Thread: Ford knock strategy

Tuner in Training

Ford knock strategy

Can someone help me understand the ford knock strategy. I've tried to research and either I'm making it more complicated than it is or no one is sharing.

I started tuning a friends car and was logging the knock retard/advance. Turns out the tune we thought was stock when we unmarried the SCT was not stock. So the previous tune had the max retard and max advance set to 0.

At the end since we weren't seeing any knock at the time we did log the kr sensors themselves. The max value was 1500 during our final run. We were on a dyno and everything went smooth.

Is the only way to tell if the ecu is determining knock is if those tables are populated with values?

Quote Originally Posted by Draven8795 View Post
    Can someone help me understand the ford knock strategy. I've tried to research and either I'm making it more complicated than it is or no one is sharing.

I started tuning a friends car and was logging the knock retard/advance. Turns out the tune we thought was stock when we unmarried the SCT was not stock. So the previous tune had the max retard and max advance set to 0.

At the end since we weren't seeing any knock at the time we did log the kr sensors themselves. The max value was 1500 during our final run. We were on a dyno and everything went smooth.

Is the only way to tell if the ecu is determining knock is if those tables are populated with values?
    Post your tune file should be pretty easy to sort out

Tuner in Training
    stock tune 4 percent fuel down 2 total timing_gold.hpt

Attached is the tune file. Last week he came back down with the car and i threw a -5 into the max retard table and it was pulling all 5 degrees but as far as i can tell the max timing advance is only going to 26 or 27 (before it pulls) and the millivolts on the knock sensors are hovering around 1000 to 1500 each run (I assume it's millivolts)

Log attached as well

street pull with knock table.hpl
    Last edited by Draven8795; 05-10-2020 at 08:34 AM.

stock tune 4 percent fuel down 2 total timing_gold.hpt

Attached is the tune file. Last week he came back down with the car and i threw a -5 into the max retard table and it was pulling all 5 degrees but as far as i can tell the max timing advance is only going to 26 or 27 (before it pulls) and the millivolts on the knock sensors are hovering around 1000 to 1500 each run (I assume it's millivolts)

Log attached as well

street pull with knock table.hpl
    if those tables are set to zero - the ecm can't control knock add or subtract

Here are 3 stock files from the hptuner repository ----- https://www.hptuners.com/my-account/tunerepository

one is a stock auto, one is a stock manual, one is a stock "shelby" file

I would return all the tables to stock and use the shelby as a reference to allow the knock sensors to add timing2007 mustang 4.6 manual - stock.hpt2007 mustang 4.6 manual - stock - shelby tune from ford.hpt2007 mustang 4.6 auto stock.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Thanks I'll take a look. The fun part of this was that he had an SCT on it. So we reverted to "STOCK" well it had a tune on it before because the "stock map" from the SCT wasn't actually stock. So all i did was pulled 2 degrees out and it wound up making more power. But not realizing the Max Retard tables were zero'd out.

So just to test out the knock strategy I put -5 into the Max Retard table and sure enough it was pulling timing. But is there some correlation to the knock sensor volts? That's what i'm really wondering about seems to be detecting a lot of knock with seemingly not a lot of timing in it. It pulled all 5 degress in the log i posted on a 3rd gear pull on an on ramp.

I have the stock tune also d/l, our plan is to revert all the tables to stock like you said and tune from scratch. There were 3 different tunes on the SCT plus the already tuned stock map. So who knows what's really been done and how they tuned it.

Thanks I'll take a look. The fun part of this was that he had an SCT on it. So we reverted to "STOCK" well it had a tune on it before because the "stock map" from the SCT wasn't actually stock. So all i did was pulled 2 degrees out and it wound up making more power. But not realizing the Max Retard tables were zero'd out.

So just to test out the knock strategy I put -5 into the Max Retard table and sure enough it was pulling timing. But is there some correlation to the knock sensor volts? That's what i'm really wondering about seems to be detecting a lot of knock with seemingly not a lot of timing in it. It pulled all 5 degress in the log i posted on a 3rd gear pull on an on ramp.

I have the stock tune also d/l, our plan is to revert all the tables to stock like you said and tune from scratch. There were 3 different tunes on the SCT plus the already tuned stock map. So who knows what's really been done and how they tuned it.
    I think the only "known" is that whoever "tuned" it before turned the knock sensors off in the high load area and likely hacked up more then that.

Get it back to stock and start over, you guys will get done and be safer.

Log load as a faction if its available and use a wideband to correct fueling.

If you want help along the way, post up your tune and log with specific questions and you will likely get what your looking for.

Tuner in Training
    Log load as a?

Yea i figured that. So I guess bottom line then is if the ecu is using the max retard table it's determining there's knock and it needs to be corrected.

Log load as a fraction

for sure on the knock

Tuner in Training
    Can you explain that piece? Right now I'm just logging absolute load i think it was.

Can you explain that piece? Right now I'm just logging absolute load i think it was.
    always try to log pids that match the table axis you will be adjusting.

The borderline spark table’s axis are “rpm” and “load” (shown as a faction)

Load as a faction will show load as the table axis does.