Thread: Coyote cookbook

Tuner in Training

Coyote cookbook

Hello all been lurking for a while and feel overwhelmed with probably alot of stupid questions. I purchased the cookbook and read it followed as it says and am ready to dial in the maf. But before i do so I spent a few hours modding the tables line by line to get the this right i know probably things i could have skipped but i figured its probably the best way to learn. I do have a couple of questions before i tune the car tho. I just want to make sure i read things correctly. There was a patch for rpm do i just include that into my saved tune or should i tune it with patch then retune? Can that be taken out if i return the car to stock? Also i used the cookbooks recomendations for cam timing and overlap and angles i just want to verify they are safe I am pretty sure they are but i did see a warning with the spark tables and i dont want to make an expensive mistake and now would be the time to correct it. The car is a 2012 mustang auto competely stock i have parts waiting to go on but figured id start basic one at a time until i get the tables and stuff sorted out. Also i noticed something have changed locations like the cookbook says where to go but then i have to search for it in other tables is that something that recently changed bc software changes? I have a cai ported 18 mani 47lbs injectors and longtubes waiting to go on one at a time. Sorry for the longwinded post and thank you for any help

whats the rpm patch your talking about? I also have to cookbook. what page is it on?

Tuner in Training
    if you open VCM editor theres a microchip icon in the top says OS open that and you will see the patch. Im just tryinng to figure out if I applied it right. Have you been finding that the cookbook menus and the editor menus or options dont always match up? i dont kno if its just the fact the cookbook is older now or if its just me not being able to find stuff

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by shelbe67 View Post
    Have you been finding that the cookbook menus and the editor menus or options dont always match up? i dont kno if its just the fact the cookbook is older now or if its just me not being able to find stuff
    1. The Cookbook is outdated and lots of parameters have been renamed or re-categorized in the VCM Suite since the Cookbook was published.
    2. Search in the VCM Suite Navigator by pressing CTRL+N or go to Edit>Navigator. This might not help if it was renamed completely...

I wish I could help you all on the RPM Patch but I haven't found the need to spin my Coyote to the moon yet, lol

Also @ the OP. Tip: Press the enter key to split your ideas into paragraphs when you post so it's easily readable for others. I read your post on my phone and it was very rough but even on the desktop it's difficult....
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

I agree a lot of things in the coyote cookbook do not match up to gen2 and newer strategies. but it gives you an idea and does help sometimes more then not having any knowledge at all.

I bought the Master Engine Tuner book. http://www.masterenginetuner.com/ This book has been revised 3 times already.
    This book is not coyote specific but it does address newer coyote strategies. They go over case studies of different vehicles platforms and the specific things that had to be changed to reach the goals the customer was going for with their car. One of the case studies I'm following in the book right now is a coyote swapped AC cobra. they are covering bolt-ons, engine swaps and forced induction.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcbryantllc View Post
    I agree a lot of things in the coyote cookbook do not match up to gen2 and newer strategies. but it gives you an idea and does help sometimes more then not having any knowledge at all.

I bought the Master Engine Tuner book. http://www.masterenginetuner.com/ This book has been revised 3 times already.
    This book is not coyote specific but it does address newer coyote strategies. They go over case studies of different vehicles platforms and the specific things that had to be changed to reach the goals the customer was going for with their car. One of the case studies I'm following in the book right now is a coyote swapped AC cobra. they are covering bolt-ons, engine swaps and forced induction.
    I purchased mine about 2 or 3 years ago. I don't regret it. It would be great if they revised it for Gen2/3 and added more to Gen1. This could bring in new sales from Gen2/3 owners and give us loyal customers an update.

Do you get free updates to your e-book with master engine tuner? Do you think it's worth buying in addition to the Cookbook or covers same stuff? This case study idea sounds interesting.

What setups do they use for Coyote case studies? Like what year car and mods?
    Last edited by blackbolt22; 05-10-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    Knock Retard is the reduction or prevention of knock by lowering ignition timing:

(+) Adding Knock Retard = Reducing Timing. PCM is seeing knock.
    (--) Lowering Knock Retard = Increasing Timing. PCM isn't seeing knock.
    __________________________________________________ ________

2014 Mustang GT Premium. VMP Gen2R Supercharged with an FTI 3000rpm Converter. JLT, BMR, Steeda, Viking, etc.
    Don't fix it if it ain't broken | Maximum effort gets maximum results

Tuner in Training
    Blackbolt22 I will keep that in mind when i pot again sorry about that but makes sense and probably why I didnt get many responses. I would really like to learn more with this tuning since I feel very locked in relying on someone else tuning my car when I make a mod.

I've not owned the master engine tuner very long. Reading the cook book and master engine tuner. I feel the master engine tuner actually talks about it from a calibrators perspective and they go into pretty detailed explanation. I feel the cook book is this is what we do and it might work for you. I think the master engine tuner is only $20. then you download it from an email.

They don't specify what year the coyote is in the case study but they try to explain from the different generations of coyote.

They do cover how to adjust slope in the speed density and torque and torque inverse.

I just look at it as more knowledge.

Advanced Tuner
    So is the cookbook worth the price if tuning a gen 2 or 3, or is there a better option?

I feel it is better information then none? Id like to order The Tuning Schools coyote book. They are coming out with new books soon.