Thread: 2011-2014 control pack crank relearn

Advanced Tuner

2011-2014 control pack crank relearn

Hello all. I have a swap car (e36 bmw) with a gen 1 5.0. Running on a gen 1 control pack from ford. It has a gen 3 bottom end, new clutch and flywheel and lm intake cams now (was a stock truck motor before it blew up).

It will need a crank relearn since the flywheel and clutch are new. I?ve heard and read horror stories about this function in vcm scanner. Is it pretty straightforward and works now? Worst case it can go to a dealer I suppose but I dunno how they?d handle a control pack swap car lol.

Thanks for any help!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mattlinke View Post
    Hello all. I have a swap car (e36 bmw) with a gen 1 5.0. Running on a gen 1 control pack from ford. It has a gen 3 bottom end, new clutch and flywheel and lm intake cams now (was a stock truck motor before it blew up).

It will need a crank relearn since the flywheel and clutch are new. I?ve heard and read horror stories about this function in vcm scanner. Is it pretty straightforward and works now? Worst case it can go to a dealer I suppose but I dunno how they?d handle a control pack swap car lol.

Thanks for any help!
    Yeah, there have been issues with VCM scanner and the relearn process, I personal use a Snap on Apollo to do relearn procedures, If its not supported by the scan tool, then i use the IDS or FJDS to do the relearn.

Also works from an SCT X4.

Advanced Tuner
    does anyone know if an nguage can be used if it was previously married to another car? I assume its a Lund nguage. i realize this is not an HPT related question but i dunno where to look for that answer lol.

Advanced Tuner
    The crank relearn isn’t associated with a tune. I also have done a crank relearn via nGauge. There are certain criteria that have to be met in order for it to be successful though. AC off, coolant temp within a certain range, probably a few other things.

Did HP Tuners really never fix the issue with crank relearn?

They did not, and don't seem to hold it as a priority:

Eric Krupp (HP Tuners)

Jan 13, 2023, 10:50 AM CST

Thank you for contacting HPT Support.
    We are aware of this situation and there is no eta on when the Ford process will be fixed. If you need to do a crank relearn please use a Ford IDS or a trip to the dealership.

Sincerely,
    Eric Krupp
    HP Tuners LLC
    Last edited by CCS86; 01-13-2023 at 10:58 AM.

I was able to do a crank relearn on mine after getting the tune a little closer. I was able to at first but that was because the tune was pretty far off and having issues. But once it was closer then the relearn took without really any issues. It was on a 2014 GT500 stock computer. Is that just an issue with the control pack?