Thread: 16V Battery and Alternator

Tuner in Training

16V Battery and Alternator

Anyone run a 16V battery and Alternator? I upgraded to a 16V battery and charging system over the winter and now I am having issues trying to write to the ECU. I was able to read from the ECU then write but it decided to stop writing all together. I can read from the ECU just fine. I have tried 2 0411 ECU's, 2 different Laptops, Old Tune files, Updated to 4.6 and even tried 4.7 beta. Im trying to figure out whats wrong and only thing I can think of is the change in voltage. This setup has worked for the past 2 years.

Key On Engine Off I get 16.72 Volts

Thanks in advance.
    Greg

The voltage standard on these vehicles is 13.8 VDC, not 16.72. There are upper voltage limits to electronic components and perhaps you have found that limit.

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Tuner in Training
    I understand that 16 is more than 12. My issue is that a read entire requires both transmit and receive functions to work properly for 2 minutes or more. A write calibration only requires transmit and receive functions to work for 30 seconds or a minute. Both functions have to work in order to read or write to a ECU.

Tuner
    Try with a normal 12.5V batt to discard voltage relates issue.

why didn't you use a voltage regulator to prevent voltage from going over 14v to the ecu

Or why not do your PCM update work using a bench harness with a well regulated, 13.8 VDC power supply?

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.