Thread: Long tube headers on a stock 5.7 eagle...gains or loss?

Advanced Tuner

Long tube headers on a stock 5.7 eagle...gains or loss?

So I just heard some news today that putting headers on a stock 5.7 eagle will cause the engine to actually lose power even with a tune. I have seen the article in Hot Rod stating otherwise but would like to hear what you tuners have experienced?
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/bam-...emi-tti-pipes/

Chrysler did a bang up job on the exhausts on these cars. Without supporting mods all you would gain is sound. When i was stock motor with a blower years ago i went to 3" an headers and lost boost and a gob of power due to less restriction. I got it back by over spinning the blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet300 View Post
    Chrysler did a bang up job on the exhausts on these cars. Without supporting mods all you would gain is sound. When i was stock motor with a blower years ago i went to 3" an headers and lost boost and a gob of power due to less restriction. I got it back by over spinning the blower.
    I would assume the reason you lost boost was due to your ability to flow more are through the motor boost measures pressure therefore the more air flowing easily through motor with same pulley on blower would therefore show less pressure ie boost.

Yea that's it. That's why in my post i said "lost a gob of power due to less restriction" But the same applies for an na car. The stock exhausts flow well. Same goes for throttle bodys. For the most part a waste of money except for a few circumstances

Tuner
    I have a SRT and I picked up a few HP but I went with a catless mid. In retrospect i would have saved the money though ;\

Potential Tuner
    I just put stainless works 1-7/8x3" with catless mids on my stock 19' scat pack. I haven't logged after the install yet and drove it only once,but I know for sure it sounds bad-ass.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by dubbsix View Post
    I have a SRT and I picked up a few HP but I went with a catless mid. In retrospect i would have saved the money though ;\
    On an SRT I would suspect not much gain but the 5.7s come with log type manifolds.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    On an SRT I would suspect not much gain but the 5.7s come with log type manifolds.
    Mine was a gen1 5.7. Lost power when i went to headers. That being said it will definately depend on supporting mods. If you go big cam and heads then well sure it will probably impact somewhat. Mine was stock motor 11psi boost. I am at the 1000ish hp mark now with srt8 manifolds on. I do have a trick set of 1 7/8th TTI headers and full 3" exhaust hanging in my garage that i had on there.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet300 View Post
    Yea that's it. That's why in my post i said "lost a gob of power due to less restriction" But the same applies for an na car. The stock exhausts flow well. Same goes for throttle bodys. For the most part a waste of money except for a few circumstances
    Did you verify that you lost power on a dyno?
    its normal to loose psi, as you have less restriction, but it will make more power at that lower boost level because the engine is more efficient.

It was a long time ago but yes. Lost 3o to 40 HP. Made it back with a pulley change but didn't gain much more than I had before the exhaust. On my current settup I run a single 3.5" exhaust or turbo and out to a single 4" muffler.

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm, well I also read threads where guys are saying going from a 2.5" exhaust to 3" will cause you to loose power as well....but these guys show gains.

https://www.challengertalk.com/threa...r-5-7l.679991/
    AWE_Dodge_57L_Wheel_Dyno.jpg

I am going through the same problem , should i go with 1-7/8 or 1-3/4 ? Its a 5.7 with a 6.4 cam and 2.75 catback statem

I know a reputable shop that stopped its sales rep from pushing headers as an only mod on NA HEMI's because of practically unchanged dyno graphs.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 2therock View Post
    I know a reputable shop that stopped its sales rep from pushing headers as an only mod on NA HEMI's because of practically unchanged dyno graphs.
    So this is essentially what I was told second hand but I have seen before and after dyno runs showing gains...there is even 2 articles in Hot Rod magazine. How is it that going to a bigger diameter exhaust (also heard 3" is too big and you will loose power) or going from a dual exhaust to one with an x/h-pipe shows gains but not headers?

Not hard to make a dyno read gains.. especially if it will effect sales for a product. I remember a long long time ago my car made 395rwhp and we were like " Man so close to 400" all we did was went home came back to the dyno at 7am in the morning and ran it up and it made 410.. Love to say it was something i did to the car but it was just colder air and cooler fuel pumps.

so update , Richard was asked this same question not long ago and he said that the 1-7/8 showed gains all over and is better than the smaller diameter collector

Advanced Tuner
    Richard who...brother of Tom and Harry?

Richard holdner Lol forgot to write his last name

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by malikib View Post
    Richard holdner Lol forgot to write his last name
    Ah so the other hot rod article.
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gen-3-hemi-header-test/

His latest was 70HP on a 5.7 cam swap.
    https://www.hotrod.com/articles/gen-3-hemi-cam-change/

Advanced Tuner
    Richard Holdner has a pretty neat YouTube channel. He only runs the older pre-vvt 5.7s so far though.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.