Thread: Knock retard help

Tuner in Training

Knock retard help

Hi all, i have a recurring knock retard with my cammed 6.0 and im struggling to pin down why exactly this is happening. i suspect that there is no real knock but i am unsure. this problem does not appear to be consistent to my eyes, however right now the issue seems to be occurring in the 2000 rpm range which also happens to be where my exhaust is the loudest, could it be that i have abit of my exhaust rattling around causing these issues? im working on my ve tables still and these tunes are in speed density. thanks for any help
    2002 rcsb silverado
    6.0 with elgin 1839 cam 1 7/8 speed engineering long tubes 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust 55lb flec fuel injectors
    4l80e with 2300ish rpm stall and shift kit
    sd 28 ( lets work knock).hpl
    sd 28 1.hpl
    sd 28.hpt

Try to clean up your VE table, it's got way too many spikes/dips when you look at the 3D graph. It's jumping way too much between cells so fueling is not smooth at all.

Loud exhaust that vibrates for sure can be a cause. And if your motor mounts are sub par condition.

I wouldn't really worry about low levels of part throttle knock either, most will just drive themselves crazy if you are trying to remove 1-2 degrees in random spots under light load area's. It's not hurting performance at all. Even play with you timing too, you timing tables really drop out under even light throttle movements. Could probably raise it up so it's doesn't drop down into the teens, keep it in the low 20's and your cruise timing I bet would take another 5-10 degrees easy when it's just bumming around at speed. I've run 35-45 degrees no problem.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Alright I'll start playing with it some more and ill work on my VE tables today as well. Some of these Knock spikes will be as high as 4-5 in real time but the chart is only logging 1 or 2 on the chart. is there any reason for this?

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    is your chart set to display average value? look for an "A" at the top of the chart controls. you can change this setting to look between minimum, average, or max values by selecting "-"/"A"/"+"
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

I usually increase my Burst knock retard > Enable Delta Cyl Air numbers. Some say to double to stock number, I just set them all to 5 and let it eat. The Delta cyl air is how much of an increase in air rushing in. You'll notice your KR always comes in as you are giving it more throttle.