Thread: great idle in park cant get it right in drive to save my life

Potential Tuner

great idle in park cant get it right in drive to save my life

hi folks, new here been messing with this for about 2 weeks now and just cant get my idle in drive to be smooth. I got the idle in park pretty decent just not sure what I am missing. it just surges real bad in drive. ill try and post the log of the idle and you can see when I put it in drive it just dives right to like 400-500 rpm and timing is running back and fourth from single digit to 20's any pointers would be great. ive read a bunch of posts on idle tuning and cant seem to figure the issue out. thanks in advance!!idle in drive no good.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    tune file?
    1997 30th SS. Torqhead 24x, TFS heads, 223/235 cam, 4l80e, S60 D1SC 14psi

Potential Tuner
    this is my current tune. don't be fooled with the name ive taken my ve table up and down trying to get it right. the 400 800 and 1200 rpm ve tables are way down now stage 2 cam ve up 60 maf disabled adapt air flow off.hpt

This computer doesn't use the primary VE table when in speed density, just so you know. It uses the secondary VE table only unless you apply the speed density enhanced OS upgrade.

Don't be surprised if you run of out fuel injector later on too. 21-22lb injectors are really tiny.

A wideband in the logs would make tuning the fueling way easier.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I did not know that. So what ever changes I'm making I should apply to both tables.i just ordered a wideband I'll get that in there this week and revisit it then

Potential Tuner
    so I got my wideband installed but I don't have the parts to wire it into my hp tuners yet. I have a steady 12.5-13 at idle in park ad when I go to drive it goes right up to 19 20 so its super lean in drive. so at least now I'm able to make changes based on watching my air fuel. idk why I didn't buy one when I bought the hp kit in the first place

Look into running your wideband output to the input through the AC pressure sensor input. Then you can monitor that sensor in your scanner to get your wideband logged.

Potential Tuner
    alright Ive tried to make changes I don't have my wide band to log into my computer yet but when I go into drive I have a surge that's pretty bad. ill post the log. I also have no power in drive I can hold the brake in drive and its like I'm on a 2 step
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    alright new question got my throttle response back by working on my ve table. I have some really crazy spark jumping going on in drive only and my iac goes way up. in park spark jumps around a little bit but nothing crazy ans the iac is very low. I have chacked out all the spark tables and cant find what wuld make it jump around I'm at the point were I just set them so I know it would be a steadt 24* but still nothing
    Attached Files Attached Files

Potential Tuner
    I was just reading on here the sticky if I have to set the maf to no error reported so it's not in use for any calculation at all. I have ot set to set on 2nd fail

Advanced Tuner
    No you want to set your P0101-P0103 to First Error if going to fail the MAF for VE tuning. The MAF is not why you are dropping rpm in gear. Set the Idle>>stall saver the same in gear rpm as your P/N rpm.

Can you explain to me how the Idle> Adaptive idle works? A representation of proportional - integral - derivative (PID) control and how it is used for Idling? What does Integral do in the control of idle? How do you determine how much to adjust the Airflow vs rpmDelta - high in gear ac off for instance? Can you help me set up a histogram or log how much it is off so I know how much to adjust it like you did? How does the proportional airflow vs rpm delta - high in gear ac off work? I need to set up that Scan too so I know how much to adjust it.