Thread: PO4 Flashing

Tuner in Training

PO4 Flashing

I have a tune for a 04 Impala 3.8 Supercharged that I'm using for my base tune. Can I flash it to any P04 PCM or does it have to be the same part number as the tune. I have a bunch of pcm's from earlier impala, Bonnie's, Montana, and Venture.
    I will be putting the pcm in my 01 Venture. The little testing I've done the 02 Monte PCM I have works in the Venture, Basically just need one that does class 2 data for gauges
    Attached Images Attached Images

There is a quick way of importing all the changes from one ECM to another. It's called a Template Applicator.

Here is a quick video explaining on how to use it.

It's a amazing feature that saves tons of time in cases exactly like yours and if tuning lots of the same cars with similar mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pOYPAVfZZw&t=101s

Tuner in Training
    It's just one pcm i'm tuning, but can I use any p04 pcm or does it have to be a impala\monte pcm since I will be doing a full write

Sorry I misunderstood your question.

Just make sure in the tune under "System" (between "Fuel sys" and "speedo")/ General... the Vats control is set pm PWM and not Serial.

Also disable VATS related DTC's, P1626, P1629, P1630, P1631 to "No Error Reported"

Potential Tuner
    im kind of in the same boat.....im swapping an L67 into a 2002 oldsmobile silhouette and not sure on what to do about the pcm. is there a way i can use the stock olds 3.4 pcm to run the 3.8? when i pull my 3.4 and a 2002 regal gs l67 tune up on my hp tuners i dont see any firing orders or crank signals so i dont know if i could just use the comparison log to change all settings over or is there more involved? or can i get a2002 L67 pcm put it in the van and delete the vats, or would the bcm not work? i have everything else figured out except the pcm. ive done a few swaps, but only been tuning on LS engines and have never got into using a certain pcm to run a completely engine. any help would be great.

Tuner in Training
    I used a pcm from a 04 Impala SS, and worked fine

Potential Tuner
    So you used a 04 impala ss pcm in the 01 venture with the l67 and everything works? I thought the 03 and up transmissions used different electronics. I bought a 4t65e hd from a 99 regal gs. Did you delete the VATS in the new pcm? Is the bcm working as it should? Sorry for all the questions but this is the last piece of my puzzle and dont want to waste a bunch of money on credits and still not get it working.

Tuner in Training
    Yea, trans shifts and acts fine, van is dailyed 200 miles, vats was disabled, bcm in these vans are very basic and really don't care about the pcm, as far as I can tell from the service manual the bcm doesn't talk to the pcm

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by grandamle91 View Post
    Yea, trans shifts and acts fine, van is dailyed 200 miles, vats was disabled, bcm in these vans are very basic and really don't care about the pcm, as far as I can tell from the service manual the bcm doesn't talk to the pcm
    Thanks for the info, I'll try that route first. I haven't started the install yet it seems to be a fairly simple swap....I've done a few LS swaps but nothing that had a bcm involved, that's why I'm asking so many questions.I just got all the pieces gathered that I'll need except the a/c compressor. Did you get the ac running? And if so which compressor did you use? I was looking at a lucerne compressor at the junkyard that looks like it would accept the van hoses but haven't had a chance to actually try them yet.

Tuner in Training
    For the ac the only thing I can think of doing since the vans use 2 connectors instead of one like the 3.8 cars , is to swap the van lines to the 3.8 cars, you will lose rear air unless you solder the rear to the car line.