Thread: LS Swap First Drive

Tuner in Training

LS Swap First Drive

First drive on a LS swap project, L77 & 6L80E.

Just looking for feedback, and positive comments. Kind of a long log but...

2014 Caprice 6.0L 5-1-2020hpl.hpl

Thanks in advance!

You've got a lot of check engine lights that would be addressed.

Fix that knock sensor code for sure. You didn't log knock retard in this log but you can tell it's pulling a ton of timing as it was running only about 9-10 degrees under a lot of load.

It says it's running lean on both banks and the fuel trims show that too. Make you have no vacuum or exhaust leaks pre-02 sensor. Make sure fuel pressure is at 58psi all the time being that this is a swap vehicle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!

Where do you see all the engine lights?

Knock senor code, driver side?

When you say running lean, due to the LTFT? How woudl i fix this?

I'm planning on taking to have a professional tune done on a dyno but want to get all the small stuff taken care of before I go.

Had the exhaust professionally done by the most reputable place around, feeling confident on that.

Vacuum leak, i can do some checking on this.

Best regards,

Click the details tab at the bottom next to the channels tab. It lists several DTC's there.

The lean issue could be because you are not running enough fuel pressure. There is a vacuum leak or an exhaust leak pre-o2 sensor. Of if you swapped other parts around. Like different injectors or you are running a different MAF sensor or MAF tubing diameter if it's a card style sensor.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Fuel pressure was logged and rock solid at 57.9 PSI the whole time, using a corvette filter/regulator!

That channel is not correct.

I can bet that you are not running the stock fuel line or the fuel pump control module in this vehicle. You need to manually check the fuel pressure.

Tuner in Training
    Fuel pressure was locked at 57.9 PSI (logged).

I used all the factory components from the donor vehicle, engine and all accessories (engine, transmission, injectors, MAF, etc. all accessories on the engine, accelerator pedal, BCM, wiring harness, etc.). I have not swapped any parts. Added a power steering pump from an earlier year vehicle since the year i got had electric steering.

I really appreciate your feedback/assistance!

Tuner in Training
    I am using the factory vehicles hard fuel lines from the fuel tank and adapted to AN in the engine compartment. Goes to corvette filter/regulator, has a fuel pressure gauge out of the filter/regulator right into the fuel rail. It reads around 60 continuously.

Fuel pressure is never a constant though, it will vary in pressure as load increases. Like if you stabbed the throttle, it downshifted and climbed 3,000rpm in the snap of the finger, those injectors would have caused the fuel pressure to drop some because they started spraying in more fuel just like that. It would take a second for pressure to recover back to normal.

A channel that stays locked at 57.9psi and never moves should be a give away that it's not what is says. If you say it's at 60psi, then that also says the channel is not working because that's a difference in 2 psi.

Tuner in Training
    The manual gauge shows around 60 PSI consistently (its not a digital read out), it is plumbed in after the filter/regulator. Then goes right into the fuel rail. I will watch it more closely next time.

I get your point about the logged pressure not being accurate since it does not change.

Much appreciative of the help!

I believe you will find that on regulated gen4 systems they always read 58psi. They assume stock values and just populated the data from a constant. There is no pressure gauge wired to the ECM. On systems with a FPCM and pulse modulated pumps there is a fuel pressure gauge wired to the ECM.
    2012 ZL1 - Maggie Heartbeat, Port & Polish Heads, Custom Cam, Custom rotating assembly, steel sleeved LS9, No NOS and No water meth. 16psi
    810rwhp and 820rwtq 91 Octane 6400 rpm
    948rwhp and 951rwtq 105 Octane 6400 rpm
    999rwhp and 997rwtq on 60% Ethanol 6400 rpm

Tuner in Training
    Guys thanks for the information and insight!

I am going to chase down the knock sensor issue first.

Then onto the lean condition. sounds like it has to be 1 of 3 things, vacuum leak, exhaust leak or fuel pressure.

Question, if there was a vacuum leak wouldn't the car idle weird or have other symptoms than just running lean?

Exhaust leak before the O2 sensors, i think this is highly unlikely (exhaust done professionally by most reputable place around).

Brings us to fuel pressure, using an in-tank Walbro pump (PN# GSS342/GSS341/GSS340) to 5/16 hard line to the engine compartment. Then adapts to AN6 into the corvette filter/regulator (fuel pressure gauge on the outlet) right into the factory fuel rail and injectors.

Tuner in Training
    OK, fixed the knock sensor (where the wires go through the exhaust manifold a wire melted)

Also found a vacuum leak on the driver side bottom of the driver side of the throttle body. Looked like a fitting for the PCV system?

Will post a new scan later!

Tuner in Training
    Here is the scan file after fixing the knock sensor and finding a vacuum leak2014 Caprice 6.0L 5-2-2020hpl.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Any feedback on the below scan would be much appreciated.

Got some good information from some knowledgeable individuals on first scan.

Was able to see somethings that needed addressed and good explanations on the subjects.

2014 Caprice 6.0L 5-2-2020hpl.hpl