Thread: mpvi2 not detected by usb, flashing lights on mpvi2, after a while it finally connect

Tuner

mpvi2 not detected by usb, flashing lights on mpvi2, after a while it finally connect

It started soon after upgrading to MPVI2. I would plug it in to OBD2 port and get nothing, no lights, no nothing, or sometimes the lights would flash every few seconds, sequentially from BT, HOST OBD to PWR, real fast, and repeat every few seconds. After about 1 or 2 minutes of doing this, the green PWR light would come on, and usb would finally detect and everything would work. It did this to me on a few vehicles, and on my bench harness.

I contact HP Tuners, pretty much no other questions asked after telling them this they replaced my MVPI2, the process was pretty quick, expressed it to them, they expressed it back. No explanation of what was wrong, and no reply to my email asking what was wrong with it.

Not long after I started getting same issues again on the replacement MPVI2. This time I was thinking no way two with similar issues. I changed which USB port on laptop I used, new cable, but yet, still have the same issue, or similar. Now the lights will blink sequentially from BT to PWR but very fast, 3 times a second like a strobe. Let it do this for a few minutes, and finally the PWR light comes on solid and usb hooks up. Yesterday I read 3 vehicles, added credits, and synced, and went to write, and hp tuners had lost communication with the mpvi2, looked at the obd2 port and it had started flashing the lights right after the sync. After 1 or 2 minutes, light was solid green again and the vehicle flashed fine.

here is what the first mpvi2 did: https://youtu.be/eYDV7vLzoeI

and here is what the second mpvi2 is doing: https://youtu.be/Ea_w_4xtq8s

Tuner
    now on 3rd mpvi2. HPTuners will not tell me what happened or offer any explanation of why two units have failed. My emails to support go unanswered when I ask. The MPVI2s temporarily loose usb connectivity while lights flash on the mpvi2. 1-2 minutes later they start working again. All started after firmware update associated with 4.4.4. Bought original MPVI2 Aug 2019, first replacement Feb2020, and again May2020.

Noone else had any issues like this?

Tuner
    now on my 4th mpvi2 and it has started acting up as well. Identical issues as prior. First issue in 6 months with this MPVI went like this. I read & programmed a 2009 F150 which I have a MY license for, no issues. 5 minutes later I read a 2007 Expedition, no issues, while it was reading, I purchased 2 additional credits. After reading I made changes to the tune, saved, went to "resync interface" that process went normal and showed the added credits and at that moment the lights started flashing on the MPVI2 and it would not connect to program. "interface not found or not responding" Eventually after 2 or 3 minutes of unplugging , plugging back in, messing with it, the green light come on solid and it connected, programmed as usual with no issues. 4 days later, i connect to another F150 and the lights start blinking immediately when plugging into obd2 port (before usb even hooked up) and laptop would not find the device until the green light went solid after a few minutes, then it proceeded to work normally.

3rd mpvi2 messing Up: https://youtu.be/ebQvCIIHLRk
    4th mpvi2 messing up: https://youtu.be/15NVZ8BAII0

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by busta9876 View Post
    now on my 4th mpvi2 and it has started acting up as well. Identical issues as prior. First issue in 6 months with this MPVI went like this. I read & programmed a 2009 F150 which I have a MY license for, no issues. 5 minutes later I read a 2007 Expedition, no issues, while it was reading, I purchased 2 additional credits. After reading I made changes to the tune, saved, went to "resync interface" that process went normal and showed the added credits and at that moment the lights started flashing on the MPVI2 and it would not connect to program. "interface not found or not responding" Eventually after 2 or 3 minutes of unplugging , plugging back in, messing with it, the green light come on solid and it connected, programmed as usual with no issues. 4 days later, i connect to another F150 and the lights start blinking immediately when plugging into obd2 port (before usb even hooked up) and laptop would not find the device until the green light went solid after a few minutes, then it proceeded to work normally.

3rd mpvi2 messing Up: https://youtu.be/ebQvCIIHLRk
    4th mpvi2 messing up: https://youtu.be/15NVZ8BAII0

I just wanted to say I've seen this behavior myself..

A friend gave me his MPVI2 and new laptop he bought for it to fix because it wouldn't work with the usb cable. I fixed it very quickly, it just needed a driver. Anyways since I have an MPVI1 I thought it would be cool to check the MPVI2 out on my 2014 Mustang GT. I plugged it in and it did the exact same thing as your video immediately after plugging in without the USB cable... all LEDs were flashing very quickly just like that. Since he did have it paired already to bluetooth I pressed the BT button on the MPVI2 and it stopped and I was able to connect it to the scanner over bluetooth. The other method to get it to 'not blink' was to start out with usb cable plugged in between MPVI2 and the laptop, then unplug the usb cable and let it switch to bluetooth.. So try those two things. It's definitely extra steps though and seems like a bug! One other problem I had was over bluetooth it kept trying to do a firmware flash to the MPVI2 and would progress all the way through, reboot the interface, then wait for it to reconnect. It wouldn't, even with me pressing the BT button so it kept failing the update! Over the USB though it never once tried to update firmware so it's definitely really buggy for some vehicles!

Now what's strange is when I brought him the MPVI2/Laptop back, I plugged it right up to his 2006 6.0 Diesel Ford, it did not blink and I was able to connect to the scanner w/o BT button press or usb cable. I also tested with USB cable because that was his original problem and it worked great. It also didn't try to do any firmware updates over usb or bluetooth, it was only with my car. Also notice over bluetooth the VCM Editor does not work, only on Scanner. I'm assuming this is a limitation right now until they develop it further.

Please report back if the above solutions work for you, hope this helps! Also if you contacted support please tell me what to say. When I eventually replace my MPVI1, I'd sure like to know if it' will be a problem for my car or not... I'm hesitant to buy the MPVI2 any time soon knowing that it doesn't work perfectly on my car. I had also started the car to be sure it wasn't a battery voltage issue but it was a new battery and fully charged anyways (I keep it topped up).
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results