go back to the dealer for a TCM flash unless absolutely necessary.

I have (last night) and still up to know been looking at all the items that were pointed out to be a possible setting that could cause the error and I can describe what and how it happens based on the log, I'm just still trying to learn the setting/s that may cause it.

So if I can get answers to the linked post here, I can better make decisions on how to proceed and possibly even having to go to the dreaded dealership for a flash.

But, until then, I thought I could describe it and even share the log file so another could see the activities revolving around when I get this error, but (since I love righting short stories), I'll still describe it to my best ability.

Taking off from a dead stop with conservative throttling, but then at about 7 to 8mph, add a little and at a bit more aggression W/O actually stomping, but easing heavily we'll say, it starts to go then falls on it's face in screwed mode.
    So if you watch the Chart vs. Time at 17:20:26.5, it is at 1424 rpm/7mph, 32.5% TPS, Tran Pressure mode "steady state", just showing change from gear 1 to 2. Then just less than a full second (on the chart) onward with the mouse, it does a weird thing, as at this time is when I say I start to ease on a bit of throttle, not real quickly, but with more than the moment just a second prior. At that time just as the throttle increase is happening, the time is 1/3 past 17:20:27.2, it just 1650 rpm/9mph, 36.5% TPS, tans mode has been in "shift" for this whole time, it drops the Trans current Gear back to 1 (like it is trying, in the middle of shift 1>2 to shift back to (or remain/somehow stay) in gear 1. In the time blip from 1/3 past 17:20:27.2 to about 60% past, from that 1650rpm up to the 1663rpm/10mph, (36.5% TPS still) is still showing gear 1, then immediately at the (close enough) same time point on chart, it shows 1664rpm/10mph, 36.5% TPS, trans pressure mode still shift, it goes back to gear 2 in the current gear PID (all kinda looking like an attempted/missed skip shift action) then as you pass 17:20:27.4 chart time 1761 rpm/10mph (as I believe this is when it just starts the limp state) you can watch the rpm start to fall, the TPS is now at 37% So all the while realizing, these time differences are REALLY very short and you are feeling (in the seat of your pants) all these things and forces.....it drops to 1470 rpm/11mph, still in "shift" state and now almost 38% TPS, just a bit (very VERY short bit) before it climbs back to 1530 RPM/11mph, but 39% TPS (I'm still easing it down) Trans Mode now says "steady state", I can at this point just start to feel it fall, and even though it says it is in gear 2, it REALLY is in gear one in the truck. So I am still easing in the throttle a bit, up to now 40% TPS, 2167 RPM/19mph trans "steady state" (which I don't know how as I said, gear says 2, but in the truck, it's still "kinda pulling" in gear 1) and again, I'm feeling all this time it isn't feeling like it is pulling like it should (would normally have felt), then just a bit longer, as you notice, I'm dropping the TPS (as I said, I already feel it fall off and go into limp state), but just 1/2 way past the 17:20:28.9, thrans mode goes to "Diag Max" state and she's now just burbling with all the dash lights flashing to the sound of me going "well, I at least know how to make it break, now can I fix it".
    Now remember, I can clear the DTC, drive it like I stole it, and only again if I go through the same exact (or at least as similar as I can simulate) motions, she'd back in "screw you mode" again.
    Starts right up, idles fine, cruises at anything from 35 through 70 no problems, but just at that moment I take off like I just described, it goes into failure. The DTC is always the same, I reset, go on and I'm not sure which way to proceed.
    I tried doing a "write entire", however, I have yet to re-write with my original factory read in any way, so that's another question, should I try that? see if I can make it go to limp mode, or any other ideas?

Here is the log if you care to see it to follow along the timing of my description of events.

20-04-18 17-21-19.hpl
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

"To explain the lure of speed you would have to explain human nature; but it is easier understood than explained...Speed is the second oldest animal craving in our nature..." -- T. E. Lawrence
    2000 Regal GSE
    2007 Trailblazer SS