Thread: After tune-No start-Auto but says press clutch

Potential Tuner

After tune-No start-Auto but says press clutch

Not my first tune on this truck (2018 Ram 2500). After installing new gears F/R and Long tube headers I loaded the new tune and was prompted to press the clutch+button to start. So when I swap the OEM PCM in it still says press clutch+button but after a short time(<60-90 secs) it changes to brake+button and the truck starts and drives normal. When I put the unlocked PCM in, it initially says press brake+button but doesn't start and quickly goes to clutch+button. I've reloaded a few different tunes that I've been sent and all behave the same. Any ideas? Thanks.

Advanced Tuner
    What is the trans set to in the PCMs? When I was playing with BCM configuration using alfaOBD, I noticed there are setting to change how startup happens...for example tip start (press brake and push release button) or you can have it where you have to hold the button.

Potential Tuner
    I'll be honest.....I'm not that experienced beyond plugging in the cable and uploading the file. I've checked with the tuner and he's reassured me nothing was changed with the trans. I even loaded a past tune of his that I was running and it's not working.

Senior Tuner
    Do a Write Entire. I have had them hang like this before.

Potential Tuner
    I've been loading each time as a Write entire. It's weird how after the ECMs swap, the message displayed hangs for a minute then switches from either Brake or Clutch. Is it possible I'm doing something wrong during the write procedure? I have noticed an error message that comes up saying something along the lines of the PCM is unresponsive or may not be compatible but it allows me to click OK and proceed. The process completes and usual and say write complete.

Advanced Tuner
    What is strange is that hold brake/clutch on start up. There was a member on the CT forum that had his engine cradle replaced on his charger and the "press brake to start" disappeared. There is no prompt and he has to hold the start button to crank the engine. This is where alfaOBD comes in handy as you can read the BCM to see its configuration. BTW, do you have any other OBD devices plugged in while you write tunes? Also check the PCM connections for any bent pins.

Potential Tuner
    I?ll check for broken/bent pins but I?ve swapped old/new ECMs twice now and each time the old/oem ECM works. Strange...

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have access to the tune? I wonder if the P/N over CAN bus is disabled. On manual trans cars it is but on autos it is enabled. On my manual trans challenger I was working with a tuner (was using Diablo at the time) and first couple of tunes I could not go over 4000 rpm. I asked if it was possible that the calibration was set up for a auto and was told it is not possible as they are completely different. Well it was the P/N rpm table that was set-up like an auto that was the culprit. Tuner never admitted it but I loaded and read all the tunes and discovered that was the problem that took him several days to figure out.

Tuner in Training
    Could this work on older trucks? I have an 08 ram that I'm having some major issues after the latest software update.

Potential Tuner
    I?ve tried reloading the last tube I had on the truck, did the Write entire, still the same issue so it?s something besides the tune

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by abuckley View Post
    I?ve tried reloading the last tube I had on the truck, did the Write entire, still the same issue so it?s something besides the tune
    Have you compared the stock to modified tune to see what has changed or is the tune locked?

Potential Tuner
    I have not. I?m not sure it it?s locked or not. I have tried loading my original read of this ECM once I received it from HP and it?s still the same issue. I?m leaning towards the ECM being F?d. Hopefully it?s just a bent pin and I don?t have to send it in

Potential Tuner
    Nope. Not a bent pin. Put the stock ECM back in and everything works....except a tune🤷🏼*♂️

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah without the stock and modified tune hard to diagnose further apart from what the tuner says.

Why not have the original PCM unlocked an use it to run the modified tune?

If you are saving the stock PCM thinking you can swap it so you can still get warranty work...there are ways for dealerships to find out if the vehicle has been run on an aftermarket tune (i.e. mileage discrepancy across modules, some modules flag and store that an aftermaket tune was used despite the stock PCM being re-installed).

Look to see if manual transmission is enabled.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