Thread: Vct disabled

Vct disabled

gen 2 5.0, 2.9l whipple, ID1050X, return fuel system, E85.

vct schedule mode pid shows disable all the time.

Have not changed anything with vct to get this to happen.

Im just trying to learn how to do this. any help would be appreciated

here is the tune file and a data log filemach1stoich9.85 whipple maf.hpl
    1sp mach1 latest file mostly coping 155.0whipple 132.hpt

sorry wrong tune file, this is the right one.

1sp mach1 test stoich9.85 maf cal from whipple.hpt

Any one have an idea what I may have done? Or what I should try to fix it?

Advanced Tuner
    I see closed loop fault in the log there which might be the cause of VCT Disabled. What does your DTCs show? Why are you adjusting MAF Voltage? Trims are way off too.

Did you change something in the tune and then this happened or it just happened w/o tune change?
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

vct has never worked. its always in map point 20

what are you talking about with the maf voltage? ive not adjusted it.

thanks for replying

Tuner
    Screenshot (1).png

One thing I noticed is your MP max delta above BP is 0 and max inferred MP is 15 ps(N/A setting). These should be closer to what boost levels you are putting out. I posted a copy of my settings above. try these settings. I am new to tuning but have a sneaky suspicion that these settings affect vct. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in on this. Hope it helps

Thank you very much. I will try this tonight at respond back.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcbryantllc View Post
    vct has never worked. its always in map point 20

what are you talking about with the maf voltage? ive not adjusted it.

thanks for replying
    The VCT has never worked? When you purchased the car it didn't have a working VCT?

The MAF voltage is different between the two tunes you posted. If you've never adjusted it then maybe your tune is corrupted? Otherwise how do you explain this..

Changes.PNG

Why didn't you reply about the DTCs or the fuel trims? Good luck!
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.

I have not had a chance to get back to the car. Sorry I didn't respond to you Blackbolt22. My file does not show all 0 in maf voltage.

this is what my tune file shows. I don't know why its showing up like that when you view it.
    maf period.PNG
    maf voltage.PNG

I also do not have any codes.

I do know my fuel trims are off. I believe I have a lazy O2 on bank 2. Im going to swap them and see if the -28% fuel trim goes to bank 1. If so then i will install a new O2.

The calibration is a 2015 Mustang 5.0 manual that has had the Pats disabled.

Also I have a rolling Idle that I believe is due to the transport delay. I added to it but I think it should be stock after seeing what happened to a stock 2017 5.0 when transport delay was adjust due to long tubes. tonight I will try fixing the rolling idle and then adjust MAF to fix fuel trims

Tonight I changed transport delay back to stock. I changed max map vs airflow and max map above delta bp to what RRYANFLA recommended.

Fuel system stayed at closed loop normal and my rolling idle is gone.

VCT still says disabled

weird thing is bank 2 use to show -28% on short term fuel trims
    now bank 1 is showing -28%.

even though I'm not making huge strides on getting this engine to run perfect. it is making progress and I'm having a blast learning.

here is the log from tonight
    transport delay to stock, map max vs airmass and max map delta above bp.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    My file does not show all 0 in maf voltage. this is what my tune file shows. I don't know why its showing up like that when you view it.

I do know my fuel trims are off. I believe I have a lazy O2 on bank 2. Im going to swap them and see if the -28% fuel trim goes to bank 1.
    The "all 0 in maf voltage" is the difference between the (2) tunes you posted showing that it indeed changed somehow.

Fuel system stayed at closed loop normal and my rolling idle is gone.

VCT still says disabled

weird thing is bank 2 use to show -28% on short term fuel trims
    now bank 1 is showing -28%.
    Actually in the first log you posted bank 1 and 2 trims were off but in sync. Now in this latest log bank 1 is 'stuck'?!!!! Looks like Bank 2 is way more stable at idle so you're at least going in the right direction there.

Also let me point out that your knock detection is being triggered constantly for some reason showing in both logs. Are you sure there are no codes? Post your latest tune from tonight so we can check your changes.

Blackbolt22 I see what you are talking about now with the MAF voltage. i have not adjusted the maf voltage. Do you recommend i change the maf voltage to a specific voltage range?

If you watch the original log again. the fuel trims only start to stay even when the fuel system #1 status go from cl-normal to cl-fault.
    the most resent log i put up with the transport delay changed and map max changed. the fuel system #1 status never went to cl-fault.
    Its weird the -28 goes from bank 2 to bank 1.

i did notice the knock detected pid shows yes on and off. i am going to check for anything around the engine checking for false knock since the engine sounds good.

i didnt get a chance to spend time on the car tonight. i will this weekend though

Tuner
    Is this your stock strategy that you are tuning or is this a different strategy? Maybe try a different strategy. I am very curious to find out what would cause vct to be disabled besides disabling the vct in the tune.

