Thread: Tuning questions

Tuning questions

Hi, I am new to tuning, and I am pretty Knowledgeable with stuff and like to learn all i can, probably why i question the tune in my car. I think overall it drives good, if i didn't know better. After looking at logs it made me think, Boost is fluttery though. I have a 2016 Charger scat pack, I had an e force 2650, headers and high flow cats installed by Petty's garage. After pulling the trigger and doing some research. I learned about the 392 pistons. I was told by them its all in the tune, we've done dozens with no issues. Well the tops blew off two pistons in less 4000 miles, i was just cruising at the time at 25 mph. I brought the car to them. They said they would help me rebuild it, which ended up being a hassle and a long story, that's taken care of. Needless to say my experience was bad and have not heard good things about them since. The engine was rebuilt with forged pistons, and had them install a comp cams custom blower grind, which i don't know the specs for and asked for them several times. Few questions I have is. The rear o2's are not set to enable. Is that normal? Boost flutters at part throttle, at WOT it bounces up and down 2 or 3 psi. Doesn't seem right to me. Fuel trims adjust a lot it seems at part throttle. I am getting a little knock and it seems to be running a little lean, running 93 in it. I have a WB installed. Just curious if someone wouldn't mind taking a look, for a second opinion, my being the first which I am just learn so its not all that good. I am talking to a tuner near me, but there a super busy right now. Waiting on them to send me channels they want me to log. They also said they had to fix a few of petty tunes. Thanks

Capture.PNG
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    I'll dig into your tune later on when I can but if you'll PM me your full name, I have a contact over there and will see if I can get the camp specs....

Do you know if you're running the stock TB?

Senior Tuner
    There are improvements to be made over that tune all around honestly. I glanced over it and checked the log of the pull. It's so much richer than it needs to be at full throttle leaving a lot of power to be had and depends on O2 sensors to add a lot of fuel to keep cruising AFR where it should be. The way boost moves around WOT I think you might have some belt slip. Part throttle not wanting to make much boost and fluttering boost is a common thing and typically tuning related though. I am not sure if your cam is locked out or not either but based on tune I think they might have installed cam locked instead of with a limiter. Not what I typically recommend but with good cam specs not really a big deal.

I have spent a lot of time testing on 392 with forged internals and PD blowers and can get it running good and driving really nice if you're interested in setting up a remote tune. You already have HP Tuners and wideband and are familiar enough to get logs and flash tunes so would be a pretty easy process. Should be able to get a setup like that running low 10s or better in the 1/4 on race gas and good tire and driving nice.

Send me a message at Facebook.com/TBRTuning or [email protected] if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrtuning View Post
    There are improvements to be made over that tune all around honestly. I glanced over it and checked the log of the pull. It's so much richer than it needs to be at full throttle leaving a lot of power to be had and depends on O2 sensors to add a lot of fuel to keep cruising AFR where it should be. The way boost moves around WOT I think you might have some belt slip. Part throttle not wanting to make much boost and fluttering boost is a common thing and typically tuning related though. I am not sure if your cam is locked out or not either but based on tune I think they might have installed cam locked instead of with a limiter. Not what I typically recommend but with good cam specs not really a big deal.

I have spent a lot of time testing on 392 with forged internals and PD blowers and can get it running good and driving really nice if you're interested in setting up a remote tune. You already have HP Tuners and wideband and are familiar enough to get logs and flash tunes so would be a pretty easy process. Should be able to get a setup like that running low 10s or better in the 1/4 on race gas and good tire and driving nice.

Send me a message at Facebook.com/TBRTuning or [email protected] if you're interested.

Really appreciate it. How can I check for belt slip? As for the cam. I don?t know if it locked either and was confused by that in the tune. On the work order, they installed a comp cams VVT Phase limiter. If that helps. I will contact you on Facebook.
    Last edited by ramdart74; 05-20-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Senior Tuner
    One quick thing to do is look for dust from the belt under the hood. Belt should be pretty tight and they do stretch over time.

Checked the belt. It’s pretty tight no dust. Around 3000 miles since the rebuild

I know this is an Old thread , I'm about to do a similar Tune on my 16 Charger With E Force. Do you Know what fuel pump and injectors you used ?
    TPSMotorsports.com
    Cesar Trevino
    140 Martinvale Lane
    San Jose, CA 95119
    Phone : 408-898-4632
    Direct : 408-709-3020
    Email : [email protected]

Click here to Join us on Facebook!

Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats,HorsePower Research, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Whipple, Vortech, Paxton, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, GHL Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...