Thread: How to identify knock

How to identify knock

Hey guys I ended up buying the LaSota Racing Ultimate Ford Tuning Guide and started learning a lot more about tuning my MAF. Still trying to get WOT dialed in but I keep ending up too rich (0.75 lambda) or too lean (0.92 lambda). Usually starts going rich as soon as OL kicks on. I have stoich set to 14.08 and my base fuel table commands 1 lambda and transitions into 0.85 and 0.86 and the upper RPMs. I always end up in the middle ground no matter how hard I try to follow the dudes correction factor formula. Not really sure what I'm doing wrong as I followed his tips. Its been a pain in the ass dialing my maf curve in ever since I put these headers on, and the JLT intake didn't help at all because even though I thought I found the right transfer function it seems like it was on the rich side.

Another thing, I started getting a "knock" sound when I get on the throttle too hard. Kinda off and on. I'm kind of 50/50 on it though. It does and doesn't sound motor related if that makes any sense. I am not familiar at all with knock unless its coming from a motor that is obviously damaged. My car runs fine, nothing out of the ordinary and my knock retard PID has never shown any spark being retarded from knock. Just want to know if there is any sure fire way I can identify knock. I haven't messed with spark settings or anything, besides retarding the global spark to -2 while tuning my MAF. Any tips would be awesome
    Last edited by jakesmithpbr; 04-28-2020 at 10:45 PM.

I am aasuming you mean pinging/detonation. Which sounds like small marbles in a tin can.

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceNA View Post
    I am aasuming you mean pinging/detonation. Which sounds like small marbles in a tin can.
    Yep detonation. Is it a consistent noise or is it really random? If I could describe the noise it's making, it literally sounds like someone knocking on the front door of a house. Pretty much a knock every half second or so lol

Low rpms, say 2000 in 6th gear, the more throttle you give it, the more you hear it.

I would double check your Max Knock Retard Limit. I've heard of people changing this to 0 degrees... scary

KR Limit.PNG

Quote Originally Posted by JuiceNA View Post
    Low rpms, say 2000 in 6th gear, the more throttle you give it, the more you hear it.
    yeah i hear it when i give it 1/2-3/4 throttle even, pretty much as soon as I go into OL
    Last edited by jakesmithpbr; 04-30-2020 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JFiorito View Post
    I would double check your Max Knock Retard Limit. I've heard of people changing this to 0 degrees... scary

KR Limit.PNG
    Mine is -8 all the way to 4k RPM and then goes to -3. I'm gonna double em
    Last edited by jakesmithpbr; 04-30-2020 at 08:12 PM.

Also should I change my spark plugs or take a look at em? The only major things I've done to my tune is change the MAF table. This noise was NOT a problem before I installed the JLT intake.

Yea, detonation is not constant. Higher loads cause deto.
    If you had no detonation before the intake install, it is not a timing issue. (If the only change was a CAI)

global knock retard shows up as a negative value in the scanner when it is adding timing (good). giving more authority to the KR system to pull timing when the car is adding doesnt seem like a real need here.

tune/log? where did you get the jlt transfer? id put the stock intake back on until you sort out the issue. what did you do about the transport delay for the lt? catless?and have you double checked the lt install for leaks and o2 sensor damage? id stop romping on it until part throttle trims and fueling get sorted.

change one thing, tune/tweak then change another. too easy to role the error into the wrong area unless you are meaning too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim5.0 View Post
    global knock retard shows up as a negative value in the scanner when it is adding timing (good). giving more authority to the KR system to pull timing when the car is adding doesnt seem like a real need here.

tune/log? where did you get the jlt transfer? id put the stock intake back on until you sort out the issue. what did you do about the transport delay for the lt? catless?and have you double checked the lt install for leaks and o2 sensor damage? id stop romping on it until part throttle trims and fueling get sorted.

change one thing, tune/tweak then change another. too easy to role the error into the wrong area unless you are meaning too.
    I ended up getting my MAF dialed in and it stopped making the noise. Runs really good now. 12.5 afr

Tuner in Training
    If this isn't the spot for this I can make a new post. I have a tune that came with a car where the advance and retard are set to 0. Car runs great already had it on the dyno. I'm logging spark source and knock sensor voltage. Since there's nothing to log when it adds or removes right now what's another strategy to try and log and see if it's seeing knock. One sensor hits 1200 and the other 1400 which i'm assuming or millivolts?