Thread: A new (to me) trick to get OEM driveability with aftermarket PD blower

A new (to me) trick to get OEM driveability with aftermarket PD blower

Been fighting to get reasonable progressive throttle control and driveability with my 2014 A6 Mustang 5.0 with edelbrock track blower kit (stock throttle body). I am not an experienced tuner on this platform so I tried the usual mapping and been playing around with torque mapping, driver demand, etc. Worked on it for a year and had no problem making power and some improvement, but was always chasing some surging at part throttle and non linear throttle pedal.

Looking at OEMs they generally use a control solenoid between vacuum source and the blower bypass valve. I found that my car drove like stock with the bypass valve on the blower open. So I played with check valve and bleeds for awhile but it was always throttle response or driveability, never both.

Some creative use of a progressive nitrous controller, a small vacuum tank and a turbocharger wastegate control solenoid was the answer. Instant response when I mash the gas, progressive boost starting at 50% TPS (or whatever I set it too).

Drives like a stock gt500. Love it.

I also used the second stage of the NOS controller to run vacuum operated exhaust cutouts on my quad tip exhaust (my own version of active exhaust).
    Last edited by Zapo; 05-04-2020 at 12:32 AM.

Very creative!

I had dreamed about building an electric motor controller for the bypass valve, as I struggled with the same thing.

But, I finally broke through and was able to achieve stock or better throttle response, through the transition into boost, just through changes to the tune. It took a ton of work, and development of the most complex excel table calculators I have ever built.

very nice, bypass is often a problem.

Advanced Tuner
    I've ran in to this problem as well most notably on 03/04 cobras. There are low vac bypass valves you can use to fix this issue. Instead of cracking at 10 inches of vac they crack at 3.
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

Good thinking.

Advanced Tuner
    Doesn't the Hellcat use a dbw throttle body for their bypass? I think they control it in the ecu, so they can bring it on any way they like, at any time, smooth & easy, or super aggressive.
    But, yes, the bypass is a nuisance in street driving, hardly an easy way to make it smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by MRRPMBRP View Post
    Doesn't the Hellcat use a dbw throttle body for their bypass? I think they control it in the ecu, so they can bring it on any way they like, at any time, smooth & easy, or super aggressive.
    But, yes, the bypass is a nuisance in street driving, hardly an easy way to make it smooth.
    Hellcat/Demon has actual electronic by-pass:
    demon-bypass.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Hellcat/Demon has actual electronic by-pass:
    demon-bypass.jpg
    Yes, it's actually a dbw throttle body used for a bypass, good idea actually