Advanced Tuner
    Blackbolt22 I see what you are talking about now with the MAF voltage. i have not adjusted the maf voltage. Do you recommend i change the maf voltage to a specific voltage range?

If you watch the original log again. the fuel trims only start to stay even when the fuel system #1 status go from cl-normal to cl-fault.
    the most resent log i put up with the transport delay changed and map max changed. the fuel system #1 status never went to cl-fault.
    Its weird the -28 goes from bank 2 to bank 1.

i did notice the knock detected pid shows yes on and off. i am going to check for anything around the engine checking for false knock since the engine sounds good.

i didnt get a chance to spend time on the car tonight. i will this weekend though
    I'm still waiting to find out from you if you bought the car with VCT disabled or not. rryanfla is right too we need to know more about how you began this journey.

Also the first tunes you posted when comparing to a stock tune, it seems like you decreased transport delay/times relative to stock. The consensus is to increase these with the addition of longtubes. Perhaps you are still going in the right direction by increasing back to stock and should now try adding more. I'd sure be playing around with that especially if it moved your problem from bank 2 to 1 and got rid of the CL - Fault - or find out what did! It would only take a flash or two.

Good luck this weekend! I'm going to take mine out for a spin as well.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rryanfla View Post
    Is this your stock strategy that you are tuning or is this a different strategy? Maybe try a different strategy. I am very curious to find out what would cause vct to be disabled besides disabling the vct in the tune.
    I was wondering that too. There are conditions that have to be met.

Jcbryantllc have you considered doing a crank relearn?

Reading both Blackbolt22 and rryanfla questions and thoughts about the tune and things that had been changed made me think about everything that has been done for this engine swap.

Its actually my friends car. He got the engine, pcm and harness from a wrecked 2017 f150. mated it to a t56 I think.
    has tubular subframe, long tube headers, 2.9l whipple with 132mm throttle body, ID1050X injectors, Fore return fuel system running E85.

He found a guy that will rework the engine harness for a 5.0 swap and could perform a PATS delete on the PCM.
    he got everything in the car and all it would do is crank.

Started figuring out that the injectors were not firing when cranking. That would mean PATS was not deleted.

He contacted the guy that reflashed the PCM. This was taking place march of 2019. My friend was told that the guy thought he wanted it with the automatic trans still so the pcm only had pats deleted. So the pcm was still looking for the automatic trans and that is why it wouldn't start. My friend trailered the car round trip 12 hours to have the guy fix the issue.
    The guy reflashed the truck pcm to a mustang because he said at that time no one has figured out how to convert a 2017 or newer f150 to manual.

so this pcm was originally a 2017 f150 5.0 auto trans. flashed to a mustang 5.0 manual trans.

While I've been messing with this car I had my suspicions that we would run into issues since it was not originally a mustang pcm.

I wired in the Mass air flow sensor since the harness was a truck harness.
    While wiring in the mass air flow sensor I ordered a 2015 to 2017 mustang 5.0 PATS deleted pcm PCM from The Parts Farm.
    Got the engine to idle ok with the mass air flow sensor intalled so I did not install the new pcm.
    I tried using info from other supercharged 2015-2017 5.0 and couldn't figure it out.
    nothing I did changed the vct disabled.
    I should have swapped in the new pcm when I got it the first day.

Put the new deleted mustang pcm in tonight.
    VCT is not disabled with the new pcm and it has never run this smooth. Here is a new lognewpcm e85 injectors throttle body.hpl

Fuel system #1 status is going to CL-fault again but the fuel trims have never been this good. Ill keep digging on that.

Thank you very much for the help

Advanced Tuner
    OMG I knew it was gonna be something crazy! This is like someone showing up at the doctor, complaining of pains all over, but leaving out the fact that they fell down the stairs. Next time lead with this info lol.

Why do you need a harness, is this even a Mustang? You said "gen 2 5.0, 2.9l whipple, ID1050X, return fuel system, E85." I've been assuming this whole time it's a modified Mustang. I guess Gen2 could mean anything with a Gen2 engine hahaha

To me, the PCM is trying to correct that -28% but failing so it Faults. I'd try the transport delay idea I suggested earlier since popping a tune in is easy and then dig further after that. Looks like you're making progress though!

The combination is in a 2004 mach 1. I didn't want to get to much information in the beginning. I've been a master ford tech for over 15 years. I've experienced working on modified and stock vehicles people jump to conclusion before trying to get data and perform test to diagnose a problem. Tuning is new to me but I'm trying to go about it with the same thought as diagnosing a concern on a vehicle. Blackbolt22 you did great. I appreciate all the questions you asked and didn't hold back. I will try the transport delay as you suggested and will post back. Thanks