Thread: VCM Scanner protocol info

Tuner in Training

VCM Scanner protocol info

HPT is being slow adding support in VCM Scanner for my vehicle to access the same PIDs that you B8 A4 guys have access to. I'm curious if I modify the protocol settings in my VCM Suite.cfg file if the scanner will be able to access all the extended PIDs that you guys can access. Can someone who has connected VCM Scanner to a B8 A4 please copy and paste their associated <Vehicle> entry from their VCM Suite.cfg for me? You can find the file in Documents\HP Tuners\Settings\VCM Suite.cfg. For example, mine (after removing my VIN) is:

Code:
    <Controller ProtocolInfo="4" ProtocolInfo.DiagnosticConnector="1" ProtocolInfo.Bus="10" OBDControllerRoute.ID="7E8" OBDControllerRoute.ControllerType="A" VIN="<removed>" OS="8J0907115BD_0010" ControllerTypeIDByOS="50018" />

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mukhery View Post
    HPT is being slow adding support in VCM Scanner for my vehicle to access the same PIDs that you B8 A4 guys have access to. I'm curious if I modify the protocol settings in my VCM Suite.cfg file if the scanner will be able to access all the extended PIDs that you guys can access. Can someone who has connected VCM Scanner to a B8 A4 please copy and paste their associated <Vehicle> entry from their VCM Suite.cfg for me? You can find the file in Documents\HP Tuners\Settings\VCM Suite.cfg. For example, mine (after removing my VIN) is:

Code:
    <Controller ProtocolInfo="4" ProtocolInfo.DiagnosticConnector="1" ProtocolInfo.Bus="10" OBDControllerRoute.ID="7E8" OBDControllerRoute.ControllerType="A" VIN="<removed>" OS="8J0907115BD_0010" ControllerTypeIDByOS="50018" />
    Post a log of your car with the available params

Tuner in Training
    Attached (20200410_injectortest.hpl). Only the standard OBD mode 1 PIDs are supported.

You can also see the supported PIDs by copying the <Vehicle> line I sent above into your VCM Suite.cfg, reloading VCM Scanner, and selecting the vehicle from the offline profiles menu. So I'm curious if I trick VCM Scanner into thinking that my car uses the same protocol as the B8 A4 if it'll find all the extended PIDs that you guys have access to. Having to use something like VCDS is for logging is pretty annoying and much slower...

Advanced Tuner
    Attached (20200410_injectortest.hpl). Only the standard OBD mode 1 PIDs are supported.

You can also see the supported PIDs by copying the <Vehicle> line I sent above into your VCM Suite.cfg, reloading VCM Scanner, and selecting the vehicle from the offline profiles menu. So I'm curious if I trick VCM Scanner into thinking that my car uses the same protocol as the B8 A4 if it'll find all the extended PIDs that you guys have access to. Having to use something like VCDS is for logging is pretty annoying and much slower...
    just be patient they will add it, do you have a stock file yet?

Tuner in Training
    I've always had a stock file...

For anyone who's interested, I did a bit more digging: It looks like the OS parameter for <Vehicle> entries in the VCM Suite.cfg file is the one that determines what parameters are visible. For example, here are the limited parameters currently available for my vehicle:
    8J0907115BD_0010_parameters.png

However, if I simply replace my OS parameter:
    Code:
    OS="8K5907115C__0007"
    Then I get all the additional parameters that the MED17.1 A4 folks have access to:
    8K5907115C__0007_parameters.png

Unfortunately, it seems you can't easily trick VCM Scanner into thinking your vehicle is running a different OS because as soon as you connect to your vehicle it scans for the OS and updates the value in the VCM Suite.cfg file accordingly. As a side note, the .upf files in the VCM Scanner\Vehicles folder seem to be used to filter unsupported parameters from the list. If you remove all the unsupported parameter lines from your .upf file then you should see all possible parameters supported by your vehicle OS. Not super useful but I thought it was interesting to see all the other parameters (e.g., even diesel engine parameters).

Advanced Tuner
    I've always had a stock file...
    Holy fuck we have a joker over here

No point doing what you’re trying to do as the ram addresses for logging are different in every binary, so if you map a different file it won’t work

Tuner
    I agree with you regarding changing a binary for tuning, but it seems what mukhery is talking about might make sense for logging?

I thought logging used manufacturer-specific OBDII codes, and it seems likely (not 100% likely I'll admit!) that VAG would use the same codes for different vehicles. If they make sense of course... you're probably not going to get much useful "bank 2 sensor data" from an inline-4.

Tuner in Training
    Well I tried emailing HPT a few times asking if they could add support for the parameters available on the MED17.1 A4 and never got anywhere over the course of about 3 weeks. After my last post, I emailed them those screenshots and said that the "8K5907115C__0007" OS has all the parameters that my "8J0907115BD_0010" should have, but that there seems to be something on their end causing only basic OBD PIDs to show up for my OS. The very next day they replied with a new version of the beta, and now just about everything available on the A4 is available on my car.

Tuner in Training
    Hi Mukhery, how is your tuning going on? I have the exact same ECU code 8J0907115BD and just started to tune mine but I have some problems with my LTFT, by any chance is your car mafless?

Code:
    I just did a little tutorial on this : https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...036#post631036

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGP View Post
    Hi Mukhery, how is your tuning going on? I have the exact same ECU code 8J0907115BD and just started to tune mine but I have some problems with my LTFT, by any chance is your car mafless?
    Going good. The car runs really nicely at the track, although it could probably use some tweaks to maintain boost in 5th gear if I want a little more top speed. Yes, my car is mafless. I posted my tune in the repository thread, but I also run larger injectors and have adjusted my injector slope accordingly. If you're running stock injectors and compression I'd suspect some sort of hardware issue, but otherwise adjusting the injector slope is probably the first place to go for dealing with LTFT issues.