Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reading engine oil pressure sensor

Tuner in Training

Reading engine oil pressure sensor

Hi,
    I'm a noob, but I did a search...

In the scanner, I went to the table view and inserted the PID for oil pressure. Everything reads fine in my vette.

In my kit car, which has a LS1 from an 02 camaro, the same PID reads -15.4 PSI.

The sensor is there and is hooked up.

Am I missing something?
    Last edited by 99c5vert; 03-21-2006 at 07:06 PM.

From memory its either broken by GM for the Fbody, or the oil pressure is wired directly to the cluster. The value returns junk in any case for the Fbody and there's nothing that can be done about it
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Some GM cars don't have oil pressure sensors, like the J-bodies, they have oil pressure switches, basically they close the contacts when the pressure gets below a set point, so that particular PID returns junk values.
    2.4L Twin Cam Cavalier Z24 | T3 Super 60 @ 9 PSI | FMIC | TurboXS RFL | Greddy Profec B Spec II | Custom HO Intake Manifold | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | HP Tuners | 5 Speed Swap | Team Green LSD | SPEC Stage 3 Clutch | Fidanza Short Shifter | Prothane Control Arm Bushings | Carbon Fiber Hood

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the response. At least it wasn't something I did wrong (there is always a bright side).

At least for my dash display, I'll see if I can use one of the EIO pins to read it.

I'm thinking this is the same for the N-body. I was scanning the same thing and all values were -'ve too
    All Motor 2001 GA GT1

Tuner in Training
    Well, I looked, and the sender only has one wire... so, it's probably just a pressure switch as Shifted mentioned above.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 99c5vert
    Well, I looked, and the sender only has one wire... so, it's probably just a pressure switch as Shifted mentioned above.
    According to one of the guys at LS1Tech, it is a pressure sensor, but not hooked up to the PCM... goes directly to the dash.

Tuner
    It is a pressure sensor.... I had to change mine the other day, hooked it all back up...used the Oil Pressure PID and logged for a while....I let the car set and idle for about 10 mins...then all of a sudden it went to -15.4 ??? and now the guage in the cluster is maxed out... Im guessing that the wire got against something and is grounding out or something. I need to make some time and look at it again. I'll let ya'll know how it goes, when i find it.

FWIW it's a 2000 LS1 (F-body) engine.
    Murphy's Laws of War:
    Bullets Have The Right-Of-Way
    Friendly Fire....Isnt
    If It Is Strong Enough The Enemy Cant Get In....You Cant Get Out
    Tracers Point Both Ways

Advanced Tuner
    According to one of the guys at LS1Tech, it is a pressure sensor, but not hooked up to the PCM... goes directly to the dash.

that is correct... on F-Body's the signal goes directly to the dash, does not go through the PCM
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

Tuner in Training
    So, could a vette sensor be added and wired into the PCM? Would we be able to read the sensor, or would the PCM program not handle it?

Advanced Tuner
    PCM would likely not know what that input was... the Oil pressure on F-Body's is direct feed, whereas y-body's go through the PCM... w/out an operating system that knows pin xyz is used, it would probably be a dead signal to the PCM

But i could be wrong
    Mike Horist
    00 WS6 (TA) | 04 WS6 (GTP Comp G)
    Mike \\#at&\\ horist \\&dot$\\com

BOTH cars HP Tuners Tuned

Hi all,

First post on here, and having just acquired VCM Suite, Im learning alot already.

Im trying to log Oil Pressure (in the Primary Table), but getting no values at all in the Scanner.
    Does Oil Pressure go thru the PCM on Aussie LS1's ?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    8tb

Same here with the W-bodies, my Buick Regal reads 15.4 psi all the time. I went an bought a new sensor thinking the sensor was bad and it didn't fix it, so I kind of put two and two together
    2007 Pontiac G6 GTP ~ 3.6 VVT (LY7 10.2:1) w/ 6 speed auto/manual tap)
    14.358 N/A @ 96.57 mph
    2001 Regal LS ~ L32 GenV M90; PLX SM-AFR WB; 3.4 Blower Pulley; 18* WOT; XP CAM; TOGs; N* TB; Dynotech Stage 2 Trans
    13.288 @ 104.23 mph

