Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ford Diesel Logging Update

Tuner
    Nope, no update.
    I do need to check the latest beta (4.7.618) to see if it has anything new. Do Release Notes get published for each beta?. I've only found adhoc doco for a few releases.
    Ian B
    '15 Holden VF SSVR L77(gone), '19 Ford Ranger PX3 3.2TD, '22 Toyota GDJ150

Tuner
    Still not found in 4.7.685.....
    This is an issue that will start to make me cranky.
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by VFL77 View Post
    Still not found in 4.7.685.....
    This is an issue that will start to make me cranky.
    im already cranky but not like these guys care as there are not really too many options in this price range for tuning and they could be making more money working on support for other ecu's. thats how the world works these days right????

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by h41ry View Post
    ... and they could be making more money working on support for other ecu's...
    That's one of the issues I have. I think spending time on the SID208/209 by HPT is a good investment because there's a large car population already, and they'll be coming off warranty for the next 7 years, encouraging changes to the car. I'm not asking for a new feature, I just want what was advertised...
    Ian B

Submit issues and requests through support.. HP staff rarely check this forum section.
    2008 J2 F-350 CCSB

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PSM 6.4 View Post
    Submit issues and requests through support.
    I have.
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    I have.
    any updates mate

Tuner
    any updates mate
    Actually yes, just in the last week.
    The latest beta I have (4.9.30) includes the extra channels. However, it has highlighted that the MAP parameter (for want of a better description) is needed to complete the picture. There are 5x (shown) MAPs that all MODE and CONFIG tables live within and it is unclear what the criteria is as to which is the active MAP. Another case will need to be logged... but at least we've reduced the possible number of active tables quite a bit.
    It has also highlighted that while Engine Operating Mode is of high level interest, it doesn't assist at all with determining what tables are active, just whether a Regen is happening or not.

To get successful logging and display of these new fields I had to remove the .upf file of the car I was tuning in the ..\HPTuners\VCM Scanner\Vehicles directory and force a scanner repoll after connecting to the car with engine running. The Base Operating Mode value does do some funky (linear) diag routines at times, so that's something new for me.

Oh, if anyone knows how to the determine the active MAP with what we have, I'd love to know.
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    Actually yes, just in the last week.
    The latest beta I have (4.9.30) includes the extra channels. However, it has highlighted that the MAP parameter (for want of a better description) is needed to complete the picture. There are 5x (shown) MAPs that all MODE and CONFIG tables live within and it is unclear what the criteria is as to which is the active MAP. Another case will need to be logged... but at least we've reduced the possible number of active tables quite a bit.
    It has also highlighted that while Engine Operating Mode is of high level interest, it doesn't assist at all with determining what tables are active, just whether a Regen is happening or not.

To get successful logging and display of these new fields I had to remove the .upf file of the car I was tuning in the ..\HPTuners\VCM Scanner\Vehicles directory and force a scanner repoll after connecting to the car with engine running. The Base Operating Mode value does do some funky (linear) diag routines at times, so that's something new for me.

Oh, if anyone knows how to the determine the active MAP with what we have, I'd love to know.

thanks mate i will check it out when i get a chance. also any chance of getting some tuning tips on the sid209? would be greatly appreciated as this is my first diesel and probably not the best to be learning on either lol

Tuner
    also any chance of getting some tuning tips on the sid209? would be greatly appreciated as this is my first diesel and probably not the best to be learning on either lol
    Me too, lol!
    My approach is to log the hell of it to understand the nuances of a motors operation, hence why having all the needed channels logged is so important. Once that's done, identify what parts of its operation you want to change, and what parts you can leave alone. I'm a minimalist and am generally only interested in specific behaviour points that annoy me (like the uncivilised injector rattle/knock just before some gear changes). I have a wideband O2 sensor to add which will be important since the stock turbo has very little extra capacity, so adding fuel to air that's already there will need to be managed if more power is to be made without a turbo change. (IMHO, if you want more than ~10% extra airflow - timing and fuel will determine power - then the stock turbo won't be your friend, but there seems to be quite a bit of spare injector capacity)

So far I haven't altered any tables other than to [try and] locate what tables are active at certain operational times. Once I know which tables are relevant to me, then I'll make changes. It would be easy to make changes to a raft of tables to force a tuning change, but that seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water. I'm also conscious that some of those unused/unknown tables might be really important during abnormal operation.

Probably best to discuss the SID209 further in a dedicated thread rather than hijack this one.
    Last edited by VFL77; 09-27-2020 at 06:07 PM.
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    Those logging parameters don?t seem to align with the available maps? if I lock it on injection config 4 what happens when it?s in Mode 0? Which Torque to Fuel Quantity Table is it using? Can we get a parameter for that also. I?m on the dyno and can?t get a decent flow of changes.

