Thread: Have to read before write

Tuner in Training

Have to read before write

I have a LS swapped 67 Camaro with a 411 ECU. Over the winter I did a lot of rewiring, and updates to the fuel system. Yesterday I went to tune from E85 to E100. Just 1 value change. I couldn't write to the ECU. It would display the communication message, the downloading boot loader and when it says writing 0.0% the fuel pump kicks on like the ECU is being reset. After about 15 seconds a failed message shows up. This happens over and over.

I did figure out that if I read entire the ECU I can the write to the car just fine but if I turn off the engine I have to read entire again to be able to write to it.

Please help me figure this out. Everything worked fine for 2 years now. I have downloaded 4.6 and the beta 4.7 and still same thing. I even tried a spare 0411 and it does the same thing.

Thanks in advance,
    Greg

Tuner in Training
    Update 5/2

Well today it wont write any more. I went to the race track and made one pass. I was lean so I tried to change some tables but nothing I tried would let me write.

Tuner
    Voltage issue? Ive had that happen before when I had a weak battery on customers vehicles.

Tuner in Training
    I have a fully charged 16v battery but thanks for the reply

Tuner in Training
    Ok, so I installed the 12v battery and can read and write just fine. I tried running the MPVI off 12 and the ECU off 16 and that didn't work. So what I figured out is the ECU does not like 16.7 volts. I have tried 2 different 0411 and both exhibit the same issue when powered from 16.7volts. what I did to fix this issue is to run the ecu off a alarm sized 12v battery and the rest of the car off the 16v battery. Works fine.