Thread: Pcm bricked

Potential Tuner

Pcm bricked

Ok well I did it.... I've had hp tuners for about 6 months learned how to tune(no expert) but I've got my 408 ls motor with a big cam dialed in quite decent!!! Recently added 50 lb injectors tuned for it.. running rich but good. Did some fuel logging and went to reflash the pcm and "error unlock timed out". Tried everything I could think of. Email the support team not much help. Bought a new PCM with the same vin thinking that would work..

Nope different OS or serial, so had to rebuy credits. Reflashed and running good again. Wait gets better!!!! Went for a drive to log for fuel again made some adjustments went to reflash and AGAIN!!!!!! TIMED OUT!!!!!!! WTF... Im not messing with car, battery good, laptop good I dont under stand. This cant be right!!!! I've been tuning this car for quite a bit and out of the blue this happens ok cool but twice wtf???? 2 PCMs and 4 credits later... some please help me out, is their some wazoo setting I'm over looking???? Yes I am newer to this but like I said why now??? I've been tuning the shit out of this vehicle without any issues. In am frustrated not at the fact I have to keep buying credits or PCMs but at the fact this keeps happening without warning. And there is no way HP can re credit you the credits... but I get that part just annoying.... some input please who out there has had this issue before what did u do???

CAN bus issue. Every mod that affected the harness and every place it could be rubbed are suspects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_4rYO7e91k
    https://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/can-bus-fault-finding-tips-and-hints-part-1/
    Last edited by jsllc; 04-23-2020 at 09:35 PM.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Potential Tuner
    That sounds very possible... but the pcm is for a 2002 camaro. Isn't that a serial port style??? I did use the harness from a 2001 corvette and reworked it I do plan to cut out the obd2 port and resolder the wires and follow it back and the way to the pcm to verify it's good..

I cant be the only person having had this issue before?? Anyone else??

Advanced Tuner

controller unlocker timed out

This is starting to happen too often. What HP Tuner version are you running and having problems with?
    i am having this problem with my P59 Silverado 2500HD ECU. If I wait until next day it will take the upload. First thing before start up it will upload file then after driving and logging histogram the update will begin, it sometimes gets to the bootloader 100% then during the writing time it starts and then shows a long time to upload then fails. Sound familiar? Then I try again and controller unlocker timed out and that's it for today. Again waiting until the next day, it has been taking the upload. Very frustrating on a customer's car.
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 04-25-2020 at 07:35 PM. Reason: additional info to help

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondaeater View Post
    First thing before start up it will upload file then after driving and logging histogram the update will begin, it sometimes gets to the bootloader 100% then during the writing time it starts and then shows a long time to upload then fails. Sound familiar? Then I try again and controller unlocker timed out and that's it for today. Again waiting until the next day, it has been taking the upload. Very frustrating on a customer's car.
    I just started with this stuff and ran into the same error. Freaked out for awhile that the PCM died after the first test write.

High speed? Write fails after a huge delay, then controller unlocker timeout. Slow speed? Timeout on erase. Pulling the battery lets me try again, but it only works maybe one time in 30.

I played with it a bit just trying different combinations of actions. Here's what I found that reliably works around this on the P59 ECU that I'm playing with. Unplug the battery on the car for about 30 seconds, plug it back in, attempt a write normally, wait for it to fail (between 0.5% and 7.8% for me, basically every time), then without changing anything else uncheck the "Use high speed" check box, wait 5-10 seconds, and hit write again.

Once in awhile it will then fail on a bootloader timeout, but waiting a couple of seconds and hitting write again after that has worked 100% of the time.

If you hit the controller unlocker timeout, pull battery terminal, try again.

Dunno if that will work for everyone, but it's worth putting out there in case it helps anyone else.

Tuner in Training
    MPVI1 or MPVI2?

I've noticed this "quirk" with Hp TUners software as well. Most noticeably on vehicles that have had after-market radios installed. I don't understand the correlation but here is what I've done to work around it.. Find the fuse for the radio.. Pull it out completely. Then try a high speed write.. If the high speed write fails, next try a low speed write. In this manner I've been able to work around this HPT weirdness. Maybe it will work for you.

Tuner in Training
    Don't know if this is related to your problem, but if you try to write the pcm with the vehicle still connected to the scanner it'll mess up every time for me. Freaks me out every time I do that then I remember oh ya.