Thread: 08 ram 4l80 trans issues

Tuner in Training

08 ram 4l80 trans issues

My build is 3 years old and was working great untill the latest hp software download. I'm running a 4l80 transmission with a full manual valve body. When loading the tune before I had to change the transmission option to 4 speed auto and disable the rest to get everything to work correctly. I updated the software and changes a couple trans codes to get rid of the check engine light and when I reflashed the ECM I now have no throttle. I can see the pedal percentage go up on the vcm scanner but the throttle body doesn't do a thing. I have since reverted back to the original file and still nothing. The truck worked fine up untill I updated the software and tried to load the new file. Literally nothing has been changed other then the file update. I've tried going through all the available trans options and reflashing it with no luck.

Tuner in Training
    Ive talked to a few shops and they seem to be having issues as well. I opened a ticket and they continue to tell me it's a tuning issue not a software issue and will no.lomger assist me. If I select manual transmission it will not start. If I select anything other then manual or leave them all disabled it will start but I have no throttle. Pedal percent goes up but that's all. Pedal position V sits at 0 as does the throttle position sensor.
    This was all good with older software but I am unable to go back to the older software and if I try to load up the file from the usb drive I got with the unit originally back in 2017 it will fry the USB cable somehow.
    Has anyone had any experience with this or knows a work around?
    Any reason why it will not crank with manual transmission enabled?
    I can't stress enough this combination was flawless for the last 3 years and the truck was running and driving just before I updated the software.

Advanced Tuner
    Could it be looking for a signal to start with manual enabled?? Like clutch pedal depressed?? Or neutral safety switch?? Possible bad pedal sensor..?? Have you done a throttle relearn?? If nothing else you could convert it over to drive by cable...
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam

Advanced Tuner
    Did you try a compare to a previous good file? Sometimes things "change" in tables when opening a file with a newer software version. I think it's part of how the software prevents opening a newer file with older software, but that is just a theory. Sometimes it's only by .001, just enough to throw things off in inverse tables.

Do you have an older file that hasn't been opened or saved with the current beta? You may be able to load the older software if you still have it and use that file successfully.
    Many people have become afraid of downloading the latest Betas.
    https://youtu.be/CGDWlsye1iY
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Tuner in Training
    I've tried looking for signals but nothing seems to show up what it's looking for. I've thought of clutch switch however these trucks never came with a manual so where do I even start with trying to find a signal that the ECM is looking for.
    I have tried throttle relearn with no luck but I have a very hard time seeing this being a vehicle issue. When I finished this build in 2017 I had the same issue however it was a very easy fix by disabling the factory trans and enable 4 speed auto. Now since the 4.0.12 update back in 2018 which was my last update, the trans choices have changed in the newer software. The problem is I no longer have the backup for 4.0.12 all I have is newer stuff so I can't even try the older software to make sure that's my issue. The truck ran just before I updated software and I've even loaded the old tune to make sure these aren't and issue I've created. Shutting off a check engine light shouldn't stop the throttle from working when I was just shutting off trans codes from 2017 that I've ignored.
    I have talked to modern muscle and they are having the same issue with newer software and have not yet found a fix.
    This always worked by selecting 4 speed automatic however it's not longer fixing my issues

Advanced Tuner
    Even if you had 4.0.12, you couldn't use it if you updated to the latest version. There is a forced firmware update that won't work with older software.

I wouldn't stop with the support tickets at this point because that is the only way you can fix it now short of finding an older MPVI that hasn't been updated yet that will run the older software.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Tuner in Training
    I'm assuming that's why my old software that came on the usb drive won't even work. There's no way to trick the MPVI to run older software once it's touched new stuff?
    They said they forwarded my ticket to a tech however they have stopped replying to my emails. They insist it's a tuning issue and I would agree of I hadn't been driving the truck for the past 3 years and I was driving it just before the update.
    Why is it so hard to get help now days.
    I've thought about doing different logs and checking if there is some sort of signal the ECM is not getting that it should and modify that through the editor but all I have are the parameters from my old data logs and there isn't enough on there to try and diagnose this. There's no codes coming up and nothing off on the data log other then a fat 0 for pedal V. The throttle body is moving on startup when it idles down so it's getting a pcm signal to do it's thing. It's simply not getting a signal from the pedal to the throttle body. Pedal % goes up as it should but V sits at 0.