Thread: 4L60/4L80 Segment Swap Rare OS

Potential Tuner

4L60/4L80 Segment Swap Rare OS

Hello everyone. Totally green to the world of tuning and I wasn't looking to start off with a trial by fire. I have a 2002 Camaro run off the stock P01 computer. LS3 swapped, cable throttlebody, with a 4L60e. Blew the 4l60e up twice so I swapped in a Jake's 4L80e. I've read up on how to do the segment swap which seems easy assuming you can find another stock file with your OS ID#. I'm not the original owner of the car and I do not have the original file. The car was tuned by someone before I brought it to a tuner. My tuner didn't do anything exotic to my knowledge other than adjust engine parameters (fueling, timing, etc.)

My OS is 2020003

Only thing I found was this which makes me feel like I'm up a creek. https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...EFI-live-1-bar

"If you can't read it then its probably tunerlocked, if you can read it and you get some oddball operating system like 2020003 in the os id section of the cal details window its just a custom operating system and you can probably write over the pcm if you have the unlimited license."

Based on https://tis2web.service.gm.com/ the car came with OS 12212156

I have no clue what my options are. I have not licensed my file yet since I just got HP Tuners and my tuner did all the work via his device. It seems like I have a custom OS since I get a blank screen when opening the OS tab (have advanced view enabled). If anyone can point me in the right direction it'd be greatly appreciated. Every step of this swap has been a nightmare.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The thread has your answer.

You can't do anything with that file unless you flash it to a factory operating system. If you pulled the tune from it that is good because you will want to save that file to copy information from in the future.

So your options are to buy a stock another stock computer, flash it to your VIN with a GM tool. Or you can take your computer that you have now and get it flashed with a GM tool to your VIN. Doing it this way stops you from wasting credits because you'd have to license your computer, then license a stock 2002 camaro OS file and now you're up to 4 credits burned.

Whichever way you go will still allow you to copy and paste the information in the tune you have now into your new file once you get it going.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for your response 5FDP. So if I understand you correctly you are saying I can do the following options:

1. Buy another PCM with the OS I desire and my VIN entered. (Many companies sell this) Licence it with 2 credits. Copy over all my current settings.
    2. Take my PCM and flash a stock OS on it. Use another tool (Tech2 etc.) and change the VIN to my Camaro's VIN. Licence it, then copy over my current settings.

One issue I see is what OS should I be using? 12212156? The reason I ask is that I have no idea what the differences in my custom OS are. It probably isn't copy and paste because there may be different options/menus available based on the OS. I'm running 2 bar speed density. I have deleted the MAF. Would I flash OS ID 12212156, save a copy, and then apply the 2 bar speed density enhancement? In my custom OS I have separate VE tables for primary and boost, so I imagine I'd have to splice those tables.

Also I know HPTuners has the ability to to change the VIN. From my understanding the software uses a unique ID number in the PCM to identify if it is licensed; it doesn't use the VIN to check the license because you could fool HPTuners easily this way.

Would this work instead:

1. Download stock OS (assume 12212156 for this example) with a random VIN
    2. Flash it to the PCM (requires 2 credits)
    3. Change VIN in HPTuners to reflect Camaro's VIN
    4. Apply 2 bar speed density enhancement
    5. Copy over all settings from the original file on first thread post. (May be some gaps that need filling depending on differences in OS)

You're thinking about it backwards, the VIN you use (whether you buy one pre-flashed or have it flashed yourself) determines what the OS will be. Either way the OS will be the latest revision available for that VIN from GM TIS. So if you want a specific OS you need to figure out which car/truck used that OS and then harvest a VIN from something that matches.

With GM tools you can't pick which OS you want, and can't go back and find an older archived version. They only offer the latest revision.

Trying to do a full reflash like this using HPT will very possibly leave you chasing strange problems that nobody can figure out, HPT doesn't write the entire PCM/ECM like the dealer tools do.

I plugged your VIN, 2G1FP22G922151070, into TIS and this is what came out:

Attached Images Attached Images

Potential Tuner
    hi i need a 4l80e segment swap for a p59 dbc os #12606960 Thanks Brandon

Here you go.