Thread: 2018 F150 - How to keep Grill Shudders open

Advanced Tuner

2018 F150 - How to keep Grill Shudders open

I see there is a table for Grill shudders ( 0% to 100%). Does anyone know how to keep these open 100% of the time? Thanks!

Grill Shutter A is the main shutter in front of the radiator
    Grill SHutter B is the secondary one in front of the intercooler

100 = fully open

Grill Shutters.png

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks! I should have mentioned that I updated both, and only the radiator shutters open fully. The intercooler stays closed. I know they work, because when I shut the car off, they open. This was done in 'Park'. I wonder if I put it in 'Drive' they open?
    Last edited by SVT_Z06; 05-07-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Click the dropdown for shutter override. Change to enable. Then change the shutter base position to 100. That will make them always open

What does this do?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_LT View Post
    Click the dropdown for shutter override. Change to enable. Then change the shutter base position to 100. That will make them always open
    There isn't a 'Shutter Override' option that I can see.

I see 'Hardware Switch' and I can change that to present or not present.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SVT_Z06 View Post
    There isn't a 'Shutter Override' option that I can see.

I see 'Hardware Switch' and I can change that to present or not present.
    Download the latest vcm beta, shutter override should be on the latest beta

Advanced Tuner
    It doesn't appear for me.

I reviewed the 2020 F150 file I posted earlier, and it's there. Mine was built on 3/18.

Bump.

I'm having a similar issue on my 2018.....

No matter what you set Shutter "B" value to, the shutter still behaves like stock, that being is stays closed until you get to about 3/4 throttle then it goes 100% open, then back to closed once you back off on the throttle. Not very well suited for performance I would think, would much rather have constant ram air through the intercooler at all times less just under heavy throttle, and the time it takes to open may affect IAT/charge air temp rise rate I would think.

There is no shutter override in my OS (PKFK5D2), only shutter base position and hardware switch. Setting base position to 100% or higher has no affect. Setting hardware switch to disabled has no affect.

Shutter A follows the table no problem though, it's only shutter B that has the issue......
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Quote Originally Posted by 96gt4.6 View Post
    Bump.

I'm having a similar issue on my 2018.....

No matter what you set Shutter "B" value to, the shutter still behaves like stock, that being is stays closed until you get to about 3/4 throttle then it goes 100% open, then back to closed once you back off on the throttle. Not very well suited for performance I would think, would much rather have constant ram air through the intercooler at all times less just under heavy throttle, and the time it takes to open may affect IAT/charge air temp rise rate I would think.

There is no shutter override in my OS (PKFK5D2), only shutter base position and hardware switch. Setting base position to 100% or higher has no affect. Setting hardware switch to disabled has no affect.

Shutter A follows the table no problem though, it's only shutter B that has the issue......
    When the shutter is open, unplug it.

Quote Originally Posted by LastPlace View Post
    When the shutter is open, unplug it.
    I have thought about that....but my worry is corrosion of the pins on the open pigtails and shutter actuator should I want to re-enable them at a later time.

Would be nice to just lock them in the software, but for now, unplugging and taping up the harness end looks like the only option.
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Just got an e-mail from support, Grille Shutter Override should be in the latest Beta starting tomorrow.

As always, Support is awesome. Thank You!
    '17 Whipple'd S550

Advanced Tuner
    Nice! Thanks for the update.

Long before this post was updated, I just unplugged it. It leaves a soft code, but well worth the cooling.