Car Domain: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2291346/1

I too am trying to read oil pressure on the scanner. I have the PID selected, was hoping to see pressure build while cranking (new engine) but I get no reaction whatsoever??????
    2004 GTO M6, 403, Callies, compstar, wiseco, QTP HV oil pump, QTP 2 piece timing cover, EDC custom AFR 235's, LS6 intake, P1SC-1 Procharger maxed @ 13psi, 224/232 600/600 114 EDC custom cam, JBA shortie headers (thanks California) custom boost referenced return style fuel system with surge tank, walbro 255, staged magnafuel 4303, Dual LC-1, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gages, Nexus fP and boost gages.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    read post #2
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by b727pic
    I too am trying to read oil pressure on the scanner. I have the PID selected, was hoping to see pressure build while cranking (new engine) but I get no reaction whatsoever??????
    if you have a camaro setup (with the single wire oil pressure sensor), the pcm does not read that.

my workaround in my kit car was to use the connector from the A/C pressure sensor, since i don't have A/C.

I just bought a vette 3 wire oil pressure sensor and swapped out the camaro unit. Then I plugged in the A/C pressure sensor wiring to it (the harness was just the right length).

I used the scanner to read the A/C pressure, and used a user defined param to calc oil pressure.

if you have a camaro setup (with the single wire oil pressure sensor), the pcm does not read that.

my workaround in my kit car was to use the connector from the A/C pressure sensor, since i don't have A/C.

I just bought a vette 3 wire oil pressure sensor and swapped out the camaro unit. Then I plugged in the A/C pressure sensor wiring to it (the harness was just the right length).

I used the scanner to read the A/C pressure, and used a user defined param to calc oil pressure.
    my car is on 2004 GTO, I am told on the GTO forum that guys who are using the Aeroforce interceptor gauge can read oil pressure. I would presume then that HP Tuners should in fact display this reading, if an OBDII gauge does.

of course these guys are just starting their cars, not cranking them and looking for an oil pressure reading. For the purposes of my initial start I guess I should just go to a direct reading gauge......

thanks...
    2004 GTO M6, 403, Callies, compstar, wiseco, QTP HV oil pump, QTP 2 piece timing cover, EDC custom AFR 235's, LS6 intake, P1SC-1 Procharger maxed @ 13psi, 224/232 600/600 114 EDC custom cam, JBA shortie headers (thanks California) custom boost referenced return style fuel system with surge tank, walbro 255, staged magnafuel 4303, Dual LC-1, Dual Aeroforce Interceptor gages, Nexus fP and boost gages.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    From memory its either broken by GM for the Fbody, or the oil pressure is wired directly to the cluster. The value returns junk in any case for the Fbody and there's nothing that can be done about it
    So a person would basically need to start with a Y body file.. Or can we do a segment swap. I see the option under the system options tab..

I know this is an old thread.
    2001 Jimmy ,L31 with marine intake,CPC conversion,Nv3500 5 speed,SAS,Dana 44's front and rear,4.30 gears..

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bronc3buster842001 View Post
    So a person would basically need to start with a Y body file.. Or can we do a segment swap. I see the option under the system options tab..

I know this is an old thread.
    2006... Wow. I think that takes the record for what I've seen.

The F-Body and trucks have the sensor wired directly to the cluster.

To get oil pressure through the PCM you need a Y-Body sensor and wire it into the PCM (3 wires).
    No segment swap required, just enable under system tab. I have a couple working without issue.

When you do this, you will lose the gauge in the dash unless you add the sensor in a different location and keep the original. This may be a problem as it is threaded for the normal location.

I enabled it under the system tab. Would would 130 psi with the key on.. But I was using a sensor from a Buick FWD car. Its has the same hookup as a Y-boby, but has 1/4 NPT on it to work..
    2001 Jimmy ,L31 with marine intake,CPC conversion,Nv3500 5 speed,SAS,Dana 44's front and rear,4.30 gears..