I?ve managed to get fuelling decent in Config 4 Mode 2 by changing the TTFQT 0 & 2 but not even sure if this is correct.
    Last edited by jmsmotorsport; 12-12-2020 at 12:52 AM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by jmsmotorsport View Post
    Those logging parameters don't seem to align with the available maps? if I lock it on injection config 4 what happens when it's in Mode 0? Which Torque to Fuel Quantity Table is it using? Can we get a parameter for that also. I'm on the dyno and can't get a decent flow of changes.
    I've managed to get fuelling decent in Config 4 Mode 2 by changing the TTFQT 0 & 2 but not even sure if this is correct.
    There is nothing currently that shows which 'MAP-set'* is active. I have logged a case to have it included, but it hasn't turned up yet (that I know of). Feel free to log another case with Support as the more people who raise issues the more attention it will get (hopefully).
    I might be wrong, but the order I think things happen is MAP* (0-4), then MODE (0-9) and then InjectionConfig (1-9). MAP selection is mostly based on ECT and something else I haven't found (at running temp MAP 3&4 are actively used). MODE (EOM) is almost always 0 (2 for DPF regen). InjectionConfig selection is based on MODE and Pressure+EngineTemp+AirTemp. The default Injection Config for MODE0 is 0 which I assume is an auto ECU generated selection.

A challenge to locking a specific InjectionConfig-to-MODE selection is that the option you select might not have MODE tables available/exposed. At running temp, the engine runs in InjConfig 2 and 5 (4 when decelerating with fuel cut, and Regen?) but I haven't worked out what values of Pressure+EngineTemp+AirTemp drives InjConfig 2 or 5 selection.

Config 4 Mode 2 is [for] DPF regen, I think.

Depending on the HPT Editor screen you're in, 'MAP' might get called Map, Indicated Torque, TorqueToFuelQuantity, .... you need to be 'interpretive'.

There is a lot that needs to be learnt about how this ECU is configured with this motor. There's a bunch of things that don't make sense yet, so please post the things you find (questions and answers). Perhaps in new threads, please.
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    Awesome reply, from continuing digging a found good progress locking Config 1 and changing the Fuel Maps across all 0-4, except I?ve now hit a wall. When it?s in Config 4 - Mode 2 (dpf regen) with similar AFRs and Boost I make 133rwkw but in Config 1 Mode 0 it will make at max 114rwkw. I?m hitting a torque wall somewhere because more fuel makes little changes to max torque and kw on the dyno. These will be the tables I chase tomorrow. I?ve had little luck altering the torque tables as it throws me into spanner mode. I thought keeping all the information in this thread would be more useful for anyone that searches.

Tuner
    ... I make 133rwkw, but in Config 1 Mode 0 it will make at max 114rwkw. I'm hitting a torque wall somewhere
    ...I've had little luck altering the torque tables as it throws me into spanner mode.
    Have you altered the torque limiters for transmission/gearbox gears?
    Aaah, the Spanner. Yes, I know I've heard it can happen when torque is cranked up. I don't know what triggers it. A thought: disable certain DTC's at a time to see if you can locate the area that generates the spanner? You'd have to think it's something in the Trq Management (Eng & Trans) or Trq Model tables.

Maybe you might need to rescale the Inj Pulsewidth and Fuel Pressure tables to keep the injection event within the 'correct' timeframe for the possible Torque range of the tune? Just guessing.

Maybe people who deal with other Ford diesel ECU's can comment on spanner errors?
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    I altered max torque was at 350 went to 400 and I also upped the gear torque limits. That’s a good idea on the pulsewidths will have a look at that also. I will also dig into the dtc’s and will do some more comparing of the Mode 2 and Mode 0 torque management as they clearly run differently. I added that into my support ticket to hopefully get added into the data logging. I would have hoped that if the ecu is in Mode 0 it would also mean it’s using Mode 0 torque management and vice versa. The 1 minute plus re-flash time seems to take forever when doing it 50 times.

Tuner in Training
    I altered max torque was at 350 went to 400 and I also upped the gear torque limits. That’s a good idea on the pulsewidths will have a look at that also. I will also dig into the dtc’s and will do some more comparing of the Mode 2 and Mode 0 torque management as they clearly run differently. I added that into my support ticket to hopefully get added into the data logging. I would have hoped that if the ecu is in Mode 0 it would also mean it’s using Mode 0 torque management and vice versa.

Tuner in Training
    Well it’s been an eventful day. Have it singing on the dyno 133rwkw up from 106rwkw and up around 470-480nm from 360-370nm. Had some issues with limp on dyno thought I figured it out. Get off dyno and on the road and bang getting limp at part throttle. This is going to take some work. Back to the drawing board on this one.

Tuner
    Well it’s been an eventful day. Have it singing on the dyno 133rwkw up from 106rwkw
    We want graphs!

133rwkw up from 106rwkw and up around 470-480nm from 360-370nm
    What did the AFR look like through the rev range? Did you play with boost and timing at all?

This is going to take some work. Back to the drawing board on this one.
    Stick at it!
    Ian B

Tuner in Training
    What limp parameter was it setting?

EGT or a torque related one?

Surely it would be trans or coolant temp reduction.

Tuner
    Found some old notes. Were any of the codes generated P061B, U0401 or U012D?
    Ian B