Thread: Po332 Po327 8 degrees retard

Po332 Po327 8 degrees retard

Please bare with this is my first post here. this is a Gen 3 6.0 swap on a 5.3 pcm with all the segments from a 6.0 tune transfered over. Have a wide band gauge and have it running well and pretty dialed in. I just keep getting po332 and po327 codes. circuits are good, grounds are good, its not running lean or pinging at all. the 6.0 has 6.125 rods and forged pistons all internals balanced. 3 sets ok knock sensors including new AC delco ones which I thought would fix it. Im beginning to think its either the engione is too noisey with the new rods and pistons or if its in the tune. I keep getting 4- 8 degrees pulled out right around when PE comes in. I backed the timing off and it keeps coming back and I here zero knock or pinging.
    ive attached the tune in progress and 2 log files one with po332,327 set to no error reported and one with mil first error. when the dtcs are turned off I get no KR. I also noticed my control module voltage is 1 volt less than actual charging volts, wonder if that has anything to do with it.
    Thanks, hope someone can help.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by metalmanimal; 05-05-2020 at 05:25 PM. Reason: mo info

I've seen new sensors do that before. Sometimes you have to test the sensor with a multi meter at the parts store to make sure they are within spec.

If you disable the code and you can still pick up knock with the sensors that should be fine. I've had to turn them off before. I just smack the block or something with a mallet to make sure the knock sensor picks that up even with the sensors set to no error reported.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

What I don't understand is when the DTCs are enabled I get 4-8 KR whenever it goes into PE, with them disabled I get zero knock ever.
    Are the knock sensors off when po332 and po327 are set to no error ?
    Can I safely add more timing to this tune ?
    Its only getting 22 degrees at WOT.

If a knock code is present it will show knock when it's under enough load. It goes right to whatever is set in the tune, yours has the max at 8 degrees.

You can max out the burst knock table too, that is adding to your timing pull.

Adding more timing is not something you should do yet. You need to fix that airflow model first. Your VE table is kind of a disaster. They are so many spikes and dips in there. It must be smooth throughout the whole table like a factory one is.

You are out of injector with how you have it now, pushing 98% duty cycle. A cleaner VE should bring your duty cycle down some as well as I think you should aim for 12.2-12.3 commanded and see where you end up. Truck motors tend to like that 20-25 degrees, no reason to run it on the edge at 27+ when the return is minimal horsepower/torque.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Ok thanks, still in the middle of tuning it so that's why the VE is so raw. I can pull the timing down to 14 degrees heavy throttle and it still wants another 4-8 degrees removed so that's why Im thinking the sensors may be wonky. ill try some larger injectors and retune it and see if that helps.

If you're not going to add more power the injectors you have may be just fine. I think with the changes you'll drop to 85-90% duty cycle and be just fine.

But if you add more power, you already know you are at their limits.

So this is what seemed to fix the issue #1 the knock sensors that were in it needed a pretty good tap to get any frequency out of them. bought another set and they are much more sensitive. #2 I failed to mention this engine has a LS1 camshaft and about 10:1 compression which wants way more timing than a truck. On some logs I was getting 14 degrees at 90% WOT. increased it to 22 degrees and no KR codes or KR when logging so far. Not going to waste any more time tuning it till new injectors show up still maxing them out even with VE cleaned up.
    another thing noticed is these new knock sensors can break way to easy, heard the faintest crack when torqued down. had to chisel out the ones I just installed from GM because the middle part just spins trying to remove them. put a bead of JB weld around the top of the new sensors and only torqued them down about 5lbs.
    Thanks for the help.