Thread: high IAT-bypass bad??

Advanced Tuner

high IAT-bypass bad??

Helping another member and we have a issue with high iat. He is seeing iat over 200* in stop and go traffic, drops down to 130ish when just driving and looking at a few logs seems like the temp sits around 140-180 on any giving day. this is with 80* ambient temps. Would a bad bypass valve cause this?? Also the car isn't seeing much boost either less than 3#. I've had him check to make sure the i\C pump is working and that the hoses are routed correctly and not kinked in any way as well as no air in the system. Could the temp sensor be bad?? or am i missing something here. Also could the bypass valve be checked with a vacuum pump to make sure its working correctly?? Its hard to try to diagnose these thing over the phone and emails and im just trying to help. My first assumption is that there is air in the system but not seeing any boost makes me also believe something is going on with the bypass valve and maybe they could be related.
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam

Senior Tuner
    Bad bypass valve I've found typically to have high IAT when off throttle and at idle and when you get into boost IAT will actually go down.

You can test bypass valve by putting air to it and making sure it responds yes.

Advanced Tuner
    That was what i was thinking but haven't actually had any experience with it. He is still working on his tune getting fueling dialed in and fuel trims, Tried to show him some histograms and what channels to log and what to watch for, just really the basic stuff and how to make adjust for fuelling with ann off.
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam

you both been huge help , is their any way to log the bypass valve and check for open close status ? I verified it shuts soon as the car starts but when does it open, or when the car first fires and I see it move complety to the one side and stay there is that open or closed ? and what status would it stay in as fstdodgeky said he thinks its compressing the air over and over heating it up, and when I start to move the motor is digesting some of the hot air is the reason I see them starting t drop ? so lost here

Senior Tuner
    Have someone rev the engine and listen to see if bypass reacts might work. It might just need more coolant if it still had some air in the system after first filling up supercharger coolant system.

found it. thats for hep everyone,, one of the connections on the blower coolant pump was fucked,, all is good now with the temps.