Thread: Mutha Thumpr Cams on 3v mustang

Mutha Thumpr Cams on 3v mustang

Well guys its been a long haul since I found this forum and started tuning but I feel like I have learned a ton the past couple months. Finally have that 12.5 AFR on WOT, and damn near perfect fuel trims, which is an amazing feeling after so much trial and error. Now, the next mod is something I've wanted to do for years. Installing cams. My set of Comp Cams Mutha Thumpr cams are coming in the mail tomorrow and I'm stoked. I'm also installing phaser limiters by comp cams so i don't touch valves. I've read up on it and there are a couple guys mentioning changing the max spark advance on multiple different tables to 18-20, and mention some other stuff to dial in the idle. I want to hear what some of you have done for your 3v to have your mutha thumpr cams running titties and sounding good. Is there anything that you guys would recommend changing for power improvements and drivability?
    Last edited by jakesmithpbr; 05-06-2020 at 05:07 PM.

Anyone got any info? I installed them, idles great but when I get on the throttle it has pretty low power. Probably in some spark table but would appreciate some advice.

try to set idle spark cold in gear a little higher and p/n a Little lower.

I think you have delete imrc.....

Tuner
    Are you getting low power in light acceleration or at wot? I am not familiar with camed Mustangs, but I know cams will allow you to run more timing. Try to increase the timing 1 or 2 degrees at a time (in WOT area) in the borderline table and MBT table and watch the knock retard. Also you can disable VCT in the variable cam section.

Quote Originally Posted by yaqoubalmounes View Post
    Are you getting low power in light acceleration or at wot? I am not familiar with camed Mustangs, but I know cams will allow you to run more timing. Try to increase the timing 1 or 2 degrees at a time (in WOT area) in the borderline table and MBT table and watch the knock retard. Also you can disable VCT in the variable cam section.
    Well I'm running the comp cams phaser limiters, so I'm not exactly sure what to set my timing at. Not sure if I have to max out BLK and MBT tables to 20 in areas where the cells are above 20 or what.

Quote Originally Posted by f.creek-ranch View Post
    try to set idle spark cold in gear a little higher and p/n a Little lower.

I think you have delete imrc.....
    I've heard deleting the imrc helps with these cams but i should still be making power during part throttle and WOT.

Bama Race tune 93 Octane.hptI am in this issue as well. I have complete crap tuning from bama and it shows. I need to figure out these cams and tuning of them. I believe the cam limiters are 20* according to the tech information. My Mustang has K&N cold air intake, Flow teck Long tube headers, off road h-pipe no cats, full three inch exhaust and the cam limiters.

But alas I am extremely new to this. So who knows. This might help or not but at least I have eyes on this.

Advanced Tuner
    I think you are confusing ignition timing with cam timing, these are two completely different things. Your MBT spark has nothing to do with cam phasing. I agree with yaqoubalmounes, your ignition timing will probably end up being higher at low RPM because your going to be bleeding compression.

Potential Tuner
    I have this cam in my 5.4L3v f150?.
    What was your tuner strategy you came up with?

Potential Tuner
    I have this cam in my 5.4L3v f150?.
    What was your tuner strategy you came up with?