Thread: Looking for opinions on a segment swap

Tuner in Training

Question Looking for opinions on a segment swap

Hey Guys looking for some opinions on which way to go. I have a 2002 Silverado 5.3l 4l60E truck. I have installed a 76mm Bullseye turbo. I swapped over to the 3bar OS. I am currently in the process of dialing in the VE table and lost the transmission last night. Kinda figured this would happen but hoped it would last a little while lol.

My questions are this. In my research I have seen some horror stories about segment swaps not working properly. So Would it be smarter to just go to an 02 truck operating system that offers the 6.0L 4L80E from the factory then change over the displacement and a few other tables to run the 5.3L or just do the segment swap. I'm a little nervous about the swap because of horror stories of troubles after going to the 3 Bar operating system.

Any help would be appreciated. Just a side note I would also like to go flex fuel at some point so would it make sense to ditch the P01 and go to the P59 now to run a G-van base file so that I can have the flex fuel and 3 bar?

Thanks in advance

I'll try to answer this in three parts.

If you wanted to switch to a 4L80 transmission with the segment swap on this computer and file, you will have to revert back to your stock file. Then with that stock file you will perform the segment swap. From this point you can then apply the 3 bar OS back to this file and copy over your data that you already changed for the turbo. Write entire that file and now you have a 3 bar OS with 4L80e.

Yes, you could flash the computer with a different operating system but it will costs you credits. Ideally you'd do this flash with a GM tool and then read the computer with HP Tuners and license that new file. But I don't think the 6.0/4L80e 2500/3500 truck file has flex fuel.

The 2002 Tahoe and I think Suburban P01 computers can run flex fuel though but you may be limited to a 2 bar OS only. You'd want to double check that. Again that will cost you more credits because of what you are doing.

Or swapping to a newer computer is possible but you will have to rewire a lot of stuff to make things in your P01 truck work on a P59 computer/operating system.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    First off thanks for the reply 5FDP. Do you not have to license the compare file to do the segment swap?

Oh and from what I have seen you are correct the tahoe suburban OS only offer a 2 Bar os

No, the compare file never has to be licensed. You are just copying information from it.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    So you don't have to save the file? I guess I need to look deeper into this

Changes are only being made to your stock file for the segment swap. The file with the 4L80e segment you want is only used to copy the segment from, there is no saving or changing information on the compare file.

Open your stock file, open the 4L80e tune with the compare feature. If both have the same matching OS the segment swapper will function. It does the transfer of segments and you save your stock file under a new name.

Tuner in Training
    Awesome thanks a bunch for the information. Still pretty green with this setup. Appreciate all the help.