Thread: Engine will not turn over / start after tune

Engine will not turn over / start after tune

Disconnected the battery and flashed the pcm. Car will not even turn over. 2009 Challenger.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Party340 View Post
    Disconnected the battery and flashed the pcm. Car will not even turn over. 2009 Challenger.
    The older challengers had a recall on the WIN module (I think it affected 2009-2011). A lot of guys on the challenger forum have had issues with pre-2015 models where the car would have starting issues (won't turn over, fobs intermittently work...etc) after either disconnecting the battery or charging a dead battery. If you battery is good (BTW there was a recall on alternators which would have leaky diodes) then it could be the WIN module needs to be reflashed.

Thanks. I also noticed that the horn doesn?t work either.

Replaced the WIM. No dice. Ran a jumper to the starter and it turns over. Any other ideas?

Advanced Tuner
    Are you saying you flashed it with the battery disconnected?
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Advanced Tuner
    Well if the WIN was replaced and flashed for the vehicle and it still does not engaging the starter then maybe an issue with P/N switch but that should throw an error. Wonder if the push to start button is bad? Have you tried starting it with remote start or inserting the fob as a key? How old is the battery?

CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSE CORRECTION
    STARTER FAILS TO OPERATE 1. Battery discharged or faulty. 1. Refer to Battery. CHARGE or REPLACE the battery if required.
    2. Starting circuit wiring faulty. 2. Refer to the wiring information. Test and repair the starter feed and/or control circuits, if required.
    3. Starter relay faulty. 3. The starter relay is located within the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM).
    4. WIN faulty. 4. Replace the WIN module if required.
    6. Park/Neutral position switch faulty or misadjusted. 6. Refer to Transmission section to REPLACE the park/neutral position switch if required.
    7. Clutch Interlock Switch Test the operation of the clutch interlock switch refer to (CHECKING THE CLUTCH INTERLOCK SWITCH OPERATION)
    8. Starter solenoid faulty. 8. REPLACE the starter motor assembly if required.
    9. Starter motor faulty. 9. If all other starting system components and circuits test OK, to REPLACE the starter motor.
    Last edited by Homer; 04-30-2020 at 08:41 AM.

Potential Tuner
    I was wondering about the flashing with no battery myself

Advanced Tuner
    I can see flashing and then power is lost causing problems but would HP tuners even recognize a PCM that is not powered up? I guess I would plug the battery in and then try to re-flash.

Found the issue. Loose wire to the TIPM (the big red one) and a supposed pre programmed WIN module that I bought online tied to my vin. Tightened the wire and the horn worked but still would not turn over. Reinstalled the old factory WIN and it fired right up. Thanks everyone.