Thread: we need an expert in 97-04 jeep wrangler 4.0 here

Tuner in Training

Exclamation we need an expert in 97-04 jeep wrangler 4.0 here

because i street tune and don't have a dyno to help

and since the wrangler TJ 97-04 don't have knock sensors on them

how much maximum timing can we go with a bolt ons car on pump 91 or 93 ?

stock values are from 20 at 3000 rpm and rises till 24 at redline, i moved them to 23 at 3000 rpm and rises till 26.5 at redline

ARF is between 12.2 to 12.4

is what I'm doing right or should i rise them more, because one old guy in wrangler told me that you can do 30 and more on those engines

anyone can advice
    Last edited by mus3bon; 05-05-2020 at 02:11 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I’m currently running 28 with no issues, also running way leaner wot currently at 13.2.... I only run 93

Potential Tuner
    I added 5 degrees on my xj, and leaned it out. I would like to know how yours turned out.

Tuner in Training
    Subscribing

Im still just trying to figure out the nomenclature for the Dodge stuff compared to the GM stuff that I am used too

Seems like there alot of tables just not available or missing for these JTEC's ???
    current build: 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 4.6L stroker w/mild cam, competition ported Newcomer Racing head, Hardland Sharp rockers, full 3" exhaust, 62mm TB. 24# injectors etc..

LS6 swapped Porsche 944

You really need to start looking around the area for a chassis dyno of some sort. The gains from tuning AFR on something like this are going to be in the range of 5-10 whp, so you are basically shooting in the dark by relying on the "butt dyno". Timing will be slightly more most likely, but you still need to be on a dyno to really visualize those gains, and also to see what effect timing has on the entire curve. I have seen some engines like to have the same timing from 2500 rpm to redline, and others like to have a dip around peak torque and then timing ramped back in to redline.
    Owner/Tuner@Evolution Automotive Performance
    Lincoln, Ne

Tuner in Training
    mus3bon - I was just looking at your tune. Question; how com you disabled all your oxygen sensors?
    current build: 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 4.6L stroker w/mild cam, competition ported Newcomer Racing head, Hardland Sharp rockers, full 3" exhaust, 62mm TB. 24# injectors etc..

LS6 swapped Porsche 944

Tuner
    a reason to disable 02 sensor is to Run open loop or tune in open loop