Thread: Opinions wanted on my tune, 18 2SS 1LE on E85

Tuner

Opinions wanted on my tune, 18 2SS 1LE on E85

Just wanted to see what some of you more seasoned tuners think about my tune if it's not too much to ask for . 2018 2SS 1LE with just a Rotofab and SMG flex kit at the moment, AEM wideband pre-cat in bank 2. Putting on CA performance test pipes pretty soon. I attached a log and the tune in the car now. I have not touched VVE at all, and made very minor MAF adjustments to fix a rich area around 5k rpm or so, and disabled the alcohol SOI modifier, haven't noticed any negative effects. Mostly wanting to know if my timing curve looks okay, i.e. maybe I can give it more in the mid range RPM, or if you think its too high up top, and if my SOI looks good. Never see any knock other than the occasional 1.2 in 1 cylinder on a downshift for some reason. Thanks for any constructive input flex.hpt5-4-pm.hpl
    Last edited by ShaneB; 05-04-2020 at 06:19 PM.

Tuner
    Bump. Even 1 person??

Advanced Tuner
    I don't have the experience a lot do on here and I don't have a dyno or good equipment to experiment with. With a stock combustion system I don't think there is anything to gain running timing any higher than stock, as long as you don't have knock retard and are 100% referencing the high octane table. Through my experimentations on my LT1 I saw zero gains modifying anything from stock on the tune I was using virtual dyno which yes you could bash it, but between runs I saw good consistency. I was also able to document a 20-25 rwhp gain from E10 to E70. I know thats not what you want to hear, but the factory tune is now that good I think. Its more about not letting burst knock and other knock retard kick in and keeping the ECM from pulling timing or throttle for torque reduction purposes.

As far as the alcohol modifiers nothing you will see in the stock calibrations ever looks visually appealing and sometimes just dosen't make sense at all. The only thing we can speculate is that its either done for emissions or component longevity. They run these things in test labs literally at WOT for months straight so that random spike at 60 degrees in the alcohol offset table may have just been at that particular cell they had to advance it that much because after 3 months of WOT at that RPM and airmass they saw a failure and had to advance the SOI.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    Just wanted to see what some of you more seasoned tuners think about my tune if it's not too much to ask for . 2018 2SS 1LE with just a Rotofab and SMG flex kit at the moment, AEM wideband pre-cat in bank 2. Putting on CA performance test pipes pretty soon. I attached a log and the tune in the car now. I have not touched VVE at all, and made very minor MAF adjustments to fix a rich area around 5k rpm or so, and disabled the alcohol SOI modifier, haven't noticed any negative effects. Mostly wanting to know if my timing curve looks okay, i.e. maybe I can give it more in the mid range RPM, or if you think its too high up top, and if my SOI looks good. Never see any knock other than the occasional 1.2 in 1 cylinder on a downshift for some reason. Thanks for any constructive input flex.hpt5-4-pm.hpl
    What fuel are you running? 27-28 deg. at WOT to 6500 RPM nice. It's showing about 402 HP/TQ at 5252 RPMs. Acceleration rate of 8 mph/ sec from 68 mph- 99 pulling nicely.
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 05-12-2020 at 01:21 PM. Reason: blind dog

Advanced Tuner
    Add Engine Peak, Max, Commanded, & Actual torque. Add Actual, Driver, & Commanded AXLE torque in Channels but weed out some of the PIDs. HPT should only have 25 to maintain the fastest response of polling interval. Right click on a channel and see if the interval rate is what you expect. Showing 80% alcohol in tank. When you slowed down to about 65 mph in log, and punched it, it looks like the Torque rose got limited and kept steady around 400 lb-ft +/- 15 lb-ft torque. Need those Channels to know what tables may need attention. Get the MAF calibration dialed in first.
    Last edited by Hondaeater; 05-13-2020 at 03:13 AM. Reason: reason for channels

Tuner in Training
    My timing is advanced and then the flex fuel tables are also adjusted. I had my car on the dyno over base and E85 and it made 34 rwhp more. There are still some adjustments I?d like to make once I get my Wide Band in. Said it?s on back order. But the drivability is great and it pulls strong.

Tuner in Training Southwest Speed's Avatar
    Start off by logging some of the super basic things needed on a Gen 5 platform.

Delivered Engine Tq, Calculated Engine Load, TM advance, Commanded vs Actual TB, Spark, and of course AFR.

Once you can see these, you can see what the car is doing and more accurately manage your Virtual Torque Tables.

Good luck and keep asking questions.
    Southwest Speed LLC
    5116 Industrial Park Loop NE
    Rio Rancho, NM 87124
    505-554-9898
    https://www.facebook.com/southwestspeed/

http://www.southwestspeed.net