Thread: Looking to install nitrous. Need to get thoughts from you all.

Looking to install nitrous. Need to get thoughts from you all.

Ok I am looking to add a Nitrous kit. I have a question as I have made a LOT of changes to the stock tune.

Question) Should I flash in the stock tune and pull timing from there and start all over, or can I just load the stock timing tables and pull timing from there to start leaving all other changes?

I'm attaching both my stock and modified tune.

- Non-modified engine
    - Running e-85 only
    Attached Files Attached Files

adjust spark table at wot area & load .6 and above and zero all spark adders .
    Turbocharged COYOTE

PM for E tune / Remote Tuning
    [email protected]

Good deal!

Thanks. I also called the manufacturer and it seems I dont need to go back to stock timing. Just remove timing from where it is. So that will make things easier.

Advanced Tuner
    if you have to ask this question its probably best you leave the tuning up to a pro
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    if you have to ask this question its probably best you leave the tuning up to a pro
    In a perfect world thats exactly what I would do. But I don't live there. In my world the "tuners" in my area are mostly "tooners". So I have to get as much info as I can and make the best choices that I can with what I have. Maybe one day I'll move and find this place you refer to.

Thanks for the advice though.

I have thought about remote tuning but thats not normally looked on to favorably by many.

I'm basically in a spot where I know enough to know I don't know. So I am relying on the kindness and knowledge of others to figure this out.

Tuner
    is this a wet kit or a dry kit
    2010 mustang GT
    680/750 self taught tuner
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of horsepower

Wet kit. Plate system.

Tuner
    since its a wet kit, start out on a small shot to get your afr correct with the zeroed out timing tables to prevent any damage. Wet kits add the fuel the kit needs or should anyway by tapping into your fuel shrader valve. once those are good start adding timing I think its a 1 degree retard per 50 hp? don't quote me on that but by looking around you can find out.
    2010 mustang GT
    680/750 self taught tuner
    Life, liberty, and the pursuit of horsepower

Yeah. I'm gonna have to do something like that. I've pulled 2 degrees after 3000 rpm and an additional 2 degrees up top. Also swapped out my plugs with BR7's.

I'll give that a try on like a 50 shot and see how my lambda and spark look then go from there.

Running E85 so reading plugs will be difficult but I can still check for spatter and such.

I'll do a couple test logs before I spray to be sure the timing is acting like I want it to.

Things are going well. Just need to figure out fuel delivery. Right now when the fuel solenoid kicks open I have a big drop in fuel. So I'm attempting to up the fuel pressure in order to minimize that. Right now I'm adjusting the high load table and leaving everything else.

If someone has a better idea I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by truspeedinc View Post
    since its a wet kit, start out on a small shot to get your afr correct with the zeroed out timing tables to prevent any damage. Wet kits add the fuel the kit needs or should anyway by tapping into your fuel shrader valve. once those are good start adding timing I think its a 1 degree retard per 50 hp? don't quote me on that but by looking around you can find out.
    I'll delete if the OP wants me to as I'm slightly hijacking here. How would you start with a dry kit, on a MAP system(no MAF)?

Ok got it all sorted on the 100 shot. Not going any more than that. Lambda looks good. Total timing around 14 degrees. Think I might bump it to 15 and see how it goes. Not even a hint of an issue at this time.

Anyone have experience running a 100 shot on a 4.6 2v motor? It's running great just seems like I should be getting more from a 100 shot is all. Wish there was a chasis dyno near me.

Thanks for reading and any insight you can give.

Advanced Tuner
    how much timing are u running without the n2o and with?

what is your afr at wot without the n2o and with?

Timing around 12 degrees. Currently the same with or without. (probably to low but trying to be safe due to lambda)

No n2o lambda hovers around .880 but then slowly climbs to .944. I'm having difficulty keeping around .850 which is my target.

With n2o lambda starts at .880 then climbs to .940. Fuel pressures are good.

EDIT: I think I am going to have to go back to a 50 shot and upgrade my fuel pump to get this to work better. Been really looking at my logs and I have one bank 200mv below the other when the n2o is active so even though the pressures are good the volume doesn't look like it is.
    Last edited by 09Vic; 05-17-2020 at 02:03 PM.

Your NA and n2o afrs are concerningly lean. I think you're on the right path with a fuel pump upgrade and then from there you need to correct the NA afr issue before playing with more spray.
    Last edited by Evo8john; 05-20-2020 at 08:38 AM.

Update.

It's working well now on a 100 shot and e-85. No issues to speak of and good readings on plugs. Thanks for the help.