Thread: Dakota Whipple issues

Tuner in Training

Dakota Whipple issues

I feel that I preface this with the fact that I am not new to HP Tuners, But I know nothing about tuning Dodge vehicles.
    I have tuned serval LS vehicles, but after considerable reading I'll say most of my experience counts for squat and I'm pretty much a newbie here.
    A friend of mine recently purchased a 2012 Dakota 5.7 with a Whipple SC already installed. Within a day the car was in a shop down 2 cylinders with burnt valves. The repairs have been completed and closest tuner that works on dodges is over 200 miles away and several months out on availability. He's obviously wanting to make sure that the tune is safe (I'm guessing not). I don't know that I'm going to jump off of the deep end and try to tune this, more just see if it's safe to drive if they stay out of the boost region. I know that I'm might be dealing with dodges Neural Network as well as other differences between platforms. I don't think that this vehicle has an extra o2 bung for my wideband. So is there a trick to datalog this with my wide band without an extra bung. With the GM stuff that I've been working with I can pull one stock sensor to check PE fueling. I don't know if that will work here, or just have him add another o2 bung. (He is a welder). I do have MPVI pro interface, so I assume that I can data log, and even upload the tune file (for posting) without purchase of Dodge credits?
    Thanks,

Tuner in Training
    Since this is a 2012 5.7 will it have dodges Neural Network? With social distancing in full swing where I live, I have not touched the car yet.

Advanced Tuner
    Dodge never made a 2012 Dakota with a 5.7.

Dakotas were discontinued in 2011 and never came with a 5.7 from the factory.

Post the current tune. We'll be able to see WTF you're working on from that.
    Last edited by spoolboy; 04-28-2020 at 03:59 PM.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Tuner in Training
    My bad. It's a Durango Citadel. I had access to the car yesterday for a little bit so I have the tune file and one datalog. There are more mods to the car than I originally thought. It does have long tube headers and some sort of aftermarket throttle body. I did advise that the owner to get it dyno tuned asap. I did get a short data log using channels that I already had set up for logging GM LS stuff. The primary o2 sensor channels did bring in data, but not the 0 to 1 volt values that I am used to seeing. Do I need to create new o2 channels specifically for mopars? The 3 volt readings on the o2's along with the ultra lean readings from my wideband left me scratching my head. The car did have a wideband and small digital display on the dash. (it did seem to agree with my wideband)It is possible my wideband has failed. I am going to try to get it hooked up to something else as soon as I can and see verify operation. The car does start and drive good with any codes.
    Thanks.

20200430_002.hpl
    20200430_1st read.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    There's a 2014 5.7 Durango file in the repository. Do a compare. Noticed some weird VVT stuff.....

Looks like it was possibly dyno tuned - NN is off and VE appears to have been filled in. The wide swings in fuel trim aren't a good sign.

Good luck!
    Last edited by spoolboy; 05-01-2020 at 10:15 AM.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.