Thread: Text data from .csv file

Potential Tuner

Text data from .csv file

Hi, i need to print text data from text value in my "MESSAGE".csv file. any advice?

Advanced Tuner
    It doesn't look like RaceRender supports reading in text values from input data. I only see support for numbers (which likely simplifies a lot of processing). It seems like this would be a nice feature to have if, for example, you wanted to name the individual turn you were approaching on a track with named corners.

You could try manually adding Text Objects and setting them to be active when appropriate (see this documentation).

Alternatively, you could try to follow what ArnoldStorm was doing in this post.

Potential Tuner
    i have a mavic mini, i need to display the moment when the mavic mini starts recording. It is useful for me to accurately synchronize the video with the .csv file. The values ​​that I read inside the file are (no, start, started) how do I make them read to racerender? I would need to convert them to numbers in order to use them, but how?

Advanced Tuner
    If you have a limited amount of values, you can number them. For example:
    1. No
    2. Start
    3. Started
    4. Stop
    5. Stopped

You can replace the values in your data with the numbers, and then you can use the following Object:

Text - Enumeration.rro

Use these steps to add it to RaceRender.

After you add it, you can click on the properties, click on Open Script Editor, and then change the values in the Background Script to whatever values you want. You can also follow the same pattern in the Background and Foreground to add more values if you want.

This works best if you only move between values that are directly next to each other, or if you have a very high sampling rate.

Potential Tuner
    thanks, but what trick to automatically transform text values ​​into numbers? I tried with excel but the exported .csv has problems on racerender.

Advanced Tuner
    I still think your best bet is to use a Text Display Object for the text you want to display and use the timeline to allow you to hide or show it and change what text is displayed (see: http://racerender.com/RR3/docs/Q&A.html#Text). That doesn't directly correlate to the data and would be a manual process for each video, but it would give you the most control and probably look the best.

I was able to put together something that can read ASCII values and display the text directly. It's somewhat tricky to make it look smoothly, but that would give you at least some flexibility.

There are a number of drawbacks to this approach:
    1. You can only use UPPERCASE text
    2. You can only display up to 8 characters (otherwise the numbers get too large and the math to find each character stops working)
    3. You need a really high refresh rate or the transition from one row to the next will display gibberish

If that still fits what you're looking for, then go for it:

Text - ASCII.rro

I used this table to determine the 2 digit number that corresponds to each uppercase character and then combine them all into one number in the column of my data.

NO = 7879
    START = 8384658284
    STARTED = 83846582846968
    STOP = 83847980
    STOPPED = 83847980806968

Perhaps someone else can come up with a better compression algorithm that simply concatenating characters, but this is the best I can do on short notice.

If @Weston@HPTuners could update the Enhanced Object Script Editor to have a "DataString" variable that is simply a String representation of the "DataValue" variable, then we could display any arbitrary text exactly like you want, but that's not currently available. Hopefully that comes in a future